Anemone clown hosting trick?

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this on youtube where a guy caught his captive bred clowns (that didn't know how to host an anemone) and caught them along with the anemone and put them in a spaghetti strainer so they were "forced" to learn how to host the anemone by being stuck in a close proximity to the nem. So i decided to try it out! Ill let you know how it goes! Let me know what you all think or if any of you have tried this! Heres some pics
eafa3214c4e80bf413f4af97cd741f34.jpg
1ed2566c7b740fbe96ef5b7005c584a9.jpg

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it before! Very cool experience...it took a day or so but they finally hosted it
Yea i thought i would only have to leave them in for a couple hours so i put them all back in and the clowns seemed like they lost it and started hosting the corner of my tank again. ...ill be redoing it after work today and leave them in for the weekend..is it okay if the anemone slowly spins around in the strainer? My wavemaker was causing it to do that and im worried if I dial my wavemaker down my sps frags will brown out or something?

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I may try this!
It took maybe 15 mins for one of my clowns to host it and for the 2 hours they were in the strainer it wouldnt leave it! But I feel if i keep them together for a day or two the clowns wont forget the anemone and theyll bond better because i could tell my clown was confused when i put them back in because they werent together long enough.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a picture of an anamone with a couple of clowns in it on the back of my tank , took about two weeks , before my clowns went in my anamone... but it worked .. I couldn't catch my clowns without having too tear down my rock work ..

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your experiment...I hope it works.

My daughters actually ran a video of clowns being hosted by an anemone. They propped an I-pad against the glass and let it run. I told them they were crazy and it wouldn't work. It ran basically for most of one weekend. Within a few days afterwards, I was proven wrong! That anemone has been their host ever since. Not saying it will work for everyone as they're no guarantees except that clowns are weird!!!

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys Take two!! Theyre back in the strainer with my rbta and the mocha is once again hosting it but im going to give it a day or two this time! The anemone was footed down in a crevice of one of my live rocks and all I had to do was almost massage under the tentacles and work my way underneath its foot to help it detach off the rock. I also blew my powerhead at it a little to help it detach and it only took about 5 minutes and it came off with no tears whatsoever! So I just have 3 questions regarding what i should do this time around.

Question 1- should i lower the strainer a little more or is making the strainer more shallow to keep the clowns closer better?

Question 2- im running 2 radion g2's 10 inches above water with the coral radiance program at 35%..is the light too intense for the anemone or will it be okay for a day or two in the strainer?

Question 3- When i release them all back into the tank, will the clowns find the anemone right away or should i put the anemone in a spot first then try to release my clowns close to the anemone?(it seemed the first try at this last night the clowns seemed confused like they couldnt find the nem or something?)

If anyone can answer any of these questions to help this trick pull through that would be great.

e47ae6669a66898719d8fc31ac7b373b.jpg
d2dc717bec216741d71f7f8ed616e02f.jpg

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine as far as how deep the strainer goes into the water....it might take a day or two after for them to find the nem

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be fine as far as how deep the strainer goes into the water....it might take a day or two after for them to find the nem
Okay cool. Right now the little ocellaris doesnt seem interested so hopefully he'll come around.

Russelm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same results..I did this for two weeks clowns hosted in the strainer. As soon as I put the men and clowns back in the tank the clowns went straight back to their sandy corner and slept which was located about six inches away from the anemone. That was the second time doing it as well it's hit or miss I think but doesn't hurt

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same results..I did this for two weeks clowns hosted in the strainer. As soon as I put the men and clowns back in the tank the clowns went straight back to their sandy corner and slept which was located about six inches away from the anemone. That was the second time doing it as well it's hit or miss I think but doesn't hurt
Yea thats what im worried about hecause it already happened once... This is their 2nd day, 3rd night in the strainer and im going to try to put the nem in first, then grab the clowns in a net and try and release them right over the nem once its foot holds onto a rock crevice and see if that works

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea thats what im worried about hecause it already happened once... This is their 2nd day, 3rd night in the strainer and im going to try to put the nem in first, then grab the clowns in a net and try and release them right over the nem once its foot holds onto a rock crevice and see if that works
I wouldn't worry too much about it .. believe me they will find it eventually.. they always do ..

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much about it .. believe me they will find it eventually.. they always do ..
If they dont host it within a week of re-releasing them back into the tank, im going to do what dbl said and tape pics of clowns hosting to my glass and see if that helps

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were right! Just put them all back into the tank and are hosting it! What i did was moved the bta to a rock and waited about 30mins with no flow so it could latch its foot. Then i grabbed my clowns with 2 nets(so they cpuldnt swim away) and held the net over the bta so they would have to go onto the bta to get out of the net. Now they know where it is and will swim around then host then swim some then host a little more is that normal?
7d92d431511aac4fadf13e2dd4d39f7f.jpg

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's normal .. the clown fish need too build up a resistance too the sting . Clown fish excrete a mucus which is 3 times thicker than normal fish for this purpose.. I used the picture on my tank to get mine too host .. but it's in their nature .. so usually in time they will most always host a nem .. it's just that it's never soon enough for us .. but once they are in ,then they are in.. enjoy .. it's such a beautiful symbiotic relationship!!!!!

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i agree it is a cool partnership! And wow I never knew that about their mucus layer thats really cool

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back