Another SPS polyp extension thread

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
+1
I didn’t try sps until my tank hit the 6 year mark... not saying it can’t be done but you don’t want anything fluctuating!

Your stuff doesn’t look that bad IMO

6 years?!
Gotdamb, that’s a whole bushel full of patience and almost 2 terms with a hairpiece wacko at the desk!

“Shudders”

:eek:

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 years?!
Gotdamb, that’s a whole bushel full of patience and almost 2 terms with a hairpiece wacko at the desk!

“Shudders”

:eek:

It was more of a progression and I would say it wasn’t just waiting six years, LOL I went from a softy tank to Mixed reef, to lps and just bit the bullet and went Sps and high end lps!

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 mp40's and a gyre plus whatever my return pump adds here on my 240 cube. 2 dwarf angel fish though so I have hardly any PE. That is saying they nip at anything.
PE has always been elusive to me for long periods of time. I don't know why.

Corey

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Source of coral? Aquacultured or wild/ maricultured? It can take time for coral to acclimate to captive systems, as their natural defense is to be mainly closed during daytime and open up at night to feed, natural response. Eventually when there is not threat detected the coral will show more PE. You can also attribute to lack of flow, too much flow, etc. Hermit crabs in my system climb on certain corals and they shut down PE until the hermit leaves. Certain fish pick, some perch as suggested above. Anything that irritates the coral can cause PE to shut down. Perhaps a water analysis is in order, if none of these are the issue? Cheers

OP
OP
ReefAddict16

ReefAddict16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Source of coral? Aquacultured or wild/ maricultured? It can take time for coral to acclimate to captive systems, as their natural defense is to be mainly closed during daytime and open up at night to feed, natural response. Eventually when there is not threat detected the coral will show more PE. You can also attribute to lack of flow, too much flow, etc. Hermit crabs in my system climb on certain corals and they shut down PE until the hermit leaves. Certain fish pick, some perch as suggested above. Anything that irritates the coral can cause PE to shut down. Perhaps a water analysis is in order, if none of these are the issue? Cheers
All coral are aquacultured. My flame hawk doesn’t perk on the coral at all. Mainly on the sand bed and rock. I was thinking maybe too much kalkwasser being dosed due to faster evaporation but Ive stopped dosing kalkwasser for the past few weeks and corals are still looking bad. Maybe a water analysis is what I need.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All coral are aquacultured. My flame hawk doesn’t perk on the coral at all. Mainly on the sand bed and rock. I was thinking maybe too much kalkwasser being dosed due to faster evaporation but Ive stopped dosing kalkwasser for the past few weeks and corals are still looking bad. Maybe a water analysis is what I need.
Could be swinging parameters based on your kalkwasser usage. I would test alk and make sure it is steady, which if you are swinging with alk, the lack of PE will be an indicator of stress, could very well be the issue. Cheers :)

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like a water issue. If you don't see any fish picking at the polyps, then I doubt it's a fish. I have milles in all flow conditions in my tank and they all have some PE. My guess is there is something wrong with your water, whether it be the tank is too young, nutrients are off, you're introducing bad top off water from exhausted RO/DI unit, etc. If all of your corals have recessed polyps, there's a larger issue in the tank that is bothering them to the point that they're trying to protect themselves. I always start with my water source and check my filters, look for any leaching magnets, check nutrients, and if all else fails do a water change.

OP
OP
ReefAddict16

ReefAddict16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had my green slimer RTN on me overnight and another acro is slowly dying but so far my newer acros have their polyps out and are maintaining their color. They’ve been in my system for a couple weeks after I stopped dosing the kalkwasser. Also about to order myself a RODI unit.

SelimSeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about this. I have acros with good colors and growth but no polyp extension. So, is polyp extension is an indicator of good health and without it we should worry about somethings going wrong? Or does it change from acro to acro?

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t focus too much on a crazy amount of flow, although everyone says it’s so important.
I don’t have any powerheads, but have very good PE and growth.
I would check other things especially something physically bothering them.
I’ve also seen many very healthy tanks without great PE.

OP
OP
ReefAddict16

ReefAddict16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t focus too much on a crazy amount of flow, although everyone says it’s so important.
I don’t have any powerheads, but have very good PE and growth.
I would check other things especially something physically bothering them.
I’ve also seen many very healthy tanks without great PE.

I’ve been reading the same things. Is flow actually necessary for SPS?
I do see my flame hawk perching on some of the acros but I’d hate to get rid of him. Other than that I can’t see any other problems...
So far the newer frags are doing good. I guess time will only tell for now.

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reading the same things. Is flow actually necessary for SPS?
I do see my flame hawk perching on some of the acros but I’d hate to get rid of him. Other than that I can’t see any other problems...
So far the newer frags are doing good. I guess time will only tell for now.
Some flow is absolutely needed, but a huge amount, definitely not. I just use my return pump for all my flow.
I once had a clown goby and lost all my PE from it sitting on the sps. Once I got rid of it, my PE was back within a couple days.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back