Another Toadstool not opening thread

ShrimplicitBias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I've had my tyree toadstool for about a year now. I started with a 5g tank, and boy did he grow quick! In July I set up a 10g IM Nuvo. I let it cycle for a couple months, added some hermits and a goby, a couple zoas, all is well (nitrates are a little higher than my 5G at 12ppm, PH stable at 8.3, SG 1.026)

I added the toadstool two months ago, and I have not seen him fully extend once. I'm starting to get worried! I understand the shedding process, and have seen him do it a couple times in the 5g. Up to a week of him being closed makes sense. But now his polyps are extending about a millimeter at all times, and I haven't noticed any changes. I just moved him today to a higher spot with higher flow in the tank, but I that whole tank is higher flow than the last one, and the lighting is the same (Kessil a80).

What can I do to help him? I know I shouldn't move him around too much, but after 2 months I figure it was worth a shot. I also removed the largest hermit about two weeks ago, in case he was irritating it.

The zoas and yuma in the tank seem unbothered. Thanks for reading!
Today 12/29/22
1672367853575.png

Outgrowing the 5g:
1672367965517.png

1672367976735.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only come out when they don’t see you looking at them. They’re afraid if they look happy you will move them again. Only time will heal this relationship,
I’m Dr. Reef.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My toadstool did similar antics when I moved it from one end to the other and toward the front when it had been in back. Change of flow and lighting both. About a week later it’s started to open up again. Give it time, they’re very resilient .

OP
OP
ShrimplicitBias

ShrimplicitBias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My toadstool did similar antics when I moved it from one end to the other and toward the front when it had been in back. Change of flow and lighting both. About a week later it’s started to open up again. Give it time, they’re very resilient .
@steveschuerger I hope so; it's been nearly two months now though! Not worse, but not better either!

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only offer my experience. I had moved my toadstool a while back because I was rearranging some rock. It opened for a bit and then closed up for at least a month, it was probably closer to 2. The base even got pretty skinny in the middle and could barely stay upright (any fish or snail moving by would cause it to lay over a bit).

Then one day it decided to start opening up and has been open for the past month or so. The base looks fat and happy again as well.

I had decided I was not going to mess with it and let it be. It was definitely in higher flow than it was before I moved it. Who knows if the higher flow or possibly a little different light upset it but it did finally get over it and looks great now.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back