Any tips on storing all this???

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several more buckets in the house as well. Needless to say I found a way to really put promotions to work and got an incredible deal on salt. In the future I plan on sharing these deals when I find them so subscribe to my build thread below.

I chose buckets over boxes because I assumed they would store better. Does anyone have any long term success storing buckets of salt? Things you would have done differently? For reference I live in Central Florida.

A rough calculation is if I do water changes on time it’s going to take around 200 weeks to use all of this salt.

Link to build.

7F594B1D-59EA-4BAB-AFC1-4D79C870609D.jpeg

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Lord!
My wife would have me couch sleeping for an eternity if I bought that much salt.

I mean, if you knew what I payed she might not.

Not to get off topic but why is there a culture of submissive men on here? Mine makes her own money and doesn’t tell me how to spend the money I earn. Relationships like that do not seem healthy. Even when I deployed I handled my own money.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Florida you're going to want to keep them in a cool and relatively dry place, if your garage isn't weather sealed all the way you may have some issues when you start to get to the last few buckets, stuff like solid salt chunks and inconsistent mixing.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not to get off topic but why is there a culture of submissive men on here? Mine makes her own money and doesn’t tell me how to spend the money I earn. Relationships like that do not seem healthy. Even when I deployed I handled my own money.
It's not that they are submissive, it's just that they don't want to deal with the nagging haha, it's sometimes hard to explain this hobby and the financial conditions it causes to someone who has relatively little to no interest in it, even if that person is your wife. Thankfully I lucked out and my SO is a marine biology major :D

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m lucky too .. my girlfriend loves the tank and realizes it’s everything for the tank .. but I still get a raised eyebrow or two sometimes .. she knows I’m addicted .. !!

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not that they are submissive, it's just that they don't want to deal with the nagging haha, it's sometimes hard to explain this hobby and the financial conditions it causes to someone who has relatively little to no interest in it, even if that person is your wife. Thankfully I lucked out and my SO is a marine biology major :D

I’m lucky too .. my girlfriend loves the tank and realizes it’s everything for the tank .. but I still get a raised eyebrow or two sometimes .. she knows I’m addicted .. !!

After several tours I was critically injured. My reef serves as therapy (I never took the meds). My SO understands this and she is involved to a degree with my tanks because she understands it’s important to me. I can’t imagine getting nagged, I’d put her on couch probation.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't confuse submissive with considerate.
If you knew me, you would know that I am anything but submissive, however, I am considerate.
While we both make our own money, we felt that we should both share the burden of expenses, like our before us.:D

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that when you married someone you became a team and worked together for the betterment of both. As a member of a military unit I'm sure you understand that concept. by including their partners and not ignoring their feelings doesn't make you submissive.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that when you married someone you became a team and worked together for the betterment of both. As a member of a military unit I'm sure you understand that concept. by including their partners and not ignoring their feelings doesn't make you submissive.

You’re submissive when you’re worried about what your spouse is going to do to you. When they control your disposable income. Yes, you’re a team. Your wife is not your boss. If you look at a lot of these comments on the forum (I realize some are joking) it’s always “my wife let me” or “she’s going to kill me when she finds out.” Even when these guys are joking it pushes a sense of stigma. It’s hard to read and reminds me of “happy wife, happy life” like their needs somehow come before yours.

Sorry if I hurt some feelings ;)

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re submissive when you’re worried about what your spouse is going to do to you. When they control your disposable income. Yes, you’re a team. Your wife is not your boss. If you look at a lot of these comments on the forum (I realize some are joking) it’s always “my wife let me” or “she’s going to kill me when she finds out.” Even when these guys are joking it pushes a sense of stigma. It’s hard to read and reminds me of “happy wife, happy life” like their needs somehow come before yours.

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No hurt feelings. However as a man I can assure that I and many others will always put their wives first and themselves second. Just the way we were raised. But if it works for you then keep up the good work and more power to you

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To the main question as long as it’s in a place of lower humidity and no large temp swings it should be ok. My salt isn’t packed as well for I have boxes and I store them in the basement in a corner room. I keep 10-20 box minimum in there and it’s never been clumpy or anything.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP has a perfectly valid point. And not to steer too far from topic (not really detailing since it was the OP that first mentioned this concept), there are just different kinds of people in the world. Some dudes are very hard headed, alpha-at-all-costs mentality and will happily be single and alone if they’re not in a relationship where their girlfriend of wife clearly resides below their boot. That’s just how it is. I have friends with kids who in 5 years have never changed a single diaper, woke up at night, made a bottle, cooked a meal, or cleaned a single mess. They basically live like bachelors and the kids amuse them when they see fit, and the wife wouldn’t DREAM of questioning their leisure time decision or ask them to lift a finger ever. These women actually get anxiety and depression at the thought of confronting their spouse over the lack of help.

