Any good bristleworm control that isn't arrow crabs or yellow coris wrasse?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look into that! Are they reef safe?
Based on what I found online, it appears that they only prey on polychaetes (and if I can somehow confirm that they will eat Oenone fulgida, which are also polychaetes, that would be great). However, being venomous, I would be cautious about buying Conus regius.
@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what I found online, it appears that they only prey on polychaetes (and if I can somehow confirm that they will eat Oenone fulgida, which are also polychaetes, that would be great). However, being venomous, I would be cautious about buying Conus regius.
@Jay Hemdal
Looked into that, I have been keeping this setup to have livestock native to Australia/indo pacific, anything out there that will eat bristleworms?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why are you trying to get rid of bristleworms? You feed the tank, they clean up, that's how it works. I have thousands of bristleworms in my tank among healthy corals, fish, clams, etc and the bristleworms clean up and don't bother anything. Their numbers are directly associated with the available food. I never understood the hatred people have for them, other than the occasional bristles in the hand.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
After a bit more research, there are two species of crab native to that range that are on quality marine (where my LFS sources livestock) are red fiddler crabs (uca crassipes) or blue fiddler crabs (Pertrolesthes) Reef Safe, do they live in a fully aquatic enviorment and do they eat bristleworms?

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you trying to get rid of bristleworms? You feed the tank, they clean up, that's how it works. I have thousands of bristleworms in my tank among healthy corals, fish, clams, etc and the bristleworms clean up and don't bother anything. Their numbers are directly associated with the available food. I never understood the hatred people have for them, other than the occasional bristles in the hand.
Just trying to control the population

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just trying to control the population
But why? Are you seeing any negative issues with their population? Are you trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but in my 40+ years of keeping saltwater, bristleworms have to be the most misunderstood inverts out there. Their function/role in our tanks is vital to the overall health of the tank. They are one of the best detritivores out there.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why? Are you seeing any negative issues with their population? Are you trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but in my 40+ years of keeping saltwater, bristleworms have to be the most misunderstood inverts out there. Their function/role in our tanks is vital to the overall health of the tank. They are one of the best detritivores out there.
I just don't like them lol, I see way too many of them for my liking, plus the added risk of being stung.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand that most people don't like them, but their importance in a healthy tank is vital in my book/experience. There are certain pseudochromis that will eat them, but they also tend to be a little aggressive with tankmates, although most captive bred pseudo's are mild compared to their wild counterparts.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a bit more research, there are two species of crab native to that range that are on quality marine (where my LFS sources livestock) are red fiddler crabs (uca crassipes) or blue fiddler crabs (Pertrolesthes) Reef Safe, do they live in a fully aquatic enviorment and do they eat bristleworms?
I believe fiddlers only feed out of the water during low tide

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem with bristle worms I think they get a bad reputation from misinformation. Maybe they need more competition from other invertebrates to help keep their numbers down?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 35
  • FEAB3908-74FA-409C-9F78-795AE27D227E.jpeg
    FEAB3908-74FA-409C-9F78-795AE27D227E.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 33

Falreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworm traps. Bait and remove frequently. Get a couple dottybacks. I’ve also had watchman gobies eat them. I’ve seen them do it. Bait traps overnight, remove first thing in am. Get a few with different sizes. Splendid dottybacks, purple dotty backs. Various wrasses.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coral banded shrimp are supposed to eat bristle worms. However I have one and the only time I saw it eating one is when I offer the worm to her.... I do not see as many worms as I used to, so it must catch them sometimes.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for bristleworm control in my 120, so far a coral-only setup as I haven't been able to get fish in, though there is alot of bristleworms, any good control that might be easier to get in? Also, do butterflies (specifically pyramid butterflies) eat bristleworms, they're the fish I've been trying to get in.
Thanks!
Try something like this.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AC Neon Dottyback eats Bristle Worms, I’ve seen the Spines Sticking out of him. Doesn’t harm him, though. Also it eats Aiptasia Anemones, was wondering what ate these, just caught the Dottyback munching on them a couple days ago. It may have wiped out my Waving Hand Coral. Hasn’t touched the GSP.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back