Any from Delco, PA Area?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only deal with Mike Castiglioni at Aquarium Research Specialties if I can. Before I got into this hobby, I knew people kept saltwater tanks, but I had never seen a reef tank. I was in the Frazer Zoo when Mike was there and just stumbled into the aquarium area he managed. I was blown away looking at the coral in his tanks, as I had no idea this was even a thing. I was pretty much hooked at that point and Mike helped me in so many ways. He's just a good guy too and really wants to help you succeed. I've tried to buy things from him before that he wouldn't sell me because of this or that reason (all looking out for mine and the creatures best interest). I honestly don't know if I'll ever buy a coral or invert anywhere else. For one, I want to support him for all the help he has given me, but he also has an amazing selection. I mean one day if I'm looking for a specific piece that he doesn't have and I can find it elsewhere, sure I'll buy it. But for now he has more than enough options for me. He doesn't always have a big selection of fish though. I'm kind of struggling to find fish at this point, but Mike has told me its impossible to get anything other than captive bred fish right now. He said that when things are running normally, he can order specific fish so I will probably end up going that route when we reopen. Being from Malvern, I'm assuming you frequent ASR? Where else do you go?

ASR is the only place I'm willing to go, for many of the reasons you described. Weve tried a number of the other places, and for anyone keeping SPS, or anyone interested in some of the more exotic corals and inverts, theres no contest.

Ive done Divers Den for a couple of fish since the smaller suppliers Mike sources from have been hit pretty hard by the pandemic.

Captain Nemos and Coralust are great if you're in a pinch and need dry goods faster than they will arrive from BRS.

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ASR is the only place I'm willing to go, for many of the reasons you described. Weve tried a number of the other places, and for anyone keeping SPS, or anyone interested in some of the more exotic corals and inverts, theres no contest.

Ive done Divers Den for a couple of fish since the smaller suppliers Mike sources from have been hit pretty hard by the pandemic.

Captain Nemos and Coralust are great if you're in a pinch and need dry goods faster than they will arrive from BRS.
Mike has a guy he works with named Ryan, I think? I’m not sure what their relationship is, if Ryan is an employee or subcontractor type or what but I met Ryan in the shop a couple of times and last time Ryan mentioned he did house calls. Do you have any experience with that? I have a vacation coming up in early June that’s surprisingly still on. I’m going to need someone to come to my house a couple times that week. I have a good friend (not a hobbyist) that I could give instructions to but I’m worried if something starts to go south who I would call.

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike has a guy he works with named Ryan, I think? I’m not sure what their relationship is, if Ryan is an employee or subcontractor type or what but I met Ryan in the shop a couple of times and last time Ryan mentioned he did house calls. Do you have any experience with that? I have a vacation coming up in early June that’s surprisingly still on. I’m going to need someone to come to my house a couple times that week. I have a good friend (not a hobbyist) that I could give instructions to but I’m worried if something starts to go south who I would call.

I've been meaning to get in touch with him, but my schedule doesn't permit me to call him during normal business hours.

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Mike is the best, and an all around good guy. Fortunately he’s let me in the store multiple times during this mess to pick out some corals. I just got my clam from the ones he got in this week.

I actually snagged one of the clams that came in this week too. Very excited about that addition, I had no idea how cool they are until I saw them in the store. He had some of those red sea clams earlier this year, I think I'm going to hound him about getting some more of them.

FYI, if you need someone to tank sit during June, I may be a slightly better resource than someone that isnt a hobbyist, but definitely not an expert. PM me and well sort something out if you'd like.

Also pictured: A BTA split from one we got a couple weeks ago and a Lobo that's maybe a little too big for the tank.

20200509_121736.jpg

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone want a BTA? These guys have been getting into some trouble hanging out with my acros.

I'll trade a BTA and possibly a maxi jet 400 for a pump that can do 5+ feet head pressure to make water changes less labor intensive.

