Anemone clown hosting trick?

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was so "inhumane" then they wouldnt go near it once released into the dt again....and they wouldnt sleep in it or feed it. .. i think this is getting waay too out of hand and if you dont think its right, then dont do it. Everyone has a choice and I havent seen any negative effects in doing this because i knew it was safe.

You guys do you; it's your money and it's your tank. I just think it's fair to point out and make people think before they go ahead and try this method. These are living breathing animals after all and many people who will read about and use this method have no clue as to the how and why behind the clownfish/host anemone relationship. Maybe if people understood that certain anemone fishes naturally host in different species of anemones and that anemone fishes must alter their slime coat when beginning a fish/host relationship we wouldn't have so many posts on the forums asking why an anemone ate my clownfish... My undergraduate degree is in Marine Science and I used to go speak with some class mates at a lfs. You have no idea how many times I had the question asking why did my anemone eat my clownfish. Most of the time it revolved around people trying to force clowns into Condy nems... You can't flame me for pointing out the potential risks of this practice just because you understand the clownfish anemone relationship. Many others do not have this knowledge and will do this trick. The result of trying this out most certainly could result in the death of their fish and that point can not be argued. Sorry for offending everyone... Happy Reefing!

boriquacobra0016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree with davocean and orcus, it is forceful I'm every way. Let the clowns run by its nature, is it cool as hell to see the clowns in the anemone hell yes, who hasn't seen "finding nemo"? Just saying.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally with Orcus on this topic. I have 4 pairs of clowns (all in different tanks) and I would LOVE for them to host in my beautiful acid splash Bta's but they don't, they host my return nozzle, glass cleaners, overflow box, etc. I've learned to live with it and maybe on day they will find a nem and host it (odds all if it hasn't happened in over a year it's never going to happen) but knowing that my clown breeds don't host bta's in the wild naturally, I'm okay with it. Removing a nem from rock work via ice cube or blowing a power head or even just plain ripping them off the rocks or any other method other than just letting them walk on their own is wrong and can do awful damage to them. You say it's not a small space but yet the clowns can't swim away. This method is like you being locked in a room with your worst enemy... you can run to the door but sadly the door is locked. Imo just let nature take its course.

BAngieB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My occy clown hosts my green polyp toadstool. And there's two accessible bta's in the tank in close proximity to the clowns living area. Weirdo, lol. And I have a snowflake that won't host anything. I don't try to force them into hosting the nems, I have never thought of doing something like that and don't care to do so now. I figure if it's going to happen it should happen naturally. Although the iPad idea is quite interesting!

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My occy clown hosts my green polyp toadstool. And there's two accessible bta's in the tank in close proximity to the clowns living area. Weirdo, lol. And I have a snowflake that won't host anything. I don't try to force them into hosting the nems, I have never thought of doing something like that and don't care to do so now. I figure if it's going to happen it should happen naturally. Although the iPad idea is quite interesting!

The iPad is a great way to attempt to establish a clownfish anemone host relationship. Many captive bred clowns have been raised in nemless broodstock systems and have never been exposed to this relationship.

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0925.JPG
Came home just in time to watch my perc and photon clown find their host bta after well over a year. Patience is the key not a strainer :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back