Any Thoughts On The Klir Filter?

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed a previous comment of $30 meant $30 per roll. My mistake. Unfortunately many report that they might need 2 rolls a month. Either way... My point stands. It's very pricey when alternatives are still as effective. Not to mention many people don't even like using filter socks if they have other means for nutrient export.

Most people only report the negative , for me it would cost me under 168 bucks a year my roll last almost 6 weeks ..

Do once every 5 1/2 to 6 weeks I’m changing a fleece I’ll take that any day of the week the more I keep my hands off my tank the better it is [emoji1]

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe it was address but can the klir filter be used with a trigger sump? if modifications are needed, how "severe" is the modification, to the sump or the filter?

right now i buy the intank filter floss, cut them to size and replace the filter pad every 3-4 days. a pack of floss is about a month of changes and cost $10. im guess the klir is more expensive (on going cost) but dang it if i don't love convenience ...

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank and how much do you feed that you only get 12 days?

I have a 140g feed moderate to heavy and my fleece last a little over 5 weeks. I’m pushing about 600 gph through the unit.

I changed out my fleece 2 weeks ago and it’s only about 1/4 used .

Tank is a 120. I'm also running about 600gph. I feed basicly 2 cubes of frozen a day. But my tank is bare bottom so I'm assuming that's the reason it goes so quick .

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that make sense , I have an inch of sand in my tank , so everything goes to the klir

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank personally has never been this clear thx Klir filter ...

2883fd3cdb31a37b3f8e16240e024c70.jpg

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$250 for unit
1 roll per month $360 (I'm sure it depends on how much you feed)
$610 (no tax) for first year.

Alternative....
$25 filter cup
$50 buy filter floss in bulk (lasts me about a year). All I do is cut up into 7in squares (1 hr of my time to cut up squares for the year). Replace floss 2-3 times a week. No cleaning just throw in trash.
Total for the year <$100

I'll save my money for coral...
Just my opinion of course.
Not everything is about money to everyone. If that were the case don’t have the tank at all —you will save a fortune. Sometimes we pay for convenience.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 2 of them. Plan on putting them on my reefer 525xl. Sure some modding will be required. If I can get this to work this will be the last piece that will allow me to leave the tank for 10 days unattended.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great , for me one of the biggest turn offs about having a tank was having to change and clean filters socks every few days plus the smell.

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, it's not so much changing the socks as cleaning the socks, storing the socks, socks in general. I ran for the past 2 years without socks at all. I also went at least 2 years without cleaning out my sump and just sucked out like an inch of detritus in my sump. The klir not only captured whatever got kicked up, it also takes it out of my tank. Having an automated way to get that stuff out of the tank as soon as possible is what's the best part for me. Being able to run "socks" again without having to constantly replace them (which I needed to do daily...) is amazing. And yeah, I've left my tank completely unattended for 2 weeks plus. To be able to do that and run a "sock" is even better, especially when I know that auto-feeder is probably over-feeding while I'm gone.

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so roll just finished today. I loaded the new one on October 1st, so just about a month. Granted I did have some time where it wasn't turning, but I also stirred up a ton of mud that this thing really cleaned up nicely. Hopefully the next one lasts as long, if not longer.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess a y cable to the motors is better than having 2 PS plugged in

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Y cable gets Plugged into then ps port on the main klir and the Ts on the Slave but not sure

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My y cable splits the motor output to both motors.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I was told, you buy 2 full units @$598 and the $3 Y-cable and disregard using the 2nd units power supply, optical sensor & unit controller.
The 2nd unit will advance when the optical sensor from the 1st unit triggers the unit's single controller where both motor heads are plugged into via the optional Y-cable.
They are supposed to have the 4" slave units for $199 but are not available yet which is silly since it's just minus 3 components that are produced separately and hand packed into the retail box. The 3 components add up to $53.99 separately so unless you think that you need spare parts, it's $50 in fish room closet parts.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 2 full units but no y cable. Anything special about the y cable

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y-cable will allow connection to a single controller, optical sensor and power supply.
If you don't connect it this way, one unit might turn before the other based on the optical sensors and that unit's fleece will be spent before the other unit but it's dependent on how your sump setup behaves.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back