Anyone have experience with FixICK ?

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has been dosing FixICK lately and he stated that he has seen pretty impressive results. I just bought a powder blue and powder brown that had outward signs of ich two days prior to the fixick treatment and I have had them in my QT for 3 days and haven't seen anything.

I am going to dose the fixick myself tomorrow.

It may prove to be a good alternative to copper or CP in terms of treating Cryptocaryon. That is the focus of this thread.. if you don't believe in treating for ich, or you believe that this is some "snake oil" in a bottle or that ich is everywhere.. That is fine with me. But please, out of respect, I would like to start a serious discussion about the effectiveness of this treatment.

Go post drama in the Vibrant discussion...if you feel compelled to offer uninformed opinions.

Thank you.

@Jay Hemdal I moved the thread here but would really like to find out what you think.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has been dosing FixICK lately and he stated that he has seen pretty impressive results. I just bought a powder blue and powder brown that had outward signs of ich two days prior to the fixick treatment and I have had them in my QT for 3 days and haven't seen anything.

I am going to dose the fixick myself tomorrow.

It may prove to be a good alternative to copper or CP in terms of treating Cryptocaryon. That is the focus of this thread.. if you don't believe in treating for ich, or you believe that this is some "snake oil" in a bottle or that ich is everywhere.. That is fine with me. But please, out of respect, I would like to start a serious discussion about the effectiveness of this treatment.

Go post drama in the Vibrant discussion...if you feel compelled to offer uninformed opinions.

Thank you.

@Jay Hemdal I moved the thread here but would really like to find out what you think.

So - I should have said from the outset that I've never used this product. I found my copy of Nelson Herwig's 1975 Fish Disease book. He does list Gentian Violet, using a reference from 1974, so it's been around for awhile. He lists it as being effective against saprolegnia and costia (both FW diseases) as well as flukes. The dose he gives is 0.3 ppm. his remarks are as follows: "May be toxic to weak fish; also toxic to many species of fish; use with extreme caution; not particularly effective." That said I don't know what concentration the Fritz product is compared to 0.3 ppm. Also, I think I saw you mention that fixick has other ingredients. Let me know how it works out!

Jay

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Jay. They have three ingredients listed, I will get the third when I get home. I tried looking at the MSDS but no ingredients are listed.

I have identified cryptocaryon under a microscope before, but this was when they had outward signs of the cysts. Are you aware of any method to identify the infection other than scrapings?

I am under the belief that most of the time the infection is within the gills and thus hard to identify. Which is also why some people think it magically reappears in their tanks.

Hey Jeff... I know you are lurking.. The fish are happy and healthy but that powder brown is one mean cuss. That's ok though.. one day in the near future he is going to meet "king sohal".

This is what other fish see when they meet my 10" sohal tang for the first time.....

Drago.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Jay. They have three ingredients listed, I will get the third when I get home. I tried looking at the MSDS but no ingredients are listed.

I have identified cryptocaryon under a microscope before, but this was when they had outward signs of the cysts. Are you aware of any method to identify the infection other than scrapings?

I am under the belief that most of the time the infection is within the gills and thus hard to identify. Which is also why some people think it magically reappears in their tanks.

Hey Jeff... I know you are lurking.. The fish are happy and healthy but that powder brown is one mean cuss. That's ok though.. one day in the near future he is going to meet "king sohal".

This is what other fish see when they meet my 10" sohal tang for the first time.....

Drago.jpg
Skin scrapes and a microscope are the only 100% sure way to ID Crypt, but once you've seen enough of it, on many different species, you can visually ID it fairly accurately. The only time I get thrown is when the case is really severe, and you can't see the individual trophonts, they all coalesce together....I've mistakenly ID'd that as bacteria infection a few times. I've heard the "hiding in the gills" idea before. I think most cases of reappearance is it going unnoticed on the fish's skin *or* gills, or the timing is still within that 70-80 day time frame. Sometimes I've been able to "predict" an outbreak based on the fish's behavior; just a little lethargy, clamped fins, a shimmy now and again - then two days later, you see spots.

Jay

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That other thread was so entertaining!

After seeing your username...I just had the same convo with the same LFS. Definitely a cool thing if we could cut QT from 30 days to less than a week. That's a game changer for me, at least.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the potential is there. And I am going to be testing the effectiveness of that assumption at least, to the extent that I can. I have never heard of any product that can affect the encysted forms of ich, perhaps this does? Most products only target the mobile stage that actually infects the fish.

It should be stated that the listed times for trophonts.. the stage that is attached to the fish is most commonly listed as 3-9 days. So I am going to do a scraping tonight and see what I can see. Then dose the product.

Party at my house!! Fish scraping, microscope time, I may even get crazy and turn the RODI on!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think if there is any ich present you will be able to find them on a scraping?

Thanks for the info!
Oh sorry, - I misunderstood your question - skin scrapes are NOT good for identifying Crypt during early stages, you would have to scrape too much of the fish in order to get a good sample. The only benefit in scrapes is to positively confirm a visual diagnosis and *maybe* catching a glimpse of some trophonts (or even tomites) that are yet too small to be seen with the unaided eye.

Jay

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Active ingredients are:
D-limonene - which is a citrus fruit extract
Gentian violet - general disenfectant/ anti microbial
Capsaicin - pain killer, active ingrediant in chilli peppers

Hmmmm?

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - I should have said from the outset that I've never used this product. I found my copy of Nelson Herwig's 1975 Fish Disease book. He does list Gentian Violet, using a reference from 1974, so it's been around for awhile. He lists it as being effective against saprolegnia and costia (both FW diseases) as well as flukes. The dose he gives is 0.3 ppm. his remarks are as follows: "May be toxic to weak fish; also toxic to many species of fish; use with extreme caution; not particularly effective." That said I don't know what concentration the Fritz product is compared to 0.3 ppm. Also, I think I saw you mention that fixick has other ingredients. Let me know how it works out!

Jay

Fwiw,
Gentian Violet was the original stain used by Hans Gram in 1884 to test bacteria, known to us as being either Gram positive or negative, so has been around awhile-

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of capsaicin and limonene being used in water like that, so I can’t offer any opinion.

Jay

ichthyoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of capsaicin and limonene being used in water like that, so I can’t offer any opinion.

Jay

One should not feel encumbered to not offer any opinions due to a lack of knowledge. Its 2020. The year of the dumpster fire..

Last edited:
OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you perhaps explain the phrase " Protein prenylation in eukarytic cells" First I thought oh.. it is some kind of lipid productiin inhibitor but that phrase makes me think that only some organisms have this prenylation and that is why it targets them?

I got an A in anatomy physiology but a C in O chem. That was over 20 years ago though. Its kind of funny, i remember a video about photosytheis in 3rd grade. It was a cartoon and the charecters hid behind a curtain because at the time they didn't know how exactly the process worked. Lol

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Active ingredients are:
D-limonene - which is a citrus fruit extract
Gentian violet - general disenfectant/ anti microbial
Capsaicin - pain killer, active ingrediant in chilli peppers

Hmmmm?
Haven’t used this product but Two Little Fishes Revive coral dip has “citrus limon” in it. Which is basically lemon. Not sure if they’re using an extract like D-limonene. The bottle says it contains 0.5% but it has a very strong lemony scent so I’d assume it’s some sort of extract. I dip everything that goes in my tank and haven’t encountered ich yet. Fingers crossed. Oldest fish are almost 2 years old and I didn’t QT them. Is lemon the secret cure?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back