Anemone eating my fish?

midlife-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a month ago I had 2 baby clowns and after a week, I was down to one. I have a BTA in the tank and after scouring everywhere around the tank, I assumed the BTA may have eaten the clown. But, all the other fish have been fine. A week ago, I got a Mimic Yellow Tang, 1+ inch, and fed it this morning. This evening, I can’t find it anywhere and the BTA was closed up. Just got home from dinner and the BTA has opened back up. Is this possible that my BTA is making a meal of my fish? Can’t find the bodies anywhere. Nothing in the back of the tank, on the floor, anywhere! Here’s a picture of the Tang and the BTA when I just got home. Kind of a big Tang for the BTA to eat, right? I’m perplexed.

881F2A44-52B0-4045-8D80-858FAAE3A3DD.jpeg CA77290D-FA06-492B-BE73-C89982DD81EC.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible, yes; likely, no. More likely fish died in behind the rocks and got reduced.

OP
OP
midlife-reefer

midlife-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible, yes; likely, no. More likely fish died in behind the rocks and got reduced.
I thought the same thing about the baby clown. But, there’s a ton of room behind the rocks and there are no remains of the Tang. It got reduced that quickly by the other fish and fire shrimp? The Tang was bigger than the baby clown.

OP
OP
midlife-reefer

midlife-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, what the heck killed the Tang if it died behind the rocks? It ate this morning and all parameters are good. No indications of any issues. So lost about all this.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the anemone did indeed eat the tang, it’ll excrete the bones/skin .... then you’ll know for sure. The only anemone I ever had that ate healthy fish was a haddons carpet. None of my bubbles or mags ever have, though they will opportunistically eat a dying fish that blunders in.

OP
OP
midlife-reefer

midlife-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the anemone did indeed eat the tang, it’ll excrete the bones/skin .... then you’ll know for sure. The only anemone I ever had that ate healthy fish was a haddons carpet. None of my bubbles or mags ever have, though they will opportunistically eat a dying fish that blunders in.
I was looking for bones/skin from the baby clown and never saw any. The other possibility is maybe the fish jumped out and my dog ate it off the floor so all evidence disappeared. But, my dog doesn’t go into my den unless I’m there. But, I’m also out of logical explanations.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't imagine a BTA eating a healthy tang but maybe a sick one.

I almost never find bones of dead fish. The bristle worms do quick work.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a lid on your tank?

I've lost several fish that have jumped out of the small feed door opening in the lid when I forgot to put it back. Also had fish jump when cleaning but I was able to scoop them back up and in the tank.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dog and 2 cats. The dog has brought me jumped fish and dropped them at my feet. Pretty well trained dog.

I have 4 tanks. Everyone has a lid but I've still lost a few while cleaning the tanks. Just didn't notice they jumped until it was too late. And one lid had a few small holes from a HOB refugium. I lost a couple of fish out of those holes before I patched them up.

Fish jump all of the time.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the anemone eat fish? Yes. I’ve seen my anemone eat a whole freakin 4 inch cleaner shrimp. Did your anemone eat your fish? Probably not. Check your overflow box and sump. That’s probably where your fish went.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back