Anemones: Lighting and Wave Maker Discussion

karamreef117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

I wanted to create this thread to show some of my results and see opinions out there about these amazing anemone creatures.
I have an up and running anemone tank that has been established for a year and a half. I did move it to school and back home once. so the tank has moved.
throughout my journey with anemones I started to document what I have went through. to sum it up, my main focus was on lighting and wave makers as they have a direct impact to how my results went out.
I started with a 10 gallon water box, a G5 xr15, 4 anemones two black widow and two rainbows. The anemones I started with came from the same owner. The tank was running great for two weeks but the anemones did not look at their 100%. I started to get worried and before I knew it I lost all of them. I didn't give up and I started again. Also not to forget, I was running a AI Nero 3 wave maker at 25%. The G5 xr15 were running AB+ at 30%. Fast forward to the 6 month mark. I changed my lights to the AI prime, same wave maker, and at this time, my tank has been infested with cyan0 bacteria. I did have 6 anemones in there all bubble tips. they never grew but did stay alive. the AI prime lights were scheduled with the AB+ settings and they did not look the best. Stayed small and closed half the time. I tried removing the sand bed but then later on reintroduced sand bed. Fast forward to the one year mark and I have changed my lights again to the g3 xr15 lights running a preset schedule on a smart timer. The lights would turn on and they would be on a preset that you can pick by hovering on the middle button located on top of the light. I picked the second preset to start with as any other schedule I have failed to keep the anemones healthy. Wave maker at this point has been removed and the cayn0 bacteria started to die off very quickly when I removed the wave maker. Anemones started to open up a lot more. Extend much larger. And now they have been dividing like crazy.

Okay so what did I really find for my tank to seem to work? Well, lights cant be blue. Only time I can keep them blue is when I want to enjoy the colors. It seems like white has enhanced the colors on my anemones as well. Wave maker, I have a ten gallon, the stock return pump is able to do more than an enough job to keep the tank running with no problems.

What did I add/Do?
A UV light off amazon for $10 dollars
Reef Glass Skimmer that runs 24/7
Water changes weekly but I have been holding back on that as I am trying to keep the water dirty since they enjoy it a little more.
Sand in my opinion houses so much beneficial bacteria. There are so many cool little things living in there.

My focus though is on the lighting and the wave maker part. Has anyone went through this? Have you been able to keep anemones under blue lights and they have been stable and healthy? have you been able to keep a wave maker that has generated more flow than a return alone? I only ask as I am curious to what is out there and what others do. The current tank is currently going strong now half a year with no complains fingers crossed but I am always interested in hearing others stories.

Its never too late for these anemones and I think focusing on the lighting and flow aspect for anemones only tank is the key to a successful journey. Looking forward to hearing everyones stories!

Attachments

• IMG_4811.MOV
    13.6 MB

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With rbta little to no problems.....

Medium light, stronger flow, ocassional feeding, and they are happy, at least in my tank. They dont move growth is not super crazy, but stable...

Bluer/less intense light=more bubbled and thicker rbta with vibrant colors,. whiter intensier light = elongated polyps,paler appearance....

Maybe coincidence, but this is my observation.....

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18"x18"x18" with sand bed - single G4 XR15 with Coral Lab Soft/LPS template setting @ 60% intensity, single MP10QD @ 50% ReefCrest setting.
36"x24"x18" bare bottom - two G4 XR15 @ Coral Lab Soft/LPS template setting @ 65% intensity, Maxspect Gyre XF230 @ 40% LTC setting and two MP10QD @ 40% ReefCrest setting.
So lighting is more towards the blue side of the Coral Lab templates and flow is medium and my BTAs are doing well and growing in both tanks.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what gets then to bubble , same tank , same anemones one is always bubbles other look lazy lol . I run blues all day 9am -10pm and whites are on 12-7. I am currently only running one gyre for flow , I think I need to add another on opposite side 80g tank

91F7DCF1-A3D3-47B2-91F4-9853EA085601.jpeg 6C109480-B931-4A7E-9728-E43670993EA1.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back