Any Thoughts On The Klir Filter?

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y-cable will allow connection to a single controller, optical sensor and power supply.
If you don't connect it this way, one unit might turn before the other based on the optical sensors and that unit's fleece will be spent before the other unit but it's dependent on how your sump setup behaves.
More wondering about the cable itself. Is it just a normal 1/8" mini jack y cable

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More wondering about the cable itself. Is it just a normal 1/8" mini jack y cable

It's whatever the size Jack the two motors are. I can't find the y cable on eBay. Just order it from coralvue.

ConsummatePro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eshopp sump uses rectangular filter socks: openings are 4.5" x 7" x 2

Really interested in the Klir system - although designed for round filter sock holders, it looks to me like the filter part is a rectangle.

Would the Klir roller fit in one of my rectangular holes? I could fashion an adapter to fill up extra space.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's whatever the size Jack the two motors are. I can't find the y cable on eBay. Just order it from coralvue.
Usually coralvue charges 15-20 shipping on anything, and more importantly I need it sooner. It all 1/8 mini jack, just depends if it uses mono or stereo.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a mini jack it's a barrel for the y cable to the motor block.

SaltMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the Klir 4" filter for about 2 months in an IceCap 30 reef sump and it fits perfectly with no modifications, Klir filter in one sock hole and a Klir diverter in the second sock hole. I was pretty excited for this new product to eliminate the pita of the frequent cleaning of filter socks but my experience so far is a lot of detritus and gunk in my sump as well as more than usual particulates in the water. I now have to clean my glass daily, my sump has gunk buildup that I've never had before and my Varios 4 skimmer pump has stopped working clogged with detritus resulting in additional maintenance. This filter claims that it results in crystal clear water filtered down to 50 microns -- double the filtering capacity of most filter socks. I am not sure why it is not filtering as I've been led to believe, I have taken it out and verified the filter media is threaded correctly and when installed I cannot see any water leaking past the filter or diverter. So far this product has been disappointing and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this same issue?
This is about 8 days of detritus in my sump.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also am running this in an Ice Cap 30 sump.
Even when I was using 200 micron felt filter socks, the bottom of the sump was never crystal clean, I actually feel that my display is clearer with the 50 micron fleece then with the socks.
Are you using your diverter closed as a plug for the 2nd sock hole or are you using it slightly opened for other purposes?

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also am running this in an Ice Cap 30 sump.
Even when I was using 200 micron felt filter socks, the bottom of the sump was never crystal clean, I actually feel that my display is clearer with the 50 micron fleece then with the socks.
Are you using your diverter closed as a plug for the 2nd sock hole or are you using it slightly opened for other purposes?

Same here I used 4 200 micron socks in my set up and still had detritus build up and my water wasn’t clear . With the 4” klir my water is crystal clear and I have no noticeable increase of detritus.
a0710624f343dc966c0ad9b4722f78f6.jpg

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't look at me, I stopped running socks a few years ago and just vacuumed out like an inch of detritus in my sump :) The Klir has been kicking butt for me getting everything back in order.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real problems that I have in the past 2 months is that the fleece roll will get snagged on the not so polished acrylic frame and prevent the motor from turning. Has happened twice and I just take it off line and advance the fleece by pulling until it frees, annoying but not major.
What I don't like is that there is no audible warning other then your sock tray overflowing. The controller does not show error either unless you cut the power and re-power, then it the blue LED will blink.
I'll try to sand the frame where the fleece touches on the next changeout but I think the controller will be the weak link in the future.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've been following this thread for a little while and I like the feedback. As my rather large supply of socks is about to run out and my wife no longer wants to help with washing; I think this might be THE solution. By the time the new tank goes up there should be gen-2 of this product addressing whatever kinks are left. Felt rolls will be abundant and aftermarket rolls probably available by then too.

Has anyone used the 7" product version?

How fast is your felt being used up?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Looks like the price is already lower on the 4" Klir - $249 and the felt rolls are only $13.49

I don't see a 7" version listed at BRS or MD

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS still sells the fleece rolls for $13.99 from what I just saw.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
BRS still sells the fleece rolls for $13.99 from what I just saw.

It must have been the other filter with more expensive rolls that I had in mind. Klir (Coral Vue) actually said the fleece is going to be 9.99 when they were introducing the product at one of the trade show. I watched a YouTube vid this weekend where they covered that.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The 4" version had debuted at $249, so same price.

I must be mixing products, I thought it was 299 originally.

That said, I wonder what the 7" version is when it gets introduced. I think I'd need 2 so hopefully not too crazy.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It must have been the other filter with more expensive rolls that I had in mind. Klir (Coral Vue) actually said the fleece is going to be 9.99 when they were introducing the product at one of the trade show. I watched a YouTube vid this weekend where they covered that.

Yep $9.99 before CoralVue got their hands into it!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back