Anemone in trouble

Marco Vasquez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. A good friend gave me an anemone for our clownfish (male died recently with tapeworm, female is thriving. I’m treating with prazipro). The anemone moved to the back of the tank and tucked itself between the rock and gravel, but not melting yet. It’s been that way for a day. OG is steady at 1.025, very little ammonia (still trying to find an accurate test) and no nitrates or nitrites. TDS has been reading 3ppm. I’m concerned there’s copper. I’m probably going to have my water tested but looking for your thoughts since you guys are awesome. Btw, anemone has been in the tank for only a day. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

BEBA8481-6D86-401E-BCD7-0F5B7984C308.jpeg

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank looks super new like it hasnt even gone through the Diatom phase. How old is the tank its in, whats your levels as Calc/Alk/Mag matters for these guys.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank looks super new like it hasnt even gone through the Diatom phase. How old is the tank its in, whats your levels as Calc/Alk/Mag matters for these guys.

Those don't really matter for the anemone they use such a minute amount of calcium and magnesium and no carbonates

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have your lfs test your water or get a decent set of kits.

Could you list equipment? Lights, filter setup, etc. Also, couild you tell us how long the tank has been up, your light schedule, and what your water change schedule? What tests kit brands have you currently used and what is the number for ammonia that the test is providing?

OP
OP
Marco Vasquez

Marco Vasquez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty new. I can only add that Ph is at 8. I’m ordering more test kits for phosphate calcium etc, my major concern is maybe my rodi isn’t good enough. I’ll update once I can test all parameters. Also, I cycled with new Marco dry rock. I’m hoping it’s not leaking phosphates.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty new. I can only add that Ph is at 8. I’m ordering more test kits for phosphate calcium etc, my major concern is maybe my rodi isn’t good enough. I’ll update once I can test all parameters. Also, I cycled with new Marco dry rock. I’m hoping it’s not leaking phosphates.
Just how new though (how many days/months)? I am no expert on anemone care, but I have heard they should not be introduced into a system less than 6 months old.

OP
OP
Marco Vasquez

Marco Vasquez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have your lfs test your water or get a decent set of kits.

Could you list equipment? Lights, filter setup, etc. Also, couild you tell us how long the tank has been up, your light schedule, and what your water change schedule? What tests kit brands have you currently used and what is the number for ammonia that the test is providing?
I m going to have my water tested. I have a biocube32 with led lights. Bio filter is ceramic tubes in back, nothing fancy. Water change 5 gallons monthly, and lights I think 10 hours a day. I’m using api for ph, nitrate and nitrite, and Seachem for ammonia. I don’t trust this ammonia, but it’s reading about ..25ppm. Temperature holds at 78°
Just how new though (how many days/months)? I am no expert on anemone care, but I have heard they should not be introduced into a system less than 6 months old.

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hey all. A good friend gave me an anemone for our clownfish (male died recently with tapeworm, female is thriving. I’m treating with prazipro). The anemone moved to the back of the tank and tucked itself between the rock and gravel, but not melting yet. It’s been that way for a day. OG is steady at 1.025, very little ammonia (still trying to find an accurate test) and no nitrates or nitrites. TDS has been reading 3ppm. I’m concerned there’s copper. I’m probably going to have my water tested but looking for your thoughts since you guys are awesome. Btw, anemone has been in the tank for only a day. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

BEBA8481-6D86-401E-BCD7-0F5B7984C308.jpeg
Nems do not do good in establishing tanks better invest for beginners are Indonesian LPS they’re pretty hardy once they really start to do good I’d add anemones. Or. You can find yourself a pice of rock or 2 out of somebody’s established tank. Also you can buy some real ocean water at most petcos and other large chain pet stores probably some local too . Those 2 things will give you an instant environment and should save the Nem.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is just way too new. 6 months minimum and a year is better. Your lights are going to be bare minimum on a bio cube if it’s original lights. I would personally give the nem back to your friend for now and he will have more ready for you when your tank matures.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I m going to have my water tested. I have a biocube32 with led lights. Bio filter is ceramic tubes in back, nothing fancy. Water change 5 gallons monthly, and lights I think 10 hours a day. I’m using api for ph, nitrate and nitrite, and Seachem for ammonia. I don’t trust this ammonia, but it’s reading about ..25ppm. Temperature holds at 78°

Right now, you have no nitrate and likely no phosphate, which would cause the anemone to die (unless being hosted then maybe not). Consider dosing something like reef energy daily in the mean time.

5 gallons once a month may too little (long run) unless you only have one or two fish. Just watch nitrate and phosphate over time. You will figure out the rhythm. I highly doubt you have .25ppm ammonia unless you just put the fish in and didn't cycle it prior to that.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back