Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm still doing a softy tank, even after being in the hobby for 35 years.
I love it when people say it's entry level reef keeping. Like somehow after a set number of years you have to, what they say, is to move up to harder corals.
I did a full on sps tank back in the 90's and it was boring and blah.
These days I do mix in a little lps, but my focus is various leathers and mushrooms.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still doing a softy tank, even after being in the hobby for 35 years.
I love it when people say it's entry level reef keeping. Like somehow after a set number of years you have to, what they say, is to move up to harder corals.
I did a full on sps tank back in the 90's and it was boring and blah.
These days I do mix in a little lps, but my focus is various leathers and mushrooms.
Can you post a picture to share with us! Please!! Thank you would Lov to see!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for people who primarily keep softies. After the 10 year tank video from BRS, there is a trend of looking for mentors around here.

I am looking for tanks that keep mostly softies so I can learn from them and grow as a hobbiest.

I am running a IM Nuvo 30l. Its been set up 2 weeks with corals now, transferred from my last setup.

newfts.jpg

whitenems.jpg

topdowntoadstool.jpg

nems.jpg

newtopdown.jpg
Your tank is so pretty... do you have any specific things you were looking to learn. I’m not one who has much advice as I have a brown thumb in and out of the water. But I’m sure some of these others with softie tanks would have some information for you and I’d like to learn from your questions as well.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReeferReefer

Aside from showing off your gorgeous tank, why are you looking for a mentor? You seem to know quite a lot about reefing already.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2...m-on-top-with-30g-ecosystem-mud-macro.421526/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wet-salty-for-christmas-2017.428100/

I have been in the hobby since the “Stone Age “ but no stony corals for me.

@Paul B and I both started tanks in 1970 after returning from Vietnam.

I just did hire a 15 year old apprentice after both tanks in above linked threads crashed while I was on extended vacation in May.

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReeferReefer

Aside from showing off your gorgeous tank, why are you looking for a mentor? You seem to know quite a lot about reefing already.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2...m-on-top-with-30g-ecosystem-mud-macro.421526/

I just did hire a 15 year old apprentice after both tanks in above linked threads crashed while I was on extended vacation in May.
Crap crap how bad

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Crap crap how bad

This bad.

In the past week two chemi clean treatments were done. All rock was individually removed and treated with 10 fold dose of flatworm exit or a 10 minute bath in 10% peroxide. Rock was put into two differrent tanks, 55G & 150G. Both tanks are connected to common 150G sump, buried in ground under Oak tree.

Last edited:

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReeferReefer

I just did hire a 15 year old apprentice after both tanks in above linked threads crashed while I was on extended vacation in May.[/QUOTE

I follow @Paul B a lot. I struggled with all the chemical this and that, and dosing scares me. Then I found Paul. It was awesome to find someone with a very different method. I will have to check out your set up @Subsea

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

This bad.
In the past week two chemi clean treatments were done. All rock was individually removed and treated with 10 fold dose of flatworm exit or a 10 minute bath in 10% peroxide. Rock was put into two differrent tanks, 55G & 150G. Both tanks are connected to common 150G sump, buried in ground under Oak tree.
You know those flat worms drink that stuff for breakfast.
Tank looks a bit un-level to me.
I like the stars on the glass posing for the last tank shot.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReeferReefer

I would consider myself an intermediate reefer. I have been reefing for 8 years but it's mostly persistence, not skill. After killing dozens of hard corals, having a tank wipe out due to velvet and constant algae problems in my 90, I decided to downgrade to the 30L or leave the hobby.

I'm looking for someone to learn from to ensure I can stay in this wonderful hobby for the rest of my life.

The corals you see in my tank are just the corals that have done well in my system. For every coral you see, there are 3 dead corals that I tried keep.

Here is an example of some of my problems. My Green Sinularia is having tissue necrosis and I have no idea why. I've tried increasing flow and blowing off the dead bits with a turkey baster. Won't open up at all. Used to be 3x the size with amazing extension.
7dc2b2269742eee54bacecf67d42025e.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Persistence is a Virtue

Niels Bohr said, “An expert is someone who has made all the mistake there are to make in a narrow field”

@ReeferReefer
With that definition, I might be an expert. I suspect that most hobbiest kill much more than what survives. You are up front honest and that makes you a winner and teachable.

I have had good success with Green Sinularia but it is more sensitive than most softies.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

This bad.

You know there's shady tree mechanics. This looks like a shady tree reefer to me. Under an Oak tree..... Come on. Heeeeee

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back