Another ICP testing Poll

The following is true about my experience with ICP testing

• I have sent at least 1 ICP test and they are always normal

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I have sent at least 1 ICP test due to a problem in my tank and tests were normal

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have sent at least 1 ICP test because of a problem tests testing didnt help

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have sent at least 1 ICP test because of a problem and found the reason based on ICP

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I have sent more than 1 ICP tests and the results were inconsistent.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have sent more than 1 ICP test to different companies and the results were inconsistent

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I have sent multiple ICP tests and the results are consistent between all of them

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • I have never sent an ICP test

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I dont know what an ICP test is

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because every test result I get back from them shows arsenic in my saltwater, but zero arsenic in my tap water or RO/DI. I've done more than one sample of each.

I have also read other people's accounts of the same issue, and a few articles that mention arsenic in salt mixes. This one's a bit dated, but there are others: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/aafeature1

What level? I’ve seen folks (who posted here) get told of high arsenic (>1ppm) and when challenged about it, the icp company retracted it, saying it was an error.

Maybe you just think it is high. Salt mixes do not typically have problematic levels.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 2nd of 3 times i have sent a water sample to Triton and it’s been OVER a week and I haven’t received results back.
Not even sure how to contact them to follow up.
Had this been water due to an urgent issue, I would be screwed.
The samples go all the way to Germany to be tested after they reach the US PO location. So I can take up to 14 days to get results.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a thread that may be worth reading before relying exclusively on unusual results from icp analysis dot com

I wasn’t going to vote, but I checked never.

I read that thread, unfortunately the edited version. My take away was any test there is can have user error, equipment errors, contaminated samples, quality control and lack of knowledge by the person controlling the testing. The one in Germany did have a PhD I believe monitoring

To me, and just me since I am no where near the level of chemistry knowledge I should be. @Randy Holmes-Farley brings tons of credibility to the table. Someone who has applied scientific method -
observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses- has a better understanding than those with in-depth knowledge and a machine.

Now I’m putting my head down and following

U

User1

View Badges
Then who do I trust to do this process correct?

Well....no one if truth be told. I use ATI but this is only because most of what I read is decent and my results have been consistent. Granted I've only run two tests. It isn't something I'm going to be doing but maybe once a year twice at most.

There is a rather good article from a few well known and respected peers in this hobby. If you haven't read it I'd recommend it for sure. What is especially interesting is the Q & A with the company. In any case my personal issue is that there is no calibration in between tests. Obviously this is to keep the cost down to the hobbyist but it is something to think about. Then there is the the issue of transportation. Does that have any impact with the water chemistry? I don't know.

I personally just use it as a reference point and nothing else.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well....no one if truth be told. I use ATI but this is only because most of what I read is decent and my results have been consistent. Granted I've only run two tests. It isn't something I'm going to be doing but maybe once a year twice at most.

There is a rather good article from a few well known and respected peers in this hobby. If you haven't read it I'd recommend it for sure. What is especially interesting is the Q & A with the company. In any case my personal issue is that there is no calibration in between tests. Obviously this is to keep the cost down to the hobbyist but it is something to think about. Then there is the the issue of transportation. Does that have any impact with the water chemistry? I don't know.

I personally just use it as a reference point and nothing else.
MY philosophy - if it isnt broken - dont fix it - having said that - I ordered one that should be coming. Will see. An interesting read for some might be specificity vs sensitivity and what happens when you order a test when the likelyhood of a 'positive' result is unlikely

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just did an ICP test out of curiosity mostly, making sure i wasn't fighting some massive uphill battle because i had something awful in the water

looks like i'll be doing my next one with ATI based on that thread, though.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the article you can search for:

Skeptical Reefkeeping 12: Triton Lab ICP-OES Testing of a Certified Artificial Saltwater Standard. April 2015 by Rich Ross and Dr. Chris Maupin.

If you haven't I'd highly recommend reading it.

I'm a technical person and that is a hard read, but interesting. My take away was this..Be skeptical and never trust a single test. But like a lot of scientific observation and statistics, a trend is more reliable. But then you are hooked on expensive testing. Tough call. For me I'm interested since I have a new tank, later maybe not so much.

