Any shark owners on here?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some type of brown bamboo sharks.
Yes bamboo sharks are notoriously inactive. They aren't nocturnal, but crepescular (active most during twilight hours) and even during those hours they don't really move much. The atelomycterus sharks are active slow swimming sharks, although technically still considered benthic sharks (bottom dwellers).

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with wobbegong sharks? I’ve seen them listed for sale before online. I’ve dealt with them in an actual aquarium but not in the home aquarium setting.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hitman another thing to think about, bamboo sharks actually have small teeth that can be used to bite other smaller non predatory fish and are more aggressive than the atelomycterus sharks. So if you decide to go with them I'd have to say only keep them with larger rays. The atelomycterus on the other hand have teeth, but they are used for grabbing food rather than biting food (they eat their food whole) and aren't aggressive in the least (My sharks don't bother my 1" clownfish). So if you're looking for a diverse tank that will be hard to achieve with the bamboo sharks.

Last edited:

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with wobbegong sharks? I’ve seen them listed for sale before online. I’ve dealt with them in an actual aquarium but not in the home aquarium setting.
They're basically huge bamboo sharks, and they eat everything. I've read stories of them eating zebra eels (3+ feet).

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A smooth hound shark would go great in that tank with some rays! I dont think angels will pick at the sharks, that is mainly tangs that try to eat the sharks eyeballs.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A smooth hound shark would go great in that tank with some rays! I dont think angels will pick at the sharks, that is mainly tangs that try to eat the sharks eyeballs.
Sorry, not trying to be rude, but NO. Smooth hounds are extremely active and need at the very minimum 1000 gallons of water. Also yes angels will pick at the shark's eyes, where are you getting your information from?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the correction on the angels. The guys at LAX Aquarium are always trying to push smooth hounds to anyone with a tank over 300g. They are beautiful, but probably best left in the ocean.
Unfortunately it's been my experience LFS always do whats best for them and not the fish. Very gorgeous sharks, and can do well in the right size aquarium.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hitman another thing to think about, bamboo sharks actually have small teeth that can be used to bite other smaller non predatory fish and are more aggressive than the atelomycterus sharks. So if you decide to go with them I'd have to say only keep them with larger rays. The atelomycterus on the other hand have teeth, but they are used for grabbing food rather than biting food (they eat their food whole) and aren't aggressive in the least (My sharks don't bother my 1" clownfish). So if you're looking for a diverse tank that will be hard to achieve with the bamboo sharks.
Yea I just read that, I got to page 179 and my eyes and mind are both fried! Lol I’m definitely leaning towards the ateomycterus family. Thank you for all the info!

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I just read that, I got to page 179 and my eyes and mind are both fried! Lol I’m definitely leaning towards the ateomycterus family. Thank you for all the info!
Lol yeah I was surprised when I seen them too. No problem if you have any other questions PM me I'd be happy to help.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and what temp and salinity do you keep them at as it seems all sites have a big swing in suggested temp and salinity

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kasey Grohowski I found these right away.
https://fishybusinessaquatics.com/fish/sharks/australian-marbled-catshark/
The info I can’t find is this so I’ll ask you,
Once a shark is born is the gender set or do they change like some other fish?
If the gender is set how or where could I get a male and maybe 2 females?
Lighting: if I run only blues and UV lights with whites off or very very dim will they be more active?
Their genders are set, not like anthias or anything. They have "claspers" on the bottom and you'd have to look up pictures to really see which is which, because they are similar. I got my coral catshark from liveaquaria and they knew the gender (Captive Bred) and that is basically the only way to get coral catsharks, because they are near threatened. As far as lights, if you plan to run just blues, in theory they should be more active, because that matches the twilight time in their natural habitat. Like I said they need to get comfortable first before they cruise around during the day. Although I would recommend running a normal day/night cycle with your lights to replicate their natural habitat even more. I would also get lights that are on a timer and have a gradual ramp up/down. it is very important that their light schedule is constant or nearly constant.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and what temp and salinity do you keep them at as it seems all sites have a big swing in suggested temp and salinity
They need high salinity, I keep mine at 1.026. They are more lethargic at lower salinities. Also they need very high levels of dissolved oxygen, a big protein skimmer is a must for 2 reasons: They are big eaters/poopers and a big skimmer will provide good aeration in the tank. Always have a lid as they can/will jump during feeding especially. The highest I keep my tank is 78. I like to keep it at 75 during the winter.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this from a shop that keeps both bamboo and marble cat sharks in the same tank. My wheels are spinning again lol

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the correction on the angels. The guys at LAX Aquarium are always trying to push smooth hounds to anyone with a tank over 300g. They are beautiful, but probably best left in the ocean.

my idiot lfs has 2 leopard sharks and usually a couple horn sharks along with a dozen or so eels in a pretty small (relatively) tank. they suck

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this from a shop that keeps both bamboo and marble cat sharks in the same tank. My wheels are spinning again lol

I couldn't really tell, but a ton (TON) of fish stores list white spotted bamboo sharks (Chiloscyllium Plagiosum) as a marbled catshark, which that shark looked like. That name is also wrong. You have to look at the scientific name i.e chiloscyllium is bamboo shark and atelomycterus is catshark. I'm not sure why they list them like that my guess is lack of knowledge.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back