Another melanarus wrasse question...

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a melanarus wrasse in QT (20 gal cycled with LR and sand) for about 3 weeks. He has been doing great. Eating well, etc. Usually out of the sand when I get up at 5:30 am, until yestetday he wasn't out. He is still in hiding today, or he is coming out when no one is home to see him. Tank params are fine, 0 ammonia or nitrites, nitrate 5-10, pH 7.8, temp 78. Anyone ever experience this? When should I get concerned? We did check the floor and HOB filter, no jumper found. His only tankmates are a couple of small hermits.

IanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are definitely a tricky/picky wrasse. Those guys love consistency, and as soon as a water param gets out of sync, they get stressed. Did anything change recently?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that melanurus wrasses are quite hardy and forgiving.

If you were doing a lot of work in the tank, this could cause them to bury.

While new, loud noises and boisterous activity can also cause them to bury.

I have also found that when transitioning from female to male they can bury for a couple of days.

They may also stay buried if bothered by parasites or disease.

Don't go digging it up, as this only causes them to stay buried longer.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have hermits in your fish QT? Havnt seen that one yet, lol.. Regarding the wrasse, it is normal behavior for them to bury themselves for up to 2 or so days when spooked/ stressed.. any more than that and I'd begin to worry.. in the meantime, leave him be and don't go searching.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all of the replies. It is a semi permanent QT as I am slowly stocking my 75 gal, so yes, a couple of hermits to help with any excess food and detritus. It will be set up for a year or so.

The only new thing was a water change on Sunday, which my husband did. He used the wrong water - I use Instant Ocean for the QT but he used the more expensive reef salt. The salinity and temp were matched but other params probably changed. The wrasse was out and eating well Mon and Tue morning so I doubt that is the reason she is hiding.

Hopefully it isn't a disease. It is always possible that the dogs got loud and spooked her or even knocked into the table the tank is on if the door got left open.

I think it is a female as it has a black spot on the tail but would it have any reason to transition to male when it's alone in the tank? Just an interesting question.

Eitjer way, I am less worried. I wouln't go digging in any case. Thank you much!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a female as it has a black spot on the tail but would it have any reason to transition to male when it's alone in the tank? Just an interesting question.
Transitioning is based on social cues, so as the only fish it is the most dominant fish, i.e. cue to transition to male.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found with my melanarus that there is no set time of day that he likes to go hang out in the sand. And it took me a while to be okay with the fact that he wasn't out when he normally is. Because every time I don't see him and worry, he shows up the next day. On a side note, just the other day i found out just how far they can jump. I put my hand over the tank to feed them and it must have scared him, that guy must have leaped a good 6 feet away from the tank. Scared the crap out of me. He ended up being fine, was only out of the tank for seconds. I was more worried about the impact of him hitting the floor. But those guys do like to jump!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back