Anyone dose hydrogen peroxide daily?

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've been doing it for awhile at the 1 mL per 10 gallons level for dinos. i haven't noticed anything bad really, i did lose a blasto and a torch, but my tank has been unhappy for a couple months now. shrimp wise they're fine (1 peppermint 1 fire shrimp) and inverts i haven't noticed any losses.

i want to say my chaeto has actually grown better lately? that's a hard one to quantify, though.

film on the glass seems a lot less, i've only had to clean the glass a couple times in the last couple weeks. didn't really have much hair algae or anything of that sort before.

oh and it hasn't been mentioned much but apparently h2o2 breaks down quickly due to flow and light. i haven't turned flow off, but i do dose it at night so at least the light isn't breaking it down quicker.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and it hasn't been mentioned much but apparently h2o2 breaks down quickly due to flow and light. i haven't turned flow off, but i do dose it at night so at least the light isn't breaking it down quicker.
Yes peroxide is broken down by light, hence why it always comes in brown or black bottles.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem here is peroxide is that it reacts to the water fast then it’s over. Dosing would have to be a lot and often. I have used it to kill algae but this was spot dosing with a syringe.
Hence why I have always used an Oxydator to administer peroxide continuously and safely like many others are now finding tbe benefits of and others for over 30 years.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anybody interested in Oxydators how they work and their benefits, I have a Facebook group dedicated to them called Oxydator user group.
s-chting-oxydator-w-noiseless-aquarium-alternative-air-pump-shrimpoly-1807-01-shrimpoly@2.jpg

I use one of these! Highly recommend them.

T Carey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hence why I have always used an Oxydator to administer peroxide continuously and safely like many others are now finding tbe benefits of and others for over 30 years.
If I understand what an Oxydator does, it doesn't administer peroxide to the tank. It breaks down the H2O2 and liberates O2 into the tank. That is a different thing than pouring H2O2 directly into the tank where the H2O2 can react with stuff in the tank and water column.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand what an Oxydator does, it doesn't administer peroxide to the tank. It breaks down the H2O2 and liberates O2 into the tank. That is a different thing than pouring H2O2 directly into the tank where the H2O2 can react with stuff in the tank and water column.
Not quite.
Depending on strength of peroxide and number of catalysts used a % of the peroxide does indeed enter the water as confirmed to me by the company.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 percent solution ?

No, I mixed the 3% H2O2 solution 50/50 with fresh saltwater for most my LPS dips. But, I did do a couple dips of straight 3% H2O2 with an acan and paly for approx 2 min max and it worked well. The coral gets a little ticked off for a few days, but it really cleans up the frags nicely of any unwanted algaes.

I just did a 50/50 dip on an SPS Setosa due to spots of gha that I couldn't stop from popping up on the coral in spots….big no-no!!! Darn tissue started melting off next day!! I'm still hoping it recovers, but it is looking rough right now!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no 100% H2O2. Just use the 3% stuff you can get at any drug store.
I believe the poster meant whether I dipped the coral in straight (100%) hydrogen peroxide vs whether I dipped it in a mixture of H2O2/Saltwater (ie: 50% H2O2, 50% Saltwater). I don't believe they were meaning the concentration of the H2O2 solution.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of threads on how to dip with h202. This one is about dosing.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been thinking about trying this at some point...but I need to read more first.

twistedfinn967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To anyone looking for stronger than 3% h2o2 - Stay away from Blubonic Industries. They come up in google searches and sell on Amazon. I placed an order for a gallon of 35% 11 days ago and have received nothing. They don't answer phone or email. Had to open a claim with paypal.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a US source? Actually we were talking about these today too. I want to try it.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Harrr right, well why didn't you day lol.
Yes there is I believe. There is a Facebook group called Oxydator user group that lists the name of FLSs in each country stocking Oxydators.
Thank you. Do they come with the catalyst? What peroxide do you suggest?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Now that rant / off my own personal take is I wouldn’t dose it daily, I’ve seen targets build up resistance to it in my own system where it took 35% to really do any good after years of 3% trial. My own take is that keeping a system free or low in detritus and waste catchpoints better regulates target expression like green glass haze or GHA anchored into rocks and peroxide is still my favorite go-to when a noncompliant rock is lifted out, attacked with a rasping knife, and then peroxide is put on the formerly invaded spot which had already been rasped algae-free with a knife tip. It’s a powerful cellular burner for leftover targets / small mass targets

Tank dosing to the water is so 2016 lol but as we can see it’s not a big deal, experiment anyway y’all like and pretty much everything we keep except for lysmata shrimp will tolerate

From your collective posts patterns will emerge that shape certain aspects of the hobby.
I dose daily but at very LOW concentration

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Do they come with the catalyst? What peroxide do you suggest?
Yes depending on the model they come with 1,2 or 3 catalysts. The strength of peroxide to use depends on a number of factors such has size of aquarium in gallons how many fish and how often you feed. However, many people by the strongest/% of peroxide and dilute it to your required strength. If you join the Facebook group they will help you with which Oxydator would be best for you tank and how to get the best out of it for your particular setup.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back