20200611_191515.jpg 20200611_191500.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone want a BTA? These guys have been getting into some trouble hanging out with my acros.

I'll trade a BTA and possibly a maxi jet 400 for a pump that can do 5+ feet head pressure to make water changes less labor intensive.

I can't really use the BTA. I tried once and it ended up in my wavemaker besides I'm going to try acros myself. I do have a Danner Mag 9.5 if you want it. It works but was tripping my GFCI so I wouldn't use it as a return anymore but might work for you for water changes. If it works for you we can say it's for "future considerations" lol. Let me know.

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Beautiful BTA, I'm also looking to add my first acro so no go on my end.

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a second hand RO system with "all new" cartridges. The good news is the cartridges were new, the bad news is that the RO membrane was installed backwards. Between poor source water, a miscalibrated refractometer, and overly conservative lighting, my acros are looking pretty sorry right now. Once I finish up a few water changes with good RO water and they start to spring back, I've got a blue and green Acropora Valida that is apparently *very* hardy I can cut for you guys.

I've also got a millepora and a PC rainbow I may be able to cut.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a bunch of acros I sell if yall want to check out my for sale page. I'm in Allentown.

OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a second hand RO system with "all new" cartridges. The good news is the cartridges were new, the bad news is that the RO membrane was installed backwards. Between poor source water, a miscalibrated refractometer, and overly conservative lighting, my acros are looking pretty sorry right now. Once I finish up a few water changes with good RO water and they start to spring back, I've got a blue and green Acropora Valida that is apparently *very* hardy I can cut for you guys.

I've also got a millepora and a PC rainbow I may be able to cut.

Sounds good to me. Keep us posted. No hurry here, I'm just getting over dinos for the last 4-5 months. What a PITA. I was hoping this thread would start stuff like this.

I have a bunch of acros I sell if yall want to check out my for sale page. I'm in Allentown.

Yea I've been stalking your post in the Livestock Selling forum, haha. Nice colonies you have there. I'm sure I'll be in touch once things stabilize a little longer.

OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say I was in NJ the other day and stopped by Aquarium Center in Blackwood that was mentioned in post #5. They had a good selection of fish considering all that's been going on with prices same or lower than LA. I also stopped by TSM Aquatics in Sewell and curbside picked up some CUC a couple weeks ago to get Trochus and Mexican Turbos they have in stock if anyone's looking.

I'm looking for Splatter Hammer and/or Orange Fungia. Anyone know where I can find them local?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say I was in NJ the other day and stopped by Aquarium Center in Blackwood that was mentioned in post #5. They had a good selection of fish considering all that's been going on with prices same or lower than LA. I also stopped by TSM Aquatics in Sewell and curbside picked up some CUC a couple weeks ago to get Trochus and Mexican Turbos they have in stock if anyone's looking.

I'm looking for Splatter Hammer and/or Orange Fungia. Anyone know where I can find them local?

I bought a splatter hammer from ASR in Malvern. He often has fungia as well, but I bought our fungia from Coralust in phoenixville. I wouldn't recommend the latter store.

The fungia is a painfully slow grower. If you've got the cash, that's one that you might want to look for a larger chunk.

Still trying to figure out the hammer. Torches can take an absurd amount of flow and light. Hammers seem a little pickier.

Last edited:

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got some zoas cut and ready for sale.

3 polyps of purple monsters
20200819_220812.jpg

5 or so polyps of utter chaos
20200819_220834.jpg

5 or so polyps of "kracken" zoas, the variety over at savage reef, not the reef raft morph.
20200819_220854.jpg

I've also got two 1" cuts of green monti digi. They were shaded and not at full potential yet, but very hardy. The cut in the picture should be ready to go.
20200820_195246.jpg

Also have frags of montipora spongodes, and jason fox aquaman coloring up. PM me if interested in any of them.

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got a par meter for sale or even possibly want to rent me one for a few hours?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back