Any Good Calcium Reactors?

Winschuc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to open the valve to release co2, then you are probably pumping in too much. When was the last time you calibrated your ph probe? I had a similar problem, found out my ph probe was off a bit. Once I calibrated the probe, it was good to go

Not CO2, the clamp that controls the drip of effluent into the sump.

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not CO2, the clamp that controls the drip of effluent into the sump.

I understood what you were saying. You have to open the effluent to let out built up pressure in the reactor. This is usually caused by excess co2 being injected into the reactor. If your ph probe isn't calibrated, it might be reading normal, but the real ph number may be much less.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MTC has my vote.
procal reactor.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to remember, but I got it from MTC. It has a solonoid and a needle valve. Very nice gauge. I think it was around $120. This was when I first set it up. Now I use ARM coarse in it and it is using a blueline pump. I also use a 10g CO2 cylinder.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using geo with plant.com regulator and 5lbs co2

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what I am getting the Geo with the Carbon Doser from Aquarium Plants
You'll be very happy with this setup

Regardless of what that one fella posted about a peristaltic pump being overkill, my guess would be that he's never used one lol. Trust me, it makes all the difference in the world! All the control and ability to dial things in of 2 part dosing, but with the foundation and trace element dosing of a calcium reactor. Much safer than 2 part dosing as well.

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be very happy with this setup

Regardless of what that one fella posted about a peristaltic pump being overkill, my guess would be that he's never used one lol. Trust me, it makes all the difference in the world! All the control and ability to dial things in of 2 part dosing, but with the foundation and trace element dosing of a calcium reactor. Much safer than 2 part dosing as well.
That fella was me. Been running calcium reactors for years, and never had a problem dialing them in. I think the people that use those variable speed pumps never had the reactor setup correctly. A peristaltic pump may be easier, but it's absolutely not necessary. Just my opinion.

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering. What was the reactor not doing correctly before you added the variable speed pump?

Didn't say it was required. It's a nice piece of equipment that provides rock steady effluent flow regardless of things that would cause a regular feed pump to fluctuate.

If there's a clog somewhere, the flow will not change. Flow will never change. The ability to adjust a ml a minute increment means the reactor can be dialed in exactly where needed. You can break down the reactor to clean and refill and coupled with a quality reg, you can put it right back together and fire it up and there is no readjustment at all.

It's just a fact that effluent rate will vary with a cheap impeller driven feed pump. This eliminates that.

The reactor is going to operate fine without it. Will it still dissolve ca based media with the introduction of co2 - yup. There's a reason why Dastaco, the maker of one of the most highly respected calcium reactor setups in the world, includes one with their kit....

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you understand how the whole float switch deal works? That's pretty interesting.

No i don't do you? As that was a question in the comment section.
I believe they will shed their lights on next time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back