Anemone hosting training camp

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Oscilaris pair was in this tank for a few months before they realized the anemones were more comfortable than a ceramic pot. I then introduced a Clarkii pair with a divider and within a day, the Clarkii were hosting. But I found the poor little anemone crab in the corner pouting because he got evicted. I gave him a new home.They never saw a nem before this.

I'm about to try something similar in 2 side by side 10 gallon tanks with a Cinnamon pair known to host and a snowflake pair that doesn't seem to know what that strange tentacle pillow thing is.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice :) . thank you for sharing. fascinating , I wonder if we'll see some reproducible behavior (of captive bred clowns and nem symbiosis), at least during the initial hosting phase. in aquarium i have seen clown go for corals such as euphylia , elegance or other furry things than nems, sometime

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I thought I might have gotten lucky with the clarkii as they may not be captive bred. I got them at a Petco.

Second Experiment:
Captive bred snowflake pair in right tank have been in with the BTA for several months without taking notice of the nem. The tank on the left only had the two BTAs and no fish. I added the cinnamon pair about 4 or 5 days ago,

20210806_003151.jpg

Before they were not hosting:

Then:

The little guy got the idea. Now the Female should catch on soon

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice :) . thank you for sharing. fascinating , I wonder if we'll see some reproducible behavior (of captive bred clowns and nem symbiosis), at least during the initial hosting phase. in aquarium i have seen clown go for corals such as euphylia , elegance or other furry things than nems, sometime

I only have a small torch and a grape frogspawn. I'm afraid they will get loved to death if I give them to clowns. I love Euphylia, but they are expensive. I will have a tank full of them some day along with long tentacle plate corals and introduce some clowns. Some people say captive bred clowns don't take to anemones. I think its safe to say that has been myth busted. The black Ocellaris pair figured it out on their own. It was the male first with that pair as well. I have one more pair, a regular nemo and a snowflake nemo that is in with 3 BTAs and not hosting. Next week I will move them to the 20 long and see if it works a third time.

Last edited:
Back