U

User1

View Badges
I'm a technical person and that is a hard read, but interesting. My take away was this..Be skeptical and never trust a single test. But like a lot of scientific observation and statistics, a trend is more reliable. But then you are hooked on expensive testing. Tough call. For me I'm interested since I have a new tank, later maybe not so much.

Technical != scientific for sure. I'm in the same boat. What I found more interesting is the discussion at the end of the article.

I think it is an interesting concept more so just from a potential big data view down the road. However, that data will only be as good as the testing practice and methodology. A tough nut to crack. As I said I use ATI because what I typically read around the web was favorable and the email I sent to them prior to testing had a good answer. So I went with them. First test taught me about making sure I use a calibration fluid for my digital refractor. My salinity was off and they caught it.

Second test I was more or less confirming a couple of my manual tests and wanted to verify my testing was proper this go around with specific gravity :) Hoping they go on sale this holiday season and will pick up another one or two. Once or twice a year I think it may be worth it. I could never deploy the triton method and run their testing regiment. Not cost effective for me.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
snip... :) Hoping they go on sale this holiday season and will pick up another one or two. Once or twice a year I think it may be worth it. I could never deploy the triton method and run their testing regiment. Not cost effective for me.

It's great to have other options. I think I will try.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using ATi. I have run 5 so far this year and at least for me, it has proven extremely helpful to the point that I have been buying their supplements to make the suggested adjustments. (I have only needed 5 so far and generally it is the same 3) After my first test and making the suggested changes to the best of my ability using other brands of products I had, my tank went from a death trap for corals to living frags with polyp extension and encrustment. I was very shocked at the speed with which I saw this change. I realize for most of you that's no big deal, but it was for me. So, with that success behind me, I was striving for more and still not seeing the growth that I was seeing on-line in all of you alls beautiful tanks. I had switched over to their two part which included major and minor trace elements. It was an easy change and my tests became very consistent. I was getting a test done every month to two months and the readings were always similar and usually lacking in the same 3 elements. I actually started a thread elsewhere just a day or so ago to try to get some help. Then yesterday, when my latest test was posted on my ATI page, I was sharing that info with the others and I found an error that explained a lot. Every time I received test results, I made the adjustments and for a few weeks I would see improvement and then it would slow or stop. I was at at loss. So, yesterday while downloading the .pdfs to share, it occured to me that obviously i wasn't dosing enough, so maybe the suggested dosing was per 25 gallons... or something to that extent. Then while looking at my tank profile to see how it was calculated I drilled down on my tank profile and saw this (does not show this way on the front page but still no excuse) Net Volume : 300 L Liters! not Gallons. I called ATI North America and they confirmed that the suggested adjustments are based on that and adjusted my profile which changed their suggested adjustments on the fly. I had only been dosing for an 80 gallon tank instead of 300. It now reads 1140 L and I have begun making the updated changes. I am really excited to see what happens. Sorry for the long story. I keep telling it hoping the stupidity will wear off. It has not. Also, my ATI Tests results from when I mail to getting posted results is 9 days, every time. I have include my .pdfs below for any that care. I do love ATIs format and that they test your RO/DI water as a courtesy if you wish. (second .pdf)

Attachments

• Analyse53489.pdf
    129.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Analyse54378.pdf
    127.6 KB · Views: 110

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Triton testing, as we have a lab in the UK and results can be back in 4/5 days.. I’ve been sending them off monthly for the last 3 months as I’ve added a large algae bed and it’s consuming a lot of Mn, I and Fe, so I’ve been trying to dial my dosing in, before this I tested every 2/3 months as I haven’t done any water changes this year, I test to keep an eye on levels, I don’t have any issues but it’s piece of mind for me

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Marinlabs. It was my only test done. It tested my salinity to be 28ppt iirc. Which I don't believe to be true becaue i have 3 messurement devices which read 35ppt. I dont believe it. They said they test salinity with a refractometer... so bad.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back