Any Thoughts On The Klir Filter?

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading reviews on this unit and on every site they're pretty bad. Even with replacement parts provided. Some people say that it lets more debris through than a standard sock.

The thing is, once people try to install it in their sump, you can no longer return it, according to reviews on BRS's site. You need to get it wet to see if it fits, but then you're stuck once it's wet.

Seems like it has a lot in common with the first rollout of the gyre.
May be best to wait for the second generation then?

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me I notice a lot clearer tank water and it sure is getting gunk out just by looking at the rolls. Compare to 0 sock before cause I had to take it out and wash every 2 -3 days this been a very decent purchase. So far I'm going on 3 weeks on the new rolls it did snag once but I just got my new bottomed in from them and will install shortly.

So what have they actually fixed or adjusted so far? I read something about a thing for deeper tanks as well and that the unit comes with 3 adapters (1 is red sea, don't know about the other 2).

Also, you and I both have the newer Trigger Sapphire sumps, but the Emerald (definitely), Ruby and Crystal(?) for some reason are different and the Klir won't fit in the 39 sizes of those. I believe it only fits the Sapphire or Amethyst, or any other newer version.

I'm curious to see if these fit the 7" socks of the Trigger Tide Line series, which I wish I had.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone try the compact theiling roller that can compare the two? They seem priced pretty similar for Black Friday

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what have they actually fixed or adjusted so far? I read something about a thing for deeper tanks as well and that the unit comes with 3 adapters (1 is red sea, don't know about the other 2).

Also, you and I both have the newer Trigger Sapphire sumps, but the Emerald (definitely), Ruby and Crystal(?) for some reason are different and the Klir won't fit in the 39 sizes of those. I believe it only fits the Sapphire or Amethyst, or any other newer version.

I'm curious to see if these fit the 7" socks of the Trigger Tide Line series, which I wish I had.

I don't notice anything change in the new bottom. But till will tell if it gets stuck or not.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed out my roll on 10/12 and it’s still going strong , so I guess the 1st roll last the least amount of time b/c your water is the dirtiest at that time

OP
OP
Forsaken77

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be best to wait for the second generation then?

That's definitely a given my friend. I look at the controller and it tells me all I need to know. I would LOVE to ditch the socks, but I don't feel this unit is particularly made well, let alone made optimally for anything but the Icecap sumps. If people bought it, like it, and it works.... that's great. I'm just talking about my own thoughts for my use.

How could they not look at Trigger sumps when making this? They looked at Red Sea, which many people swap out for another sump anyway. And Trigger is probably one of the largest manufacturers of sumps. Is this a way to try to sway folks to Icecap sumps? I dunno.

I have been looking at the X-filter, but it's pretty much European only. As for the Klir, they still have to get the 7" out. So I think it'll be a minute before they revamp it.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these auto sock are big and clunky. At least these klirs is relatively small.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my dual klir setup up and running on my reefer 525xl. Will post pictures later.

Does anybody have an idea if the lights on the controller mean anything or what the power reset button actually does beside turn it on?? Is there a way to manual advance roller ???

Thanks

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s just an on/off button. I often have trouble shutting power down when the unit use to snag and would have to use a combination of pressing repeatedly and or holding the button in.
There’s no function to manually roll it which is a hindsight issue on their part but I think they are just using a modified version of their ATO controller to save on R&D.
You can however get the unit to manually advance by partially unplugging the optical sensor lead (marked TS on the controller port).

revnull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I needed to replace my fleece, so I took the opportunity to also replace the lower assembly of my DI-4. The only real changes I noticed where the lower rollers are set a little higher in the assembly. This seems to reduce the chance of snagging.

3b46cb08978b7d425a819954b7a3a9f0.jpg

3d0b36c6b62c1d595118e70a4f57cb01.jpg

You can see here that once the fleece is installed, it sits about 1/4" higher.

d5966a79026b0659e5de5275a875a1ec.jpg

Other thing, even though small, is the retaining screw fits much better. It has a proper taper at the tip and doesn't cross thread it's way in.

