Anyone enjoy woodworking?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love woodworking. I love too many things. This 8' shelf is a slice from a 100 year old tree. It has no visible supports. I built 3 kitchens and 3 bathrooms in my house as well as much of the furniture and raised the dormer and finished the basement.

I used to do a lot of dovetailing but rarely do any of it any more so I want to sell this table belt sander with the table for practically free as I have another one if anyone wants it. I need the room.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're into reclaimed paper boxes too? Love it.

Edit: This was directed at kschweer, not Paul...lol.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're into reclaimed paper boxes too? Love it.
Haha. I have a ton of them from the move. Going to let them age in the basement and then make a killing selling them. Haha

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely enjoy woodworking!
Enough so that it's also my day job.

I've been a woodworker for over the past 20 years; building trade show exhibits and residental cabinets for new homes and remodels.
If we need anything for our home, I choose to design and built it myself; anything from furniture pieces, built-in cabinets, shelves, mantles, desks, display cabinets, lighting fixtures, picture frames, outdoor items and aquarium stands.
At my place of work, there's two of us in the shop. I've been the primary builder for the last twelve years and have access to the shop's tools and facilities whenever I need them. I'm also trained for designing and running the CNC Router which I use for many of my wood and plastic projects.

Here's a selection of what I've done.

Aquarium Stand and Canopy for a client that matches my own stand.

A bar for my aunt and uncle's basement.

My office at home.

A casket made from Plyboo and Hickory.

Painted Artwork and Frame I built based on FLW Studio Art Glass.

A while back I used to make Horse Racing Games; and some custom variations.

A bungalow themed cedar bird feeder with mahogany and copper accents.

I could go on and on, but this is enough.

I could spend every hour of every day in a wood shop if life didn't get in the way.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying a finish to look like aged barn wood on it. Never done it before but I like the look and it was easy to do. I figure if I don't like it I can just paint over it. It will darken as it dries.
-Kevin

When I've built projects with reclaimed barn lumber (even new wood), I found a couple of quick solutions to getting the darker finish with a combination of stains.
1. If you're just needing to darken fresh cuts, use a "Natural" stain to fill the wide open pours and then dab the lighter wood with "Ebony" stain until you get a color match.
2. Make a custom color by starting out with a "Natural" stain and add the "Ebony" stain until you get the desired grey color.

I've tried using oxidizing agents and antiquing finishes before, but they cost a lot more for the same effect. I think they just charge more money for the fancier language on the cans/bottles.

I used the combination stain to age the fresh cuts on the reclaimed barn wood on this racing game box.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely enjoy woodworking!
Enough so that it's also my day job.

I've been a woodworker for over the past 20 years; building trade show exhibits and residental cabinets for new homes and remodels.
If we need anything for our home, I choose to design and built it myself; anything from furniture pieces, built-in cabinets, shelves, mantles, desks, display cabinets, lighting fixtures, picture frames, outdoor items and aquarium stands.
At my place of work, there's two of us in the shop. I've been the primary builder for the last twelve years and have access to the shop's tools and facilities whenever I need them. I'm also trained for designing and running the CNC Router which I use for many of my wood and plastic projects.

Here's a selection of what I've done.

Aquarium Stand and Canopy for a client that matches my own stand.

A bar for my aunt and uncle's basement.

My office at home.

A casket made from Plyboo and Hickory.

Painted Artwork and Frame I built based on FLW Studio Art Glass.

A while back I used to make Horse Racing Games; and some custom variations.

A bungalow themed cedar bird feeder with mahogany and copper accents.

I could go on and on, but this is enough.

I could spend every hour of every day in a wood shop if life didn't get in the way.
Wow man! Absolutely amazing work. Thanks for the tips on the finish. Here's a picture of the shelf today after drying. Going to try another coat and see what it looks like.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Josh Bayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actualy just finished a shaving rack, to hold all my wetshaving stuff. I build outdoor tables chairs, I am currently looking for some exotic hardwood sheets but is proving difficult for my next stand build, and I am not good at laying veneer so that's out. Anybody have a good exotic wood source?

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newest project. It will be mounted on the wall under my new tv to hold the cable box and a few other things.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
I'll try to post some pictures when it's mounted. Going to do that now.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to need to run the cable wire into the wall from the crawl space. It's going to drive me crazy seeing it.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
mad skills!!!

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to need to run the cable wire into the wall from the crawl space. It's going to drive me crazy seeing it.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Looks great. Hiding the cables is sometimes the hardest part!

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you know you're in trouble whenever it starts with "Daddy", regardless of the fact that your daughter is 23 years old! So here's what happens when you hear..."Daddy, I would really like something to hang some blankets on." So I made this for her today.

While I had the tools out, I also made the new Christmas sign out of pallet wood. And lastly, made a custom frame for an old tablet that is going to be hung next to DT to manage soon to be installed Apex. Ignore the finish as it needs another coat or two.

Fun day in the garage playing with dead trees!!!!

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love woodworking. I have just about every piece of equipment I could want except a planer (I hope to get one in the next year or so). The problem I have these days is that I never seem to have the time to get out into the shop and build stuff. I really need to remedy that. I also really need to start taking pictures of my projects, as I seem to make stuff or everybody else and don't have anything to show for my work. I plan to build a new stand and canopy for a 33 long mixed reef build I am starting later this winter. I'll have to post pics when its completed.
Scott

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a woodworker, but mostly enjoy turning. Bowls and turned boxes are what I enjoy. Starting to turn pens. I like making as well. Simple boxes with interesting grain patterns and such. Now that I have a larger garage as a shop, I'm planning to make more furniture.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back