Any tips for my emergency quarantine?

TweakyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey peeps,

So, only have myself to blame but I've gotten myself into a bit of a pickle. From what I believe, the hard part is done but now for the patience.

It had been a while since I've had my QT set up, the gear was all packed away. Anyway, the tank needed some new fish so I decided to get some. I know how silly it is, and quite frankly unfair on the fish not to quarantine before adding to the DT... But I went and did it anyway out of pure laziness and willing to take the risk. Low and behold... ich...

Fast-forward a few day until today, I've finally set up my QT, seeded over night with some rock from the DT and wrestled with all 8 fish to finally get them out. Royal grammar definitely taking the prize for most annoying! Had to rip apart the whole tank!

The QT comprises of 60L tank, heater, hanging filter with biomedia and sponge, light with an extra small pump for circulation. I also got some of those amonia charts which stick on the inside of the tank. Some pipe has been added for hiding places too.

The goal is to treat all fish with copper for two weeks, and keep the display tank fish free for 3 months to beat the parasites cycle. Well the fish stop owner was the one who suggested I keep it fish free for 3 months. Any ideas if this is recommended or a bit longer than necessary?

I will be 1/3 water changing the display tank 1-2 times per week while also adding prime daily to manage amonia.

Any further suggestions on what I'm already doing or what I can change for better result??? Cheers!

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear the bad news. The good news Ich sick fish can be treated very effectively and you have much more time that something as quick & deadly as Velvet.

Here is a suggestion. Read this. Best advice for Copper treament I've found.

https://humble.fish/copper/

Ensure you ramp up your copper to theraputic level slowly so your fish don't get adversly affected. Make sure your copper level doesn't drop below theraputic or else you will have to restart the treatment calendar.

I'm curious. Why do you need to do so many water changes to DT if you removed fish. When I let my tank go fallow after a deadly Velvet outbreak I just let it ride for 3 months on system filtration.

Wishing you the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TweakyReef

TweakyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice mate. Haha oops I meant the QT for water changes!

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice mate. Haha oops I meant the QT for water changes!
I thought so.. In that case. Remember you can't lower copper level or else you start from scratch (Day 0). Doing water changes will certainly lower your copper level (even briefly is a no-no), unless you add copper at same theraputic level into the water change water.

BTW, I am quite sure that you CAN NOT add PRIME if you have copper in QT. Find out!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Prime is not a cure all and used initially for water prep
Monitor ammonia with reliable test kit and same with copper test kit- no api brand
Therapeutic level for copper is 2.25/2.5

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey peeps,

So, only have myself to blame but I've gotten myself into a bit of a pickle. From what I believe, the hard part is done but now for the patience.

It had been a while since I've had my QT set up, the gear was all packed away. Anyway, the tank needed some new fish so I decided to get some. I know how silly it is, and quite frankly unfair on the fish not to quarantine before adding to the DT... But I went and did it anyway out of pure laziness and willing to take the risk. Low and behold... ich...

Fast-forward a few day until today, I've finally set up my QT, seeded over night with some rock from the DT and wrestled with all 8 fish to finally get them out. Royal grammar definitely taking the prize for most annoying! Had to rip apart the whole tank!

The QT comprises of 60L tank, heater, hanging filter with biomedia and sponge, light with an extra small pump for circulation. I also got some of those amonia charts which stick on the inside of the tank. Some pipe has been added for hiding places too.

The goal is to treat all fish with copper for two weeks, and keep the display tank fish free for 3 months to beat the parasites cycle. Well the fish stop owner was the one who suggested I keep it fish free for 3 months. Any ideas if this is recommended or a bit longer than necessary?

I will be 1/3 water changing the display tank 1-2 times per week while also adding prime daily to manage amonia.

Any further suggestions on what I'm already doing or what I can change for better result??? Cheers!

Which copper product are you using? From the dose you mentioned, sounds like Cupramine. For copper power or coppersafe, I run it for 30 days. Cupramine is a bit harsher, so I will run it for a shorter period, but still, 14 days beyond the date the last spots dropped off is best.

Fallow for 3 months is a bit excessive. 75 days is the typical maximum needed. In some cases, at higher temperatures, you can go 60 or even 45 days.

Jay

OP
OP
TweakyReef

TweakyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which copper product are you using?

Hey Jay, thanks for the response. I'm using an Australian made brand called Ultimate Aquacare Parasite Remover which states the contents is copper sulphate 20,000 ppm

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay, thanks for the response. I'm using an Australian made brand called Ultimate Aquacare Parasite Remover which states the contents is copper sulphate 20,000 ppm

O.K., based on that dose, this is a copper/citric acid solution. While effective, these are more toxic to fish and have to be dosed very carefully. You'll need an accurate low dose copper test and you'll need to test twice a day to check the dose.
I would take 48 hours to reach a full dose of 0.18 the range is usually 0.15 to 0.20).

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back