Amphipods annoying BTA

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a lot of amphipods in my tank all of a sudden and I’ve just seen them crawling over the BTA and even trying to go inside despite the BTA nearly closing up entirely. It usually shrinks at night but doesn’t normally close up like this.

Is this normal? I’m in the process of trying to get a mandarin which I’ve wanted for a while and will also help with the pod population. But do I need to do anything for the nem?

AE434ECE-FEB3-4E6B-B714-F832B6260A81.jpeg

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll get a lot of different opinions on amphiopods being annoying on here, but ime with over population of amphipods in a tank they defifently get big and aggressive and annoying so getting a fish that eats them is the way to go, to keep their numbers low, doesn’tneed to be a mandarin, a wrasse or dottyback would work too

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve got a lot of amphipods in my tank all of a sudden and I’ve just seen them crawling over the BTA and even trying to go inside despite the BTA nearly closing up entirely. It usually shrinks at night but doesn’t normally close up like this.

Is this normal? I’m in the process of trying to get a mandarin which I’ve wanted for a while and will also help with the pod population. But do I need to do anything for the nem?

Yes it is normal for BTA to close up like that at night. It's also normal for it to close up around food, and if it is able to catch/eat those pods good for it! I fed my BTAs 1-2x weekly with a bit of thawed out LRS Reef Frenzy

You’ll get a lot of different opinions on amphiopods being annoying on here, but ime with over population of amphipods in a tank they defifently get big and aggressive and annoying so getting a fish that eats them is the way to go, to keep their numbers low, doesn’tneed to be a mandarin, a wrasse or dottyback would work too

If you are planning a mandarin, then @spamvicious do not introduce anything that is going to eat all of your mandarin's food supply.

This is what I do to ensure I have enough pods for my mandarin and dragonet (because everything wants to eat the smallest part of food chain):

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I thought of a mandarin is my tank is only 40 gallons so I don’t know any wrasse I could get. I’ve heard dottybacks can be aggressive?. I’ve got two clowns so don’t want that.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I thought of a mandarin is my tank is only 40 gallons so I don’t know any wrasse I could get. I’ve heard dottybacks can be aggressive?. I’ve got two clowns so don’t want that.

In a 40g I think of the pink possum (sp?) wrasse. It is smaller than typical. Clowns once they are breeding may become the most aggressive fish you've ever seen if anything (you, fish, etc) disturbs those eggs. Mine would bite like being pinched hard by someone with sharp fingernails after I accidentally put my thumb into a patch of eggs trying to cover an aiptasia on same rock with F-aiptasia. Clowns never forgave me/us. Would go airborne during feeding. Dove out of tank at least 2 and maybe 3 times onto floor - once I didn't think the momma clown would live after its concussion.

No longer have anemones due to the coral and anemone battles. My boyfriend negotiated my getting rid of anemones and I did it as a package deal since I had a small 3 breeding harem living in 2 anemones. I miss my clowns. BUT I don't miss screaming during water changes... whole family thought my yelling 'ouch' 'ouch' 'ouch' was always very funny ... it wasn't funny... but I seriously do miss my clowns. I feel clowns do need anemones to truly be happy... so no clowns for me... (sad)

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 40g I think of the pink possum (sp?) wrasse. It is smaller than typical. Clowns once they are breeding may become the most aggressive fish you've ever seen if anything (you, fish, etc) disturbs those eggs. Mine would bite like being pinched hard by someone with sharp fingernails after I accidentally put my thumb into a patch of eggs trying to cover an aiptasia on same rock with F-aiptasia. Clowns never forgave me/us. Would go airborne during feeding. Dove out of tank at least 2 and maybe 3 times.

No longer have anemones due to the coral and anemone battles. My boyfriend negotiated my getting rid of anemones and I did it as a package deal since I had a small 3 breeding harem living in 2 anemones. I miss my clowns. BUT I don't miss screaming during water changes... whole family thought my yelling 'ouch' 'ouch' 'ouch' was always very funny ... it wasn't funny... but I seriously do miss my clowns. I feel clowns do need anemones to truly be happy... so no clowns for me... (sad)
I’ve had the clowns for 2 1/2 months and a couple of weeks ago they were so aggressive and attacking me every second. But they’ve calmed down a bit since, they are doing lots of cleaning of the rocks but haven’t seen any eggs.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the clowns for 2 1/2 months and a couple of weeks ago they were so aggressive and attacking me every second. But they’ve calmed down a bit since, they are doing lots of cleaning of the rocks but haven’t seen any eggs.

If they are cleaning rocks, then it is just a matter of time until they lay eggs! Congratulations!!

