Amazon acquires BRS

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's funny is all the people talking about how Marine Depot was the competition. No Amazon is and always was the competition for BRS and all aquarium retailers. Amazon is hard to compete with.

Acroalan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also live in CA and would order from MD when I needed something fairly quickly since their shipping time to my door was much shorter than BRS. Oh well.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I just saw this I order everything from Marine Depot and it comes pretty fast. Hope nothing really changes

12EA3CA3-E89D-4687-8CE1-7F88115DC91E.jpeg

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's funny is all the people talking about how Marine Depot was the competition. No Amazon is and always was the competition for BRS and all aquarium retailers. Amazon is hard to compete with.

This is very much true in my case. When I built my 180g last year, I only ordered a few things from BRS. The bulk of what I ordered came from Amazon.

Here's why:

1. Amazon ships faster and has free shipping(I already have prime). BRS charges me shipping on everything, and it takes them a few days longer on everything. Pay more to wait longer.

2. Amazon has a better selection. While there are a few items that BRS has that Amazon doesn't, for the most part I can get the exact same items from Amazon. At worse it's the same price, but often times it's cheaper due to some individual seller or whatever marking it down. While BRS is always full price. When I bought my Kessils, I saved over $150 by ordering off Amazon vs BRS. Meanwhile, I couldn't even buy my Jabeo return pump off BRS, because apparently even though it's by far the best bang for the buck, BRS is too good for them.

3. I have an amazon credit card which gives me 5% cash back on everything I order. So that $100 item only costs me $95.

Things I actually order and buy from BRS:

All my dry rock, marco, the cheap stuff.
Super glue - I love their big bottle of superglue.
Marco Cement - probably could have gotten it elsewhere, but I was already ordering everything else.
7 stage RODI system - I bought a cheaper one off Amazon 2 years ago, the BRS one is much better.
All my dosing additives. Can't beat BRS for these from what I've seen. I dose the 2 part and also the tropic marin 3 part system.

And that is it. I found better deals and/or products they don't carry elsewhere - mostly on Amazon.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I buy from a myriad of online retailers...............seldom Marine Depot or BRS and even less from Amazon. All three generally have higher prices and sales during holidays usually stink.

It's easy to compare prices and save plenty of $ for 20 minutes of online surfing.

First thing to consider is if they charge sales tax. For me that's a 7% up charge from BRS, Amazon and now Marine Depot.

Each online retailer also vary in reward points for discounts as well.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back