Then there are men that seem to desire a relationship where they have an alpha female wife and are unhappy genuinely if they’re not being put down constantly.

There are varying degrees in between. Everyone is different. I also see the point of view of avoiding an argument over something like salt.

I’d love a tank upgrade. I’d love to go spend 5-10 thousand bucks and get myself a nice 240 gallon with some radions and a pallet of salt too. My wife would be livid if I did. Rightfully so. Would I sit idly by while she went out and spent $10,000 on camera equipment for a hobby she dabbles in but has no desire to make money off of? You better believe I wouldn’t. We are a team and when your team mate makes a bonehead financial decision that can negatively impact the family as a whole, you call them on it. That is money that could go toward kids college savings, or a new home, or smart investments. But...I digress. Everyone’s budget is different.

Point is, just because someone doesn’t go out and buy whatever they want for the simple reason of avoiding the negative backlash of their spouse doesn’t make them submissive or a beta male. It makes them a decent person who has the ability to compromise and not blow their money on their every whim.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A submissive is 1 who conforms to the authority or will of others. An example would be a lower ranking soldier who takes orders from a higher ranking officer.

As has been said, some couples choose to talk and compromise on their wants vs their needs.
My wife and I enjoy rishing/boating and RVing with a close third being reefing. While we also enjoy other hobbies apart from our common ones.

That said, we always talk about what we would like to get and what we need to get.
Do we spend $ on our hobbies without asking the other? Absolutely.
But we enjoy each others company and input regarding such matters. Not because we are meek or afraid of confrontation ( hardly the case) but because we can get further as a team rather than singularly. Like a bicycle as opposed to a unicycle.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No hurt feelings. However as a man I can assure that I and many others will always put their wives first and themselves second. Just the way we were raised. But if it works for you then keep up the good work and more power to you

OP has a perfectly valid point. And not to steer too far from topic (not really detailing since it was the OP that first mentioned this concept), there are just different kinds of people in the world. Some dudes are very hard headed, alpha-at-all-costs mentality and will happily be single and alone if they’re not in a relationship where their girlfriend of wife clearly resides below their boot. That’s just how it is. I have friends with kids who in 5 years have never changed a single diaper, woke up at night, made a bottle, cooked a meal, or cleaned a single mess. They basically live like bachelors and the kids amuse them when they see fit, and the wife wouldn’t DREAM of questioning their leisure time decision or ask them to lift a finger ever. These women actually get anxiety and depression at the thought of confronting their spouse over the lack of help.

Then there are men that seem to desire a relationship where they have an alpha female wife and are unhappy genuinely if they’re not being put down constantly.

There are varying degrees in between. Everyone is different. I also see the point of view of avoiding an argument over something like salt.

I’d love a tank upgrade. I’d love to go spend 5-10 thousand bucks and get myself a nice 240 gallon with some radions and a pallet of salt too. My wife would be livid if I did. Rightfully so. Would I sit idly by while she went out and spent $10,000 on camera equipment for a hobby she dabbles in but has no desire to make money off of? You better believe I wouldn’t. We are a team and when your team mate makes a bonehead financial decision that can negatively impact the family as a whole, you call them on it. That is money that could go toward kids college savings, or a new home, or smart investments. But...I digress. Everyone’s budget is different.

Point is, just because someone doesn’t go out and buy whatever they want for the simple reason of avoiding the negative backlash of their spouse doesn’t make them submissive or a beta male. It makes them a decent person who has the ability to compromise and not blow their money on their every whim.

Just because I’m not submissive to my wife does not mean she’s submissive to me. We’re in a healthy relationship where no ones above the other. I wouldn’t tell her how to spend her money and she wouldn’t tell me how to spend mine. Everytime I hear about the feminist culture where men are submissive to their wife I cringe.

I don’t know where the confusion is. Man up, no one should be in a relationship like that. We split the chores, we both pay bills, we both raise the kids. That’s what a healthy relationship should be.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there’s any confusion. I think there’s gray area in reality on a subject you’re seeing as closer to black and white

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I hear about the feminist culture where men are submissive to their wife I cringe.

I don’t know where the confusion is. Man up, no one should be in a relationship like that. We split the chores, we both pay bills, we both raise the kids. That’s what a healthy relationship should be.

Your description of a healthy relationship, is more in line with feminism than your statement about "feminist culture"

feminism

1: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes

I don't see anything about submission in the definition.

Just sayin'

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back