0   0   0
Klir keeping it klir lol

03a4a84105feb2d703444c7f1195704f.jpg

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My roll lasted 18 days , next one will determine more. But my water is definitely more polished.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine the longer you use it the longer the rolls will last no ?

Kind of, yes and no. It will never go down to zero usage of course; it will just stabilize at a number that is based on the amount of waste your tank produces.

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stirred up a ton of stuff tonight. Made a DIY uplift vacuum and sucked out about an inch thick layer of detritus in my skimmer chamber. I just gotta stir stuff up a more frequently, corals loved it! Anyway, the main point is from the time I started till the time I finished, it was amazing how much clearer the water was. My klir inching ever so slightly forward, I'm sure by morning, it will be crystal again and all the stuff that the klir captured won't be sitting in the tank rotting anymore. I'm almost excited to do some more cleaning and letting the klir take more stuff out.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it's 13.99/roll. So each roll would say last 20 days (think I am being generous). So you end up buying say 18 rolls a year. At 13.99 that's $250 a year. Not bad. Not good.

So really you are getting the unit for convenience more than anything else. There are less expensive approaches I think that give the same/better results.

I will eventually get the unit(s) for the convenience factor, just gonna wait till they improve on it. However, I use 50 micron felt socks to begin with. So my water already gets most of the particulates out. I just hate dealing with socks, lol.

I read somewhere that these floss rolls use the same material as some type of automotive filter. Maybe eventually you can make your own rolls cheaper.

If anyone was using anything bigger than 50 micron socks, the floss will go faster at first till your tank eliminates everything down to 50 micron. And most standard socks are 100-200 micron.

Last edited:

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having to clean a single filter sock or remember that’s it’s time to clean them is priceless in my opinion lol

7 weeks without having to o **** my filter socks need changing

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$250 for unit
1 roll per month $360 (I'm sure it depends on how much you feed)
$610 (no tax) for first year.

Alternative....
$25 filter cup
$50 buy filter floss in bulk (lasts me about a year). All I do is cut up into 7in squares (1 hr of my time to cut up squares for the year). Replace floss 2-3 times a week. No cleaning just throw in trash.
Total for the year <$100

I'll save my money for coral...
Just my opinion of course.

jrizo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed one on a IceCap 30 reef sump, about a month ago. I choose a IceCap sump for a 100% compatibility. I have to admit, I am very very disappointed. First of all I want it to use two filters but unfortunately I couldn’t. Two filters in the 30 reef sump don’t fit facing the same direction, one have to be facing the from and one facing the back and the motor sticks out about 5” and the stand door don’t close
So I am using only one. It seem to keep up with the flow but the sump is never been as dirty as it is now. Not to mention that I have to clean the glass ones a day instead of ones a week. I am thinking about going back to filter socks.

Chipp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed one on a IceCap 30 reef sump, about a month ago. I choose a IceCap sump for a 100% compatibility. I have to admit, I am very very disappointed. First of all I want it to use two filters but unfortunately I couldn’t. Two filters in the 30 reef sump don’t fit facing the same direction, one have to be facing the from and one facing the back and the motor sticks out about 5” and the stand door don’t close
So I am using only one. It seem to keep up with the flow but the sump is never been as dirty as it is now. Not to mention that I have to clean the glass ones a day instead of ones a week. I am thinking about going back to filter socks.

My sump got dirtier too, and my water isn’t as clear as filter socks.

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 x 12 doesn't seem like $360?
I assumed a previous comment of $30 meant $30 per roll. My mistake. Unfortunately many report that they might need 2 rolls a month. Either way... My point stands. It's very pricey when alternatives are still as effective. Not to mention many people don't even like using filter socks if they have other means for nutrient export.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed my second roll this morning. I got 12 days on roll number 2.

How big is your tank and how much do you feed that you only get 12 days?

I have a 140g feed moderate to heavy and my fleece last a little over 5 weeks. I’m pushing about 600 gph through the unit.

I changed out my fleece 2 weeks ago and it’s only about 1/4 used .

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$250 for unit
1 roll per month $360 (I'm sure it depends on how much you feed)
$610 (no tax) for first year.

Alternative....
$25 filter cup
$50 buy filter floss in bulk (lasts me about a year). All I do is cut up into 7in squares (1 hr of my time to cut up squares for the year). Replace floss 2-3 times a week. No cleaning just throw in trash.
Total for the year <$100

I'll save my money for coral...
Just my opinion of course.

One roll a month is only $168 bucks a year , plus the cost of the unit is 418 a year. Imo opinion I wouldn’t put the initial cost of the unit into the equation b/c you pay that once it’s not a recurring cost.

So all in all it’s 168 bucks a year for time and connivence if you use one roll a month.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really my sump is basically spotless , it’s Crazy how this changes user to user

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back