Anemone compatibility

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a Black Widow and a Colorado Sunburst Anemone in the same tank be ok?
Not in my experience, black widows and other btas dont play well. Others may have different experience.
Worst combination I know of are mixing BTA and black widow.
May be fine in a large tank but did not go well for me in a smaller one.

Last edited:

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a Black Widow and a Colorado Sunburst Anemone in the same tank be ok?
You’re going to get a bunch of mix answers. Best not to mix them but if you end up putting them in a tank together then good luck

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 rainbows and 2 rbta that are basically one big BTA. Never had an issue.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re all Entacmaea quadricolor, so they should be okay, but considering the price of them, I don’t know that I’d risk it.

Ando1231

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have two black widows and a CSB in a fluval 13.5. They don’t wander and everythings been fine for a while. I also change out carbon bags more frequently than most. Mixing is always a gamble that’s gotta be monitored and hopefully have a backup emergency plan in place if one goes south. I watched over the course of a day a new large RBTA I purchased move across a 40g and kill another RBTA that had been chillin healthy in the same spot for months. When I got home it was detached, upside down, and deflated and the new one was literally in its place. Moved the sick one to quarantine and lost it overnight. These things blow my mind everyday and there are no guarantees of anything with Nems I’ve learned.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been obsessing over this for over a year playing musical nems trying to figure it out. There is merit to the claims of bacterial infections, but not solid evidence, however based on my "experiments", Dolphins18 nailed it, water column size plays a big role, which is why some have more problems than others. Nems release stinging cells when stressed or sense competition and they basically can go to war, especially if they are BTAs that are from different regions. Larger water column means the stinging cells are not as concentrated. I lost a BW and seattle sunburst to this when I put them in a 20 gallon with 5 rainbows. All 5 Rainbows survived. I re-acquired a BW from the same seller and put it in a 10 gallon alone and it is thriving. Yea all BTAs are the same species, but so is a poodle and a Rottweiler. I now have 8, 10 to 20 gallon tanks so I can have more BTAs and clown fish varieties without issue, and it is working out great.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back