OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and stand. Do you have a center support for the lighting stand? Looks like it is bowing in the center toward the water.
I do not yet as I was not expecting it to bow. I will be adding a wire to support it from the ceiling in the near future. I did ask Ecotech about it and said it should not be a problem, but I dont like it!.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not yet as I was not expecting it to bow. I will be adding a wire to support it from the ceiling in the near future. I did ask Ecotech about it and said it should not be a problem, but I dont like it!.
Before you use the wire from the ceiling try a piece of small angle iron the whole length. Painted black, should blend in well, and will be better in my opinion.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's people don't like this method but with a tank that size id put a peice of live rock and a fish in there and just wait. 270 gallons is alot of dilution expecially a small fish like a damsel or clown.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where would the angle iron? trying to envision how this would work.
I think 1/2 inch angle iron would fit between light and bracket the whole length or at the very top of the brackets. use small nuts and bolts along the length of it. I know is more work than a wire from the ceiling, you can try zip ties in place of the bolts.

OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 1/2 inch angle iron would fit between light and bracket the whole length or at the very top of the brackets. use small nuts and bolts along the length of it. I know is more work than a wire from the ceiling, you can try zip ties in place of the bolts.
I see what you are saying. I will take a look at that. I think I would prefer that also to hanging it from the ceiling. The whole point of getting the RMS kit was so that I didn't have to hang anything from the ceiling. That was per the wife's request. If this works, she may be your biggest fan!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you are saying. I will take a look at that. I think I would prefer that also to hanging it from the ceiling. The whole point of getting the RMS kit was so that I didn't have to hang anything from the ceiling. That was per the wife's request. If this works, she may be your biggest fan!
Yahh! I hope it works for you. Angle iron should not bend with that light weight, if it does go a little bigger.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

About 8 days ago I started cycling my new 270G tank. I think I picked the hardest type of cycle. I started with Caribsea liferock and a bare bottom tank. I dosed with Dr. Tims one and Only and Dr. Tims ammonia chloride as recommended. I actually dosed a bit more of the bacteria just in case. It has been 8 days and I do not see my ammonia going down. I have tested with the Redsea kit and also the API kit. I see a little bit of nitrate, maybe 1PPM using the redsea kit, but that hasnt moved in days also.

I am not trying to rush the process, but I am curious if this is normal for a bare bottom, dry rock tank?

Does anyone have any experience on how long this type of tank should take?
I have heard bio spera is better. I put both in my 125 so far so good.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear mixed reviews on Dr. Tims most good but I used Dr.Tims and biospera . 7 weeks in
20210327_190520.jpg

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you done with your light setup? How is your tank looking today?

OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you done with your light setup? How is your tank looking today?
The steel bar that fit did not help with the flex as it also flexed at that length. Currently I just have it suspended in the middle to the ceiling. The tank is looking great. I really need to update the build thread, but I have a bunch of fish in there and now on to corals.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The steel bar that fit did not help with the flex as it also flexed at that length. Currently I just have it suspended in the middle to the ceiling. The tank is looking great. I really need to update the build thread, but I have a bunch of fish in there and now on to corals.
Sorry to hear that. Was hoping it would help you. One wire is better than multiple I guess.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

About 8 days ago I started cycling my new 270G tank. I think I picked the hardest type of cycle. I started with Caribsea liferock and a bare bottom tank. I dosed with Dr. Tims one and Only and Dr. Tims ammonia chloride as recommended. I actually dosed a bit more of the bacteria just in case. It has been 8 days and I do not see my ammonia going down. I have tested with the Redsea kit and also the API kit. I see a little bit of nitrate, maybe 1PPM using the redsea kit, but that hasnt moved in days also.

I am not trying to rush the process, but I am curious if this is normal for a bare bottom, dry rock tank?

Curious to hear where you are now at? I just started my cycle on 365G bare bottom tank. I used Brightwell
Hello All,

Curious to hear where you are now at? I just started my cycle on my new 365G bare bottom tank with 300lbs of Marco Rock. I used Brightwell Microbacter 7 - per the instructions. It’s been 3 weeks for me and Ammonia is still high (Red Sea Kit) with barely any readings on Nitrite (Salifert kit) and Nitrates (Nyos Kit). Just added a jar of Copepods from Algae Barn - trying to get them established early-on. Was thinking of adding Dr. Tim’s or Algae Barn’s TurboStart 900 Live Nitrifying Bacteria. Like you, not sure if “mixing” bacteria is a good idea or not.

OP
OP
Y

yman182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to hear where you are now at? I just started my cycle on 365G bare bottom tank. I used Brightwell

Curious to hear where you are now at? I just started my cycle on my new 365G bare bottom tank with 300lbs of Marco Rock. I used Brightwell Microbacter 7 - per the instructions. It’s been 3 weeks for me and Ammonia is still high (Red Sea Kit) with barely any readings on Nitrite (Salifert kit) and Nitrates (Nyos Kit). Just added a jar of Copepods from Algae Barn - trying to get them established early-on. Was thinking of adding Dr. Tim’s or Algae Barn’s TurboStart 900 Live Nitrifying Bacteria. Like you, not sure if “mixing” bacteria is a good idea or not.
Dr. Tims didn’t work for me (or I didn’t wait long enough) but I added turbostart and it cycled in a few days. I need to update my build thread, but my tank is doing awesome! Photos below.

9B8A6921-1968-4182-9DB5-BD3FE7528275.jpeg
33DA460B-BB27-458C-9216-75052CA01B91.jpeg
472A8C51-5643-4042-9D27-A8BF5E4B5FDF.jpeg
73AB7735-CD27-4552-BD74-34FAE55CEA20.jpeg
97005C5B-0C8E-4ED0-B3BE-B8F2CF4F3145.jpeg
3A3016FE-BF9D-4C6E-A04A-F80E560C9108.jpeg
C8A5011A-CBF7-46FC-8E59-ED2031CD4268.jpeg
2BA2F4FD-DC89-4395-9676-6C2D7C6771D6.jpeg
65F03F05-EC9A-4F5C-A122-96056F60DF54.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back