Any good bristleworm control that isn't arrow crabs or yellow coris wrasse?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than sand dwellers made to eat these things, trapping is likely your best bet. I have never found a fish that would consistently eat them beyond a larger tooth-with-fins type of deal like a Guinea Fowl Puffer or Queen Trigger. Have you ever gotten their bristles in your hands? Who wants to eat that?

This will be a lifetime challenge to trap them. The worms will likely quickly multiply if there is room and food for them. They always seem to hit an equilibrium whether you want them to or not.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AC Neon Dottyback eats Bristle Worms, I’ve seen the Spines Sticking out of him. Doesn’t harm him, though. Also it eats Aiptasia Anemones, was wondering what ate these, just caught the Dottyback munching on them a couple days ago. It may have wiped out my Waving Hand Coral. Hasn’t touched the GSP.
Has the dottyback always eaten aptasia or hew thing?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the dottyback always eaten aptasia or hew thing?
I think it had always eaten it, I would get a small outbreak, then it would disappear for a while, only to return. Couldn’t figure out what was eating it. I’ve had Gulf Peppermint Shrimp, but not always, were they in the Aquarium.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it had always eaten it, I would get a small outbreak, then it would disappear for a while, only to return. Couldn’t figure out what was eating it. I’ve had Gulf Peppermint Shrimp, but not always, were they in the Aquarium.
I wonder if all dottybacks eat them?

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworm trap?
I have caught over 50 in less than 30mins with one of these!
Great for knocking down the numbers quickly.
1697060077689.png

Where did you get this?

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if all dottybacks eat them?
Nope.. my orchid (fridmani) wont even touch them.
I got it think and remembering they ate bristle worms, but i guess its a hit or miss thing.
My Tank raised one, can care less about even the small ones.

And dottybacks are SOB's.
They are super aggressive most of the time, unless you win the lottery or something and get a really docile one.
And that Neon is suposed to be the most aggressive out all the Psudo's earning the name "Karen" of the dottyback world.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think arrow crabs are cool in big tanks. Why not use one even if just temporarily for pest control? Cheap pest gitter
Agree, cool to watch them eat one too when they catch it…

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope.. my orchid (fridmani) wont even touch them.
I got it think and remembering they ate bristle worms, but i guess its a hit or miss thing.
My Tank raised one, can care less about even the small ones.

And dottybacks are SOB's.
They are super aggressive most of the time, unless you win the lottery or something and get a really docile one.
And that Neon is suposed to be the most aggressive out all the Psudo's earning the name "Karen" of the dottyback world.
My indigo dottyback is a saint

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pick bristleworms up all the time when trimming back my cheato. Never been stung. I have thousands in my tank. I haven't seen them cause a problem yet. Tank is 3 years old and they were in the tank from the beginning as I seeded it with bristleworms and amphipods from IPSF when I set it up

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pick bristleworms up all the time when trimming back my cheato. Never been stung. I have thousands in my tank. I haven't seen them cause a problem yet. Tank is 3 years old and they were in the tank from the beginning as I seeded it with bristleworms and amphipods from IPSF when I set it up
I’ve never heard of seeding with brustleworms and amphipods wouldn’t they just in the cycle?

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of seeding with brustleworms and amphipods wouldn’t they just in the cycle?
Maybe the term seeding was misleading. I just ordered some and put them in the tank. As time has gone on they have multiplied and been self sustaining. The amphipods in particular have great for my Possum Wrasse. He hunts then 24/7.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back