Found an old pic of my nem before it hosted

IMG_0950.JPG

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forcing close proximity is not a good idea at all, clowns need to build up a resistance to an anemone's sting cells, this could actually harm or even kill your clowns if they have not built up enough resistance to sting cells.

Another thing is it's false info on tank bred clowns not knowing what an anemone is or how to accept a host nem, you are just not giving the clowns the type of anemone they would be found in the wild, otherwise hosting happens very fast, if not immediately.

Some clowns will accept a non natural host, some not, this is often where the confusion begins.

If you want to know the best "trick", it's giving your clowns a natural host match, and if you want to know what anemone's host what clowns there is usually a sticky in most sites anemone/clown fish forum, or the best source I have found is the book, "Anemone fishes and their host sea anemone's" by Fautin Allen

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I heard that you can use a tube, put one end facing directly at the nem and slide the clown into the nem. I tried it with 2 clowns, worked both times.

Russelm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooooooo.......I may have lied a little. While sitting watching a movie I noticed my small clown kept disappearing for a while to the back of the tank. After a while remembered my BTA lives back there right now. I caught him in the act
88429e4c2f21f2e995d6c9fabcae8cbc.jpg
9179b266e09ee1b45284945b89b7f982.jpg

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooooooo.......I may have lied a little. While sitting watching a movie I noticed my small clown kept disappearing for a while to the back of the tank. After a while remembered my BTA lives back there right now. I caught him in the act
88429e4c2f21f2e995d6c9fabcae8cbc.jpg
9179b266e09ee1b45284945b89b7f982.jpg
Niiice!! Yea i checked this morning before work and my clowns were sleeping in the corner of the tank again..theyre probably still building up their mucus layer to fully host my nem because all day yesterday they would gonin it for a few seconds then swim around and repeat

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That only lasted a day and now my clowns have been fully hosting and sleeping in my rbta so this process is 100% effective for me as long as you keep the clowns in a strainer for at least 2 days. Ill send a pic after work

Athalus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone has had any success with percula clown fish and a bubble tip anemone - a very sky anemone.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took a year and a half before they made mine their home. No rushing this. I really did not care though. They were happy in some corals.

Shelley

nanosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that pictures of other clowns hosting/ or using a strainer can encourage them to host! Thanks for passing along the tips!

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always just leaned my iPad against the tank with a vid of clowns in a nem right by the nem. Couple days of letting them watch the iPad did the trick. 3 for 3. Probably sheer coincidence....

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that pictures of other clowns hosting/ or using a strainer can encourage them to host! Thanks for passing along the tips!
Yea no problem! I found one or two videos on youtube of people doing this so when i came across a good deal on an rbta i knew i had to try it! My clowns love it. They sleep together in it every night and I've even seen them grab food with it hanging out of their mouth and rub it on the tentacles until the food sticks to one of them to feed it!

Bob agren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK been following. Here's my problem, have a mated pair tank raised that has spawned countless times have a huge anemone that they lay their eggs underneath which is very cool but when I feed the anemone the little rascals steal the shrimp I feed the anemone (don't eat it) but hauls it away. Frustrating trying to feed the anemone when the clowns steal it. Have to hover over the feeding making sure the anemone gets done eating!

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forcing close proximity is not a good idea at all, clowns need to build up a resistance to an anemone's sting cells, this could actually harm or even kill your clowns if they have not built up enough resistance to sting cells.

Another thing is it's false info on tank bred clowns not knowing what an anemone is or how to accept a host nem, you are just not giving the clowns the type of anemone they would be found in the wild, otherwise hosting happens very fast, if not immediately.

Some clowns will accept a non natural host, some not, this is often where the confusion begins.

If you want to know the best "trick", it's giving your clowns a natural host match, and if you want to know what anemone's host what clowns there is usually a sticky in most sites anemone/clown fish forum, or the best source I have found is the book, "Anemone fishes and their host sea anemone's" by Fautin Allen

Thank you for a dose of much needed truth to this thread. Forcing clownfish into unnatural host anemones is just plain in humane and quite frankly negligent on the part of the owner who has enlisted themselves to ensure the well being of these fishes... Would you lock your cat in a closet for days without letting him out in hopes that he makes it his permanent home because you don't like it that he mainly resides in your dining room???

If you want clowns that will be readily hosted in a bta go buy a maroon, clarkii, or a Red Sea two band. Percs and occy clowns are naturally hosted in very difficult to care for nems mainly H. Magnifica, S. Haddoni and S. Gigantea...

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for a dose of much needed truth to this thread. Forcing clownfish into unnatural host anemones is just plain in humane and quite frankly negligent on the part of the owner who has enlisted themselves to ensure the well being of these fishes... Would you lock your cat in a closet for days without letting him out in hopes that he makes it his permanent home because you don't like it that he mainly resides in your dining room???

If you want clowns that will be readily hosted in a bta go buy a maroon, clarkii, or a Red Sea two band. Percs and occy clowns are naturally hosted in very difficult to care for nems mainly H. Magnifica, S. Haddoni and S. Gigantea...
I find this info a little misunderstood. When doing this method you leave room for the clowns to stay away from the nems but close enough to be able to swim to it to build the immunity...they have all options to stay out of the nems if they want to

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this info a little misunderstood. When doing this method you leave room for the clowns to stay away from the nems but close enough to be able to swim to it to build the immunity...they have all options to stay out of the nems if they want to

How is it misunderstood? Unless I'm missing something your confining two fish in a strainer (a small freaking space) with an anemone for days at a time until the fish enter the anemone. I'm just not seeing the error in my logic here

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it misunderstood? Unless I'm missing something your confining two fish in a strainer (a small freaking space) with an anemone for days at a time until the fish enter the anemone. I'm just not seeing the error in my logic here
If it was so "inhumane" then they wouldnt go near it once released into the dt again....and they wouldnt sleep in it or feed it. .. i think this is getting waay too out of hand and if you dont think its right, then dont do it. Everyone has a choice and I havent seen any negative effects in doing this because i knew it was safe.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was so "inhumane" then they wouldnt go near it once released into the dt again....and they wouldnt sleep in it or feed it. .. i think this is getting waay too out of hand and if you dont think its right, then dont do it. Everyone has a choice and I havent seen any negative effects in doing this because i knew it was safe.

We are just giving updated info on the symbiotic relationship so many are trying to achieve here.
There's a lot of misinformation, and many do actually force their clowns into nems that they do not want to go into, sometimes they are harmed from this, sometimes it works, I'm just saying if you give them the type of anemone THEY want instead of the type of anemone YOU want you will see and witness a clear difference in the hosting process and a much more natural reaction.

Many have no idea not all anemones are the same, or that some clowns will have a preference for a natural host as what their instinct tells them they should be in.

On top of this some clowns even have color loss, often black fades when you give them the most commonly kept anemone, BTA, and many wonder why their clowns are losing black color.

So, just shedding some light here dude, and yeah, it's your tank and do as you wish, just putting the information out there for anyone that may want to improve anemone and clown keeping/pairing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back