*IF* you want them to keep breeding (and they can go 20 years...) then keep in mind the amount of strain that causes human women - they can lose teeth even taking prenatal vitamins - so I'd go with foods with high oils and other 'good for them' nutrition... which also has downside you'll fight more nitrates, phosphates, algae, ... more skimmer cleanings, etc & lol... OR likely easiest to let them do it a few times, let the novelty wear off and then eventually they'll stop... but they can do it every 10 days/2 weeks if nutrition is right... I also don't miss that... now I can focus on overall tank health and not 'mommy' food at the one end... I've got enough specialized eaters in my 180...

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are cleaning rocks, then it is just a matter of time until they lay eggs! Congratulations!!

*IF* you want them to keep breeding (and they can go 20 years...) then keep in mind the amount of strain that causes human women - they can lose teeth even taking prenatal vitamins - so I'd go with foods with high oils and other 'good for them' nutrition... which also has downside you'll fight more nitrates, phosphates, algae, ... more skimmer cleanings, etc & lol... OR likely easiest to let them do it a few times, let the novelty wear off and then eventually they'll stop... but they can do it every 10 days/2 weeks if nutrition is right... I also don't miss that... now I can focus on overall tank health and not 'mommy' food at the one end... I've got enough specialized eaters in my 180...
I placed a plant pot in there just to see what happens but this is all very new to me so I’m not sure I would have much success. The pair are very nice tho so would have lovely markings. The pic is not recent lol, my tank will never be that clean again.

CF01C5BB-7B84-492E-81FC-0541432B7DAD.jpeg

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mandarin and a sixline wrasse in my tank. I still have plenty of large amphipods scurrying around the rocks at night because unfortunately, amphipods tend to hide during the day and come out at night when fish are asleep. I also have a bubbletip anemone and the amphipods aren't seeming to cause any issue with it. As noted, anemones tend to close up at night. I would be concerned if it wasn't opening up after the display lights come on.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mandarin and a sixline wrasse in my tank. I still have plenty of large amphipods scurrying around the rocks at night because unfortunately, amphipods tend to hide during the day and come out at night when fish are asleep.
Yeah I don’t expect the fish to solve the problem but could ensure the population doesn’t get out of control.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The pods have nothing to do with your anemone closing up. *repeat*

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pods have nothing to do with your anemone closing up. *repeat*
Yes I was just alarmed because the anemone had never closed up like that before and also had pods crawling all over it.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have been cleaning the rocks for years now. They're a lot meaner now that my nems host them. I can't put my hands in the tank without a shield.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From my experience (still only new) I have noticed different types of closing up of BTA and similar mushrooms, I have noticed that when food is introduced (target feed) they make like a bubble/ expand around then close in on itself. (see pics) . If annoyed they tend to just shrink, my clownfish is constantly on my BTA but it does not close.
As previously mentioned I think it grabbed itself a good meal

Attachments

• IMG20220905153205.jpg
    IMG20220905153205.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG20220905153201.jpg
    IMG20220905153201.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG20220917155526.jpg
    IMG20220917155526.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG20220916175712.jpg
    IMG20220916175712.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience (still only new) I have noticed different types of closing up of BTA and similar mushrooms, I have noticed that when food is introduced (target feed) they make like a bubble/ expand around then close in on itself. (see pics) . If annoyed they tend to just shrink, my clownfish is constantly on my BTA but it does not close.
As previously mentioned I think it grabbed itself a good meal
My clowns have totally ignored the BTA for the three weeks it’s been in the tank. I fed a tiny bit of frozen food to the BTA and the next night it completely shrivelled up and expressed loads of waste so I haven’t fed it since

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns have totally ignored the BTA for the three weeks it’s been in the tank. I fed a tiny bit of frozen food to the BTA and the next night it completely shrivelled up and expressed loads of waste so I haven’t fed it since
Feeding isn't necessary. Proper conditions matter much more. Mature tank, proper parameters and strong lighting. Also it took my clowns over 2 years to be hosted.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding isn't necessary. Proper conditions matter much more. Mature tank, proper parameters and strong lighting. Also it took my clowns over 2 years to be hosted.
Yes I fed it a small amount the first two days but haven’t fed it since. Seems to be happy otherwise.

Attachments

• 8A9E7EEC-6971-4AA6-AF5D-93D0FD82EC09.jpeg
    8A9E7EEC-6971-4AA6-AF5D-93D0FD82EC09.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 28

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't fed mine in years.

Attachments

• 20220917_170003.jpg
    20220917_170003.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 23

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back