Any Thoughts On The Klir Filter?

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A properly designed sump wouldn't overflow if a sock filled up... glad you had space to accommodate it. I wish there were a better way to keep track of the status of the roller. Getting stuck sucks. I've no idea how long I was stuck for and when my roller stopped advancing. I don't think it was long, but longer than I would have liked. It's hands-off maintenance, but definitely introduces a few new things to look out for.

A few things that need to be added:

Adjustment or relocation for the sensor
Maybe a way to change the orientation of the pump if the direction doesn't suit.
Hinge getting caught on fleece when the unit is bent.
Some kind of mark on the fleece or meter on the unit to have some idea on usage.

I'm sure this is doable, but I'd love to be able to put the optical sensor as an input to my controller and then manually trigger the pump, thereby replacing their controller with mine. Then I could put some logic, change the amount being rolled, see how often the trigger is getting triggered, maybe put some controls on how often, etc.

Has anyone done anything with that yet? I'd have to consolidate 2 of my inputs to free one up, but that should be easy enough. Then just need to connect the transformer directly to the motor and add to one of my relay outlets. This thing just became a much more interesting toy...

When u say pump to you mean motor ? And my sump if properly designed I had to mod it with the 1.5 piece of acrylic on my filter sock tray , so even the klir clogs the rush of the 600 gph is like a waterfall coming over they lip

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. Can you open it up more above the adjustment, so it can handle the flow?

Yeah, motor :) A little research and the optical sensor requires a power source also. Might have some options, but need to do some research. Also I think the sensor could even go inside the section that opens up and I could just drill a hole in the drain cover. I'm going to see what I would need to do to wire something like this to my controller. I'm sure it's not that tough to do.

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... Revision 2, I can't wait for you ;).
I want the Klir badly. It's just from my research of user issues and everything taken together as a whole, it seems like it definitely needs to be refined a bit. Nothing crazy, but issues with the motor burning through a whole roll of fleece shouldn't happen, or it getting stuck either. Having an optical sensor on something like a vertical click rail where each notch you move it will click and lock it into place for people with different setups. I've also read feedback that the controller seems extremely cheap and toy-grade. So while it is an excellent concept on paper, it doesn't quite seem ready for prime time, imo.

In the pre-launch advertising it said that it fits a large selection of different sumps. The only sump I've seen it actually fit without modifications are the Icecap sumps (their own sumps). I'm curious to know if there's been anybody that has a sump where the unit drops in perfectly without modification of some sort. So far the Trigger 39 seems the easiest, just replace the removable sock tray, without having to damage some great looking sumps. Wish somebody with a Trigger 34 would chime in.

I would think that making certain sock plates or adapters for other sumps (that don't need widening or cutting) would be a great accessory line for this product. When I contacted CoralVue, they said they don't have other brands of sumps on hand to test these on. So where does the claim that it fits multiple style sumps come in if you've never even tried them out?

At least they got the ball rolling in the right direction :).

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I noticed when at Macna was the size of the upper box was different that advertised.
The website states it was 4.125" x 4.125"
My thought darn wont quite fit my sump as I had a hair less than 4" clearance.
Measuring it at Macna it was actually 3 7/8" x 3 3/4", big difference, could fit.
Those of you with units now can confirm if this is still accurate.
After hearing about a few small issues I have decided to hold off and let the bugs get worked out first.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so far I don't have any other issues with mine. It's working now that I have the optical seems setup on the correct side. Going on 3 weeks with the same two rolls on my dual klir4. I like it a lot makes cleaning the sick less maintenance.

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing that is deceiving is the motor and cord is outside the size of the box. I had a cube and had to drill a hole in my cabinet going out the back for the motor to slide into because of the layout of my sump. I only have one way to install the filter.

One thing I noticed when at Macna was the size of the upper box was different that advertised.
Measuring it at Macna it was actually 3 7/8" x 3 3/4", big difference, could fit.
After hearing about a few small issues I have decided to hold off and let the bugs get worked out first.

Matta Simaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: its just getting better, the third roll served 18 days.. into 4th roll.. well keep updating

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u guys think 1 or 2 for a eco tech vectra m1 running 90%. Its on reefer 525xl. Thinking of buying 2.

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends how high you run them and how much gph you expect. If you're pushing a lot of water, maybe the 7" ones.

So far most of the error so far has been user error that we've seen. It would be nice if there was a slot in the roller to feed some fleece through. That would help align the first few turns and prevent what happened to mine. As far as revisions go, I'd maybe make some more orientations. I'm using an eshopps r-100 with their shelf adapater and pretty drop in ready. That did up the cost a pretty penny to walk in the door, but happy I did that. I had a custom made box before to have that type of sock setup, but it would have required modification, and that had it's own set of issues. The shelf adapter itself was a great upgrade for me alone. Anyone who wants an easier sock setup should look at that anyway :)

From a revision perspective we have some of the orientation options, handling the hing better so the roll doesn't get caught. feed on the roller. The screw is a bit tight and it shouldn't be. Maybe some silicon grease would help. I'm overall happy with it.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it's 13.99/roll. So each roll would say last 20 days (think I am being generous). So you end up buying say 18 rolls a year. At 13.99 that's $250 a year. Not bad. Not good.

So really you are getting the unit for convenience more than anything else. There are less expensive approaches I think that give the same/better results.

Matta Simaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meanwhile its just getting better.. i started with 6 days for a roll.. the first two rolls consumed really fast.. and now its like that..

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping for at least half of the 3 months coralvue said it should last. I'm hoping with time it gets better.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping for at least half of the 3 months coralvue said it should last. I'm hoping with time it gets better.

After a few use errors my two rolls is lasting now. On 3rd week looks half way through.

Chad3407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few use errors my two rolls is lasting now. On 3rd week looks half way through.
Mine isn't user error as it's working perfect. I just think being a new bare bottom tank I have alot of particuls in the water needing g to be filtered out. When I changed my first roll after 2 weeks it was completely full and dark brown.

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I get 4.125x4.250 at the very top (widest)
Of course not taking into account the one side with the motor which is on one of the 4.250 sides.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back