Anyone else done with mp40s

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This or volcano insurance... Go on...
Well you (the user) has created a problem now that we (the inocient manufacturer) are now forced to solve. You wanted so many spin spinnies variants that instead of giving you a simple dial indicator to select the spinny modes... we are going give you rainbow colors. Yep one rainbow color for each of the 16 spinny spinny spin cycle modes. R-O-Y-G-B-I-V yep that will work perfect. And also cost an additional $50. Remember this is your fault for demanding so many ever so slightly different spiny spin cycles. That will be $300 are you in?

Last edited:

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so-close.gif

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that all of this product development has a significant upfront cost right? Like we pay people a LOT of money to engineer this into the cheapest thing physically possible... so that we can then sub the moldings our overseas and loose our quality control but increase our margins. All of that means we tell you upgrade and that means additional NOI. Are you sure? Because we would love to sell you less (as in physically less weight) for more of your money.

Last edited:

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased my first MP40 thinking it's my first "nice" wavemaker. Oof this is an awkward thread to stumble upon....fingers crossed mines doesn't fail early

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased my first MP40 thinking it's my first "nice" wavemaker. Oof this is an awkward thread to stumble upon....fingers crossed mines doesn't fail early
Oh it's not that bad. Seriously. Alot of this is just good fun. Everything has it's strengths and weaknesses. Please dont get discouraged. They are cough good cough pumps.... there. I said it.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it's not that bad. Seriously. Alot of this is just good fun. Everything has it's strengths and weaknesses. Please dont get discouraged. They are cough good cough pumps.... there. I said it.
That obviously got caught in your throat, lol.

mikereefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah absolutely. I've started my journey in the hobby with a bunch of jebaos (3 years and still running), then tunze, maxspect gyres, and now mp40's (my most expensive singular pump). I definitely understand a lot of the sentiment here given that my cheap pumps are still my longest lasting ones. Hopefully my new mp40 lasts and I won't have to contribute to this thread

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahah absolutely. I've started my journey in the hobby with a bunch of jebaos (3 years and still running), then tunze, maxspect gyres, and now mp40's (my most expensive singular pump). I definitely understand a lot of the sentiment here given that my cheap pumps are still my longest lasting ones. Hopefully my new mp40 lasts and I won't have to contribute to this thread
Good or bad. Please do share. I do wish you the best. Perhaps start a build thread. It's OK if you are already up and running. You can still share. Stick around it is lots of fun.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a used MP10QD a while back for $185, initially I was quite annoyed by how loud it was (especially for being called quiet drive) and by the fact that I had to mount it such that the dry side was actually dry.

I've been using it the last 6 months and it's been OK. The noise isn't great even at night at 20% constant speed because the tank is in my bedroom, but I slept fine. I saw this thread and dug out my old Jebao PP4. I was able to put it on the back wall thereby making the side view unobstructed, and it is WAY quieter. Can't believe I put up with the noise this long. Even at nearly full power the Jebao is quieter than my MP10 at 25% and by eye appears about as powerful.

Sometimes things that are expensive are worse.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a used MP10QD a while back for $185, initially I was quite annoyed by how loud it was (especially for being called quiet drive) and by the fact that I had to mount it such that the dry side was actually dry.

I've been using it the last 6 months and it's been OK. The noise isn't great even at night at 20% constant speed because the tank is in my bedroom, but I slept fine. I saw this thread and dug out my old Jebao PP4. I was able to put it on the back wall thereby making the side view unobstructed, and it is WAY quieter. Can't believe I put up with the noise this long. Even at nearly full power the Jebao is quieter than my MP10 at 25% and by eye appears about as powerful.

Sometimes things that are expensive are worse.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an MP10 that has been running for 10 years and a MP40 that is going on 8. I did replace the MP10 wet side a year ago. Never had to replace the wet side on the 40. I wonder what is different about how you are running them, or maybe a bad batch. Seems like they would be good about covering the issue, if you are having to replace them so often. Personally, I'd drop the cash on these again in a heartbeat. After my Tunzes, they are by far my most reliable pumps in my setup and I have tried every style and brand.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my Tunzes, they are by far my most reliable pumps in my setup and I have tried every style and brand.
I can not find any fault with this statement. It may even be the 11th or 12th commandment (if you are into those).

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my experience.

I have two MP40s and one had a bad dry side out of the box. The wet sides aren’t as quiet as I would have liked unless you run them at a low speed. The MP40’s narrow flow made placement difficult for an LPS dominated tank. On the upside, the controllability and software is amazing. We added a Maxspect gyre xf350 for the wide flow pattern without directly blasting corals. The pump moves a TON of water even at its lowest setting. The downside to the xf350 is that the controller’s functionality is less than desirable. Specifically, it’s minimum of 10% increments in speed. Combing the three has given us the balance of direct and indirect flow that we were looking for in our 75 gallon tank.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my experience.

I have two MP40s and one had a bad dry side out of the box. The wet sides aren’t as quiet as I would have liked unless you run them at a low speed. The MP40’s narrow flow made placement difficult for an LPS dominated tank. On the upside, the controllability and software is amazing. We added a Maxspect gyre xf350 for the wide flow pattern without directly blasting corals. The pump moves a TON of water even at its lowest setting. The downside to the xf350 is that the controller’s functionality is less than desirable. Specifically, it’s minimum of 10% increments in speed. Combing the three has given us the balance of direct and indirect flow that we were looking for in our 75 gallon tank.
@teach204 your post is as balanced as your flow.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to put my ear against the tank to hear mine.
No way would I consider them loud. I'm not running them low either.

calimako

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’m not frustrated with the hobby one bit I’m 16 years in and haven’t lost anything fish or coral wise in years. Just wetsides lol
Have you tried contacting their customer support? I have 6 mp40qds and love them. like you, i never had issues with dry side. the wetside are not perfect and from time to time there are issues. When they arise such as swelling magnets, grinding shafts, broken clips i open a claim with ecotech and send pics. I have to mail the defective piece to them but every time they have replaced the wetside at no additional charge. maybe I am just lucky, but I have found their customer service to be great. I have never had to "buy" additional wetsides to replace a defective ones by doing this. it is a pain, but for me, it doesn't happen as often for me to quit using them. hope this helps

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure what’s meant by the shaft being stiff. The shaft isn’t meant to move. The magnet/propeller moves around the shaft.
I’m not sure what you actually mean but either way, have you tried lubricating it?

If that’s your only issue with the wetside, maybe that will help. I’m not sure it’s necessary but after a clean I do add a patch of lubricant myself just because why not
nawazuddin siddiqui lol GIF

There's a joke somewhere in there. (if not two)

Back