309e138e29574a7a3da2d388e16917ce.jpg

60917a291bd68eea599eda4f9792a42d.jpg

revnull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s just an on/off button. I often have trouble shutting power down when the unit use to snag and would have to use a combination of pressing repeatedly and or holding the button in.
There’s no function to manually roll it which is a hindsight issue on their part but I think they are just using a modified version of their ATO controller to save on R&D.
You can however get the unit to manually advance by partially unplugging the optical sensor lead (marked TS on the controller port).
On my controller, if I hold on the power/reset button, it will manually advance the fleece until I release.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I needed to replace my fleece, so I took the opportunity to also replace the lower assembly of my DI-4. The only real changes I noticed where the lower rollers are set a little higher in the assembly. This seems to reduce the chance of snagging.

3b46cb08978b7d425a819954b7a3a9f0.jpg

3d0b36c6b62c1d595118e70a4f57cb01.jpg

You can see here that once the fleece is installed, it sits about 1/4" higher.

d5966a79026b0659e5de5275a875a1ec.jpg

Other thing, even though small, is the retaining screw fits much better. It has a proper taper at the tip and doesn't cross thread it's way in.

309e138e29574a7a3da2d388e16917ce.jpg

60917a291bd68eea599eda4f9792a42d.jpg

Is that an adapter piece they sell ?

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hold onto power button it'll advance.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!
Learn something new all the time on this great forum.

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The screw is MUCH better on the replacement bottom section. I'm glad they fixed that.

On another note, I'm currently on day 35 of the current roll. I've still done quite a bit of maintenance and stirring up debris which the klir takes right out and gets out of the tank quickly. I've advanced the filter once or twice to be completely fresh in the water. I'm pretty impressed by the longevity.

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today the roll ended. I'll take it :) 35 days! I took advantage of this time to swap the section out. The fleece rolls much smoother now and I think but haven't proven yet that it doesn't pinch the fleece as much if the hinge opens up, but I have to really test that, next time I have it out. I put those air tubes in upside down it seems, I hope that doesn't have an adverse effect because I don't really want to pull it again out now.

Most impressively I was able to pull it out without making a mess and literally just enough clearance between the algae scrubber, skimmer, reactor, fan array and probes. I didn't even take the skimmer cup out. This was made even more of a challenge with the reactor I just installed, but want to see if it could be done, which it can thanks to the hinged setup.

At some point I need to take out the shelf bracket so I could install the sensor directly to it, instead of the klir. This way it'd just be the motor wire I'd need to avoid and I'll have to see how I can make that wiring easier.

eb5bed19795a95405a4eed4b4db9e3da.jpg

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for those with klir. I have my dual klir system up and running. When the water touches the sensor it only runs the motor for a couple seconds. Maybe moves roll up 2-3 inches. I guess enough to get water off sensor. Is this what it is supposed to do. I imagined it would run motor for 8-10 seconds and put basically a new "sock" all around.
Thanks

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for those with klir. I have my dual klir system up and running. When the water touches the sensor it only runs the motor for a couple seconds. Maybe moves roll up 2-3 inches. I guess enough to get water off sensor. Is this what it is supposed to do. I imagined it would run motor for 8-10 seconds and put basically a new "sock" all around.
Thanks

That's normal.

TLeTourneau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my dual klir setup on my 525xl. If all works I need to reprint in pteg and fix the wires to somewhere neat and tidy.
27d59e8331fddfb1982ab54aba964437.jpg
7a3e25ea04de9b93f3b1541bb982f485.jpg
bd77666b6d84a814fbc9c4e7692acad2.jpg
a5e31e936f0fe29c9f5d2700a5d439eb.jpg

Oh goodness, that is great!!! Can you share the design and/or STL files for that adapter or is it available on Thingiverse (with the design files)? I would really appreciate it!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 146 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back