OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated in a while been very busy at work. If all goes to plan we will be getting wet within the next few days ! Also received this today. I'm not sure what text kits I want to use for ammonia,nitrate, and nitrites any suggestions?

IMG_0181.JPG

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated in a while been very busy at work. If all goes to plan we will be getting wet within the next few days ! Also received this today. I'm not sure what text kits I want to use for ammonia,nitrate, and nitrites any suggestions?

IMG_0181.JPG
I like Salifert, but Red Sea is always good.

tvu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs reviewed and recommended Red Sea then Nyos for nitrate.

I wouldn't waste money on ammonia nor nitrate. Ammonia may be needed while cycling. But with starter bacteria now tanks can be cycled in a week or 2.

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs reviewed and recommended Red Sea then Nyos for nitrate.

I wouldn't waste money on ammonia nor nitrate. Ammonia may be needed while cycling. But with starter bacteria now tanks can be cycled in a week or 2.
I watched the video today on test kits. I've also decided to is Red Sea blue bucket salt mix to start off

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not really an update but I wanted to share some thoughts with everyone. As many of you know who have been following along I've been resisting the urge to rush through this build due to my wedding coming up in 2 months. I read this site everyday and happened to come across a article written by @Scott Fellman. In this article he wrote about patience and how incredibly important it is to our hobby. We all know this hobby takes time and knowledge to bring your tank to life and have it thrive, but Scott was talking about how this is so important because in today's world the forums are flooded with people who expect to have there tanks looking like a mature coral reef in just a few months and we all know this leads to problems. My first time around in the hobby about 5 years ago failed for me as a result of not having the patience or knowledge to grow a healthy ecosystem. Reading Scott's article opened my eyes and I thought to myself my wedding shouldn't be holding me back, the urge to learn and watch should be what takes the time. I want to learn how alk,MG,and Calc react together, I want to see what different lighting settings do for algae, I want to take the time a quarantine fish and observe them to see what normal habits are vs not.... and much more. Scott also talked about how there so ,any great build threads out there but many more build threads that start with the mature reef thus giving the perception that you can have a tank like that with no issues in just a few months. He went on to say that people need to appreciate the build, and not just the physical build but the building of the ecosystem that takes place by nature! People need to be willing to document the tank "uglies" and learn to overcome these issues with out dumping chemicals into the tank.
Thank you Scott for providing valuable insight with that article. I want to take a pledge that my build thread will document the daily or weekly water test, the battles I'll have with algae, the failures and death I will likely experience at one point or another. Most of all I pledge to make my thread a place that I hope a new hobbyist can read one day and see what it really takes to get to the end game of a beautiful ecosystem. I hope his article can start a trend and bring this to light and more people feel good to share the long and potentially ugly road it takes to achieve real beauty!;)

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not really an update but I wanted to share some thoughts with everyone. As many of you know who have been following along I've been resisting the urge to rush through this build due to my wedding coming up in 2 months. I read this site everyday and happened to come across a article written by @Scott Fellman. In this article he wrote about patience and how incredibly important it is to our hobby. We all know this hobby takes time and knowledge to bring your tank to life and have it thrive, but Scott was talking about how this is so important because in today's world the forums are flooded with people who expect to have there tanks looking like a mature coral reef in just a few months and we all know this leads to problems. My first time around in the hobby about 5 years ago failed for me as a result of not having the patience or knowledge to grow a healthy ecosystem. Reading Scott's article opened my eyes and I thought to myself my wedding shouldn't be holding me back, the urge to learn and watch should be what takes the time. I want to learn how alk,MG,and Calc react together, I want to see what different lighting settings do for algae, I want to take the time a quarantine fish and observe them to see what normal habits are vs not.... and much more. Scott also talked about how there so ,any great build threads out there but many more build threads that start with the mature reef thus giving the perception that you can have a tank like that with no issues in just a few months. He went on to say that people need to appreciate the build, and not just the physical build but the building of the ecosystem that takes place by nature! People need to be willing to document the tank "uglies" and learn to overcome these issues with out dumping chemicals into the tank.
Thank you Scott for providing valuable insight with that article. I want to take a pledge that my build thread will document the daily or weekly water test, the battles I'll have with algae, the failures and death I will likely experience at one point or another. Most of all I pledge to make my thread a place that I hope a new hobbyist can read one day and see what it really takes to get to the end game of a beautiful ecosystem. I hope his article can start a trend and bring this to light and more people feel good to share the long and potentially ugly road it takes to achieve real beauty!;)

Hey, nothing really new in that piece; just the occasional kick in the dorsal side we all need to stay on course and enjoy the whole process of evolving our reef tanks...really makes it more fun, contributes to the "state of the art"- and to "reef culture", too! Thanks for the kind words...just keep doing what you're doing! :)

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same and it worked great, I waited for about three weeks since I didn't cycle my rock before I put it in the tank.

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same and it worked great, I waited for about three weeks since I didn't cycle my rock before I put it in the tank.
Yea mine will be longer to im thinking at least 2 months I dont want to rush anything and I also did not cycle my rock

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System is up and running so far so good. Bringing it up to saltinity now the only thing is the return pump is quite loud im going to have to come up with something the wife wont be happy

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build I actually bought a 100 gallon from Steve , came in 2 days ago and. Or happy with the seams. I cantacted him and he said it was "cosmetics" and said he was away from the office. Have not heard back. Kinda disappointed in a way as he responded too all emails prior to buying tank..

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build I actually bought a 100 gallon from Steve , came in 2 days ago and. Or happy with the seams. I cantacted him and he said it was "cosmetics" and said he was away from the office. Have not heard back. Kinda disappointed in a way as he responded too all emails prior to buying tank..
May i ask what didnt you like with the seams? I have to spots that i raised an eyebrow at but upon extremely close inspection i deemed it to be ok

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System is up and running so far so good. Bringing it up to saltinity now the only thing is the return pump is quite loud im going to have to come up with something the wife wont be happy
Is loud due to vibration or just a loud pump.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back