OP
Hitman

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank build is slowly coming along. That’s a 8 foot 240 gallon behind it. 600lbs of live sand will be delivered Friday, then I’ll start making water and work on the plumbing. Don’t mind the mess as it’s getting turned into a wall for a tank room. @dantimdad I’ll be pestering you with questions mid July when I start my shark and ray shopping lol
C20D1BF8-F2CA-4473-80F4-8B74F9D8FC92.jpeg

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank build is slowly coming along. That’s a 8 foot 240 gallon behind it. 600lbs of live sand will be delivered Friday, then I’ll start making water and work on the plumbing. Don’t mind the mess as it’s getting turned into a wall for a tank room. @dantimdad I’ll be pestering you with questions mid July when I start my shark and ray shopping lol

Awesome!

I look forward to it.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what kind of sharks you are thinking about? If I may throw a suggestion it would be the coral or marbled catsharks (atelomycterus), which are both true catsharks and are quite active when comfortable in the home aquarium.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into Marble Cats or Bamboo still reading up on them. I just bought a copy of the Shark and Ray book
Very good book for shark keeping. With the bamboo sharks they are very inactive, others are more active than others, but I'd say the vast majority of the time the marbled and coral catsharks are much more active. Although of course it's preferance what you want.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm like a kid in a bakery I want them all! I'm leaning towards the Marble as I want activity in the tank. Will one of each coexistence ok?
Ah good I like to consider myself quite knowledgeable with the atelomycterus sharks. Anyway the atelomycterus actually do better in pairs (Hiding together and hunting together). As far as having a catshark and bamboo I'm not sure. The marbled catshark is also fairly readily available, but the coral is actually really hard to get (took me 3 months of actively searching to find one). My marbled and coral I'd say are swimming around more than half of the time. Although when I first got them they hid literally all day, until they got comfortable.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never kept these but my LFS had 3 of them for awhile. They’re nocturnal so basically... they’re boring. They mostly just stay on the bottom.

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I’ve seen are. But you must take into account that they were in only 400g of water. Never watched them at night either. I’d like to see them in a bigger system.
Which sharks were in that system?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm like a kid in a bakery I want them all! I'm leaning towards the Marble as I want activity in the tank. Will one of each coexistence ok?
Another thing that often gets overlooked when getting sharks imo is their hiding places. If you plan on using any lights then the sharks definitely needs many hiding places. If they can't get cover from the lights they will get severely stressed and likely discontinue eating. If you decide to get a bamboo then these caves need to be very big, because they get to be very big when they are fully grown.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back