Any chance to save this?

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My clumsy Blue Hippo broke a piece of my acro off which seems to be a clean break and now laying here. Can I glue this to another rock or frag or is it toast?
521116C2-763A-47D7-8845-D8B270BF428E.jpeg

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
man I hate to say it but it looks like a goner. U can send it my way for autopsy though lol. But fr thats a nice looking frag you got there police it on a rock or flag plug with some super glue and you will be just fine :)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to let you know, this is how SPS propagate in the wild -- Breaking off. This happens from growth not supporting the weight, storms, fat fish, parrot fish being sloppy eaters, etc etc.

So yeah, this is 100% normal, it will survive right where it is if you want, or put it on a plug, or glue it down next to the rest of the colony. All options are good.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragments have a low percentage chance of survival in the wild unless they are large and the lower parts can die to support the upper parts in the water column - most get blow into the sand and buried. The fragments can also fall into other coral and possibly kill or damage both. This is why they really warn you not to break the coral when you go snorkeling or scuba. However, some fragments do end up living. Sexual reproduction is what keep the reefs going. Polyp bailout an also do this in some species.

In any case, this should be no problem.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back