Anybody have madracis?

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look like something that you can buy online which probably means it’s not legal to harvest.

I have a large Mancini Aerolata that came in as a hitchhiker. I like it but was thinking about selling it (it’s illegal to harvest I believe) and can’t find what the rules are about that so I’m going to tag along here.

OP
OP
encrustingacro

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look like something that you can buy online which probably means it’s not legal to harvest.

I have a large Mancini Aerolata that came in as a hitchhiker. I like it but was thinking about selling it (it’s illegal to harvest I believe) and can’t find what the rules are about that so I’m going to tag along here.
I just read up a bit on it and it says it is found in the Caribbean so I guess you can't harvest it, although I think I saw a reef builders article saying WWC has a colony of it

EpipelagicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read up a bit on it and it says it is found in the Caribbean so I guess you can't harvest it, although I think I saw a reef builders article saying WWC has a colony of it
A bit of a necro post, but I do have a "rainbow" Madracis in my collection. Any questions you'd like answered? They're kinda odd balls and quite rare from what I can tell.

OP
OP
encrustingacro

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of a necro post, but I do have a "rainbow" Madracis in my collection. Any questions you'd like answered? They're kinda odd balls and quite rare from what I can tell.
I did a bit more research and found out that Madracis can also be found in the pacific so we can get them, and that they are sometimes NPS. Is your madracis NPS? Also, can you post a picture of your madracis so I can see it please?

EpipelagicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a bit more research and found out that Madracis can also be found in the pacific so we can get them, and that they are sometimes NPS. Is your madracis NPS? Also, can you post a picture of your madracis so I can see it please?
This is my current Madracis, I have another two arriving next week that I'm pretty excited about although they're no where near as interesting as this one. As far as it being NPS, sort of, it clearly doesn't derive too much energy from light as it is in ~60 PAR and doesn't mind being completely shaded, however I feed the tank it's in very heavily with PNS YelloSno, AB+, homebrewed phyto, and various sizes of ReefBlizzard. I've found it to be similar in care to various micro Goniopora/Bernardpora which also seem to prefer lower light and heavy feedings.

Attachments

• DSC_0063-01-1-1.jpg
    DSC_0063-01-1-1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 31

EpipelagicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the double post, but I found a picture of when I first got it, you can see how dramatically it color morphed over the course of just three months. It was kept at ~200 PAR by the seller and, as you can see, seems dramatically happier in a lower light and higher food (but low nutrient) environment.

Ultimately my plan for this coral is to grow it out somewhat, create some smaller frags, distribute those over my tanks, observe any changes, and then begin to distribute these for just the cost of shipping (though I want to prevent reselling for profit somehow). It's one of those corals that can catch your eye from across a room and I think everyone should have access to it without paying $800 which is apparently what the last one of these went for...

Attachments

• DSC_02972 (1)-01.jpeg
    DSC_02972 (1)-01.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 25

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back