Annoying things ppl say about your tank

ChiSox Rabbitfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Looking at a tank full of beautiful, labor intensive, and expensive fish and corals*

“Oh wow... look! Look at that crab!”

*most excited about the $2 hermit crab*
Yes I know what you mean all they talk about is the stupid little hitchhiker starfish on the glass

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Why do you have a tank full of colored rocks and how much did you pay for THAT florescent rock?” “What’s so interesting about a bunch of rocks in the tank? They don’t even move.”
“You should have a ***** fish in there. they cool.” Says the same person that’s asking about the “rocks”.
These poor people know not of what they speak... and should just keep their mouths shut.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I’ve been told to drop a piranha in there too. What?!?

I’ve had so many ppl question why I have qt, why the fish are still in qt, why I don’t just medicate the whole tank, why the inverts are separate (while doing fallow)...it’s like, I don’t want to get into a 1/2 hr conversation but you’re leaving me no choice. Also, I hate the “why don’t you just...”. Then, some other guest will join the conversation 1/2 way through and interrupt to ask all the same nonsense questions. I like ppl to look and enjoy. That’s it!
What is the fascination with pirhana? I get that too! I just want to high five them in the face!

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really stuff about the tank itself, but these are some of the random things I get:

A friend on facebook: I see you're into fish, do you want my daughters Betta fish?

Fisherman friend: Dude, I just caught a blue crawfish, do you want to put it in your tank?

Try to get kids interested in the tank: That's nerd stuff! ***runs off to their iPhones****

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get too many off the wall questions, most people are impressed even though I see things I should have done differently. The few questions I get is how hard is it to keep a salt water tank, which I say once it is up and running it is fairly easy to maintain and the other is are the fish expensive. I tell them I am cheap and not willing to risk several hundred dollars on a single fish and the most expensive fish I have was $50 but I then point out I have never had a fish die other than one jumper fire fish and that even though saltwater fish cost more than your Petco goldfish, they can live a long time. They are amazed that clowns can live over 20 years and my Yellow Tang can live 40 years or more.

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that the questions/misguided comments aren’t annoying, and the snide “why don’t you know more” attitude that’s so tempting to have just makes you look like some elitist.

I don’t even bother remembering the “dumb” comments, because if someone typed up a list of every dumb comment I’ve made concerning other hobbies (drones, cars, diving) it’d be lengthy too.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been annoyed at anything people have said thus far. If they are looking at it, and inquisitive or commenting, I appreciate anything they say. I'll always enjoy the opportunity to share my hobby and the tank I worked so hard on with others.

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had your guys' problem. I have to literally drag people kicking and screaming to look at my tanks most of the time.
It takes me asking my boyfriend literally 15 times over the course of a month and a half to get him to look at my tanks for 15 seconds. He also complains consistently that I have too many tanks (4 separate salt water systems made of 7 tanks & 4 10 gal fresh water tanks) but says he likes them and I shouldn't get rid of them? He just doesn't care as long as I don't flood the house.

And his mom (without fail) goes 'OMG A NEMO!' every time she sees the tank and I kind of go "yes... it's the same one as last time you were here' :p She was surprised that I had a 'black nemo'.

Other than that people usually look at my hammer or red finger sponges and go 'woah! is that alive?!' and I'll be 'ya' and they're like 'woooah!'. And then they leave ;n;

Unanimously everyone's favorite thing in my tanks is my sea hare though. And I can't say I blame them because Tim is a magical creature of joy. I'll put on a show and feed him nori against the glass and they freak out when they see his little mouth glob onto the algae.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? You mean sea horses are REAL??!?

My wife (@dogshowgrl ) had gorgeous seahorses (Erectus, and Barbouri) and literally got into an argument with another adult about:
  1. Whether seahorses were real
  2. Whether the male carried the baby
Seriously?

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a 55g w no sump. Just canister filter. Upgrading to 110g w sump. Empty for now. Mom sees the sump. Stares at me in bewilderment: don’t you have enough tanks? Why do you need one in a cabinet under another one?!? Bahahahah
Hahahah awww ...moms ;Bored

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic! lol

Are those fake plants?
I want to get a tank also! "they can't even take care of a hamster"
Why don't you have more fish? "I have 16 in a 120g"
You just put salt in it? " I have a sps demanding tank"

Then I show them under the tank. 98% say O NO! I'm not dealing with that!

“You just put salt in it”. Bahahahaha I’m dying

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back