Any from Delco, PA Area?

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, after starting off with 5 dwarf cerith snails earlier this year, I now have well over 100 in my tank. My wife and niece said they think it might even be more than 200. o_O

I know these don't sell for much (unless you fold in shipping costs), but anyone interested in figuring out a trade?

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'm the only one on this thread this week. Lol.

Anyone make any purchases from Hidden Reef these last several months? I know at the beginning of this thread, everyone seemed to agree that its a good place to go for corals. I went there for the first time ever on Tuesday and really wanted to get an aussie torch coral, but saw a few things in other non-coral tanks that gave me cold feet.

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm right on the edge of Newtown Square, definitely hoping to buy some used gear off some of the local community.

Hey @dtruitt, few ideas for used gear in our area...
- Check out Southeastern P.A. Saltwater Reef Aquarium group on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/SEPASAE). Members are constantly posting used gear.
- I've seen some stuff on OfferUp and letgo apps

Are you starting from scratch? What kind of tank do you have or are you looking to set up?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @dtruitt, few ideas for used gear in our area...
- Check out Southeastern P.A. Saltwater Reef Aquarium group on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/SEPASAE). Members are constantly posting used gear.
- I've seen some stuff on OfferUp and letgo apps

Are you starting from scratch? What kind of tank do you have or are you looking to set up?

I'm starting from scratch. I have most of the gear I'm going to need already for a 65G reef build (starting out FOWLR though). I'll definitely join that group.

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting from scratch. I have most of the gear I'm going to need already for a 65G reef build (starting out FOWLR though). I'll definitely join that group.

Nice! I'm a little over a year in and also started out FOWLR last winter. I started adding a few corals last year and have been jumping more into corals this winter. Not sure if you went through this whole thread, but @VB313 had a nice summary of LFS in our area... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/any-from-delco-pa-area.617387/post-6206946.

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the tank coming along?

Good. We bought an entire 29G system from someone getting out of the hobby, so we have 2 tanks set up now and one fish between them :D

The 65G main tank is going through a fairly intense diatom bloom right now. The 29g has a moderate GHA problem, and since we used some live rock from that system to seed the 65, we are seeing some GHA starting in there too.

We are gradually introducing CUC to the 65 to try and minimize the algae naturally. We have some hermits that seem healthy if a bit lethargic. We had two turbos but one died and the other is pretty sedentary. I went a little nuts with the cocktail shrimp to kick off the cycle, so I picked up a couple nassarius snails to clean up the left over shrimp - they immediately dove into the substrate and we havent seen them since. I'm assuming the nassarius snails are quite happy with the remnants in the sand because they dont surface when I feed the hermits.

The 29g has a hermit, and a bunch of tiny mystery snails. There were supposed to be some other snails and hermits in the system but they may have passed in transit.

We got a "blenny" that was actually a scooter Dragonet. The 65 has a refugium with chaeto stocked with pods, so I'm sure the Dragonet will be happy there when I can catch her to move her over there. Shes been nipping at things in the 29, so I dont think there is a rush. I'm a little bummed I took her at face value as a blenny because we really wanted to do mandarins and I dont know if the 65g will be able to support the scooter and mandarins. She is fun to watch though.

I think the plan now is to get 2 trochus and 2 cerith snails for each tank next time were at the LFS. We also plan on getting a lawnmower blenny for the 29g. I'm hoping this will be a good starting point, and we can slowly add more snails until the algae starts to improve.

The 29g has a ton of red mushroom corals and a beige / orange leather. All of the corals are doing okay. They looked a little droopy yesterday but decreasing light intensity and temperature seemed to help.

Hows your system running?

Sam25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, Center City here! thanks for all the new LFS listed here. My favorite is the Aquarium Center in NJ as it is a quick drive for me. my current Fluval Evo is all stocked from there. Will Definitely check out the others for my new build in the coming months

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. I’m Brent and I’m from Downingtown, PA. Started my 120 at the beginning of the year. I was in the hobby back in 2006/07 with a 55. I’m so glad to be back and am totally consumed by this hobby. I don’t know anyone else in the hobby so I figured I would start here and introduce myself. Happy reefing

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself. I’m Brent and I’m from Downingtown, PA. Started my 120 at the beginning of the year. I was in the hobby back in 2006/07 with a 55. I’m so glad to be back and am totally consumed by this hobby. I don’t know anyone else in the hobby so I figured I would start here and introduce myself. Happy reefing
Just checked your build thread really nice

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We are right around the corner from you in Malvern.

Where you usually getting your livestock?

Mi1kyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I’m fairly new to the hobby was really into freshwater for a number of years I currently have a 14 gallon nano reef tank and my girlfriend has a 75 gallon marine tank. Thought I’d introduce myself to the south eastern pa community. She got a striped puffer before we met and it’s now causing havoc in her tank being aggressive as puffers are. So she is trying to sell it! If you’re in the area and interested please let me know!

image.jpg

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are right around the corner from you in Malvern.

Where you usually getting your livestock?
I only deal with Mike Castiglioni at Aquarium Research Specialties if I can. Before I got into this hobby, I knew people kept saltwater tanks, but I had never seen a reef tank. I was in the Frazer Zoo when Mike was there and just stumbled into the aquarium area he managed. I was blown away looking at the coral in his tanks, as I had no idea this was even a thing. I was pretty much hooked at that point and Mike helped me in so many ways. He's just a good guy too and really wants to help you succeed. I've tried to buy things from him before that he wouldn't sell me because of this or that reason (all looking out for mine and the creatures best interest). I honestly don't know if I'll ever buy a coral or invert anywhere else. For one, I want to support him for all the help he has given me, but he also has an amazing selection. I mean one day if I'm looking for a specific piece that he doesn't have and I can find it elsewhere, sure I'll buy it. But for now he has more than enough options for me. He doesn't always have a big selection of fish though. I'm kind of struggling to find fish at this point, but Mike has told me its impossible to get anything other than captive bred fish right now. He said that when things are running normally, he can order specific fish so I will probably end up going that route when we reopen. Being from Malvern, I'm assuming you frequent ASR? Where else do you go?

Tom Carr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud, I am not far from you. I live in Havertown Pa and have been in the hobby a while. I also got out of the hobby for about six years after our twins were born and my 25 year old tank sprung a leak. I just got back in last November and could be happier. The kids love it and get excited when i bring things home for the tank.
Not sure where you buy you fish and corals, you need to check out Aquarium Specialties & Research center in Malvern. The owners nam is Mike and he is awesome.
He is doing cube side pickups between 12&6.
Give him a call with any questions or concerns. 610-644-4492

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud, I am not far from you. I live in Havertown Pa and have been in the hobby a while. I also got out of the hobby for about six years after our twins were born and my 25 year old tank sprung a leak. I just got back in last November and could be happier. The kids love it and get excited when i bring things home for the tank.
Not sure where you buy you fish and corals, you need to check out Aquarium Specialties & Research center in Malvern. The owners nam is Mike and he is awesome.
He is doing cube side pickups between 12&6.
Give him a call with any questions or concerns. 610-644-4492
Yes! Mike is the best, and an all around good guy. Fortunately he’s let me in the store multiple times during this mess to pick out some corals. I just got my clam from the ones he got in this week.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back