RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2725AB13-84C1-4911-AA50-7A03E3A679A8.jpeg
EBB08601-4C9E-4FF8-806C-9783FB0C71B6.jpeg

2 mostly softie tanks... 6’x5’ 500g and 5’x 30” 200g
Wow what awesome tanks!!! Thanks for sharing. Any secrets to keeping them stable?

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a straight softy tank but changed to mixed reef now. Here was the tank before I made changes. Things were a lot easier then!!!

20171228_163649.jpg

This is unreal. Pretty much the exact thing I am trying to do with my tank but on a smaller scale. I am trying to get a giant BTA ball on one side of the tank like that.

I am shooting for easy and stable.

Mark Teitelman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a regular mixed reef, have a Kessil 800 that is the main light source...tank is in a cool spot that gets perfect light for about 2 hours every morning...it's the best time of the day to watch the environment in there. As for the gorgonians, I feed live phytoplankton every other day, along with broadcast feedings of Benereef and raw frozen food cubes. They seem to do very well on that combo.

Bfoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider myself an intermediate reefer. I have been reefing for 8 years but it's mostly persistence, not skill. After killing dozens of hard corals, having a tank wipe out due to velvet and constant algae problems in my 90, I decided to downgrade to the 30L or leave the hobby.

I'm looking for someone to learn from to ensure I can stay in this wonderful hobby for the rest of my life.

The corals you see in my tank are just the corals that have done well in my system. For every coral you see, there are 3 dead corals that I tried keep.

Here is an example of some of my problems. My Green Sinularia is having tissue necrosis and I have no idea why. I've tried increasing flow and blowing off the dead bits with a turkey baster. Won't open up at all. Used to be 3x the size with amazing extension.
7dc2b2269742eee54bacecf67d42025e.jpg
I would consider myself an intermediate reefer. I have been reefing for 8 years but it's mostly persistence, not skill. After killing dozens of hard corals, having a tank wipe out due to velvet and constant algae problems in my 90, I decided to downgrade to the 30L or leave the hobby.

I'm looking for someone to learn from to ensure I can stay in this wonderful hobby for the rest of my life.

The corals you see in my tank are just the corals that have done well in my system. For every coral you see, there are 3 dead corals that I tried keep.

Here is an example of some of my problems. My Green Sinularia is having tissue necrosis and I have no idea why. I've tried increasing flow and blowing off the dead bits with a turkey baster. Won't open up at all. Used to be 3x the size with amazing extension.
7dc2b2269742eee54bacecf67d42025e.jpg
I had the necrosis problem right after I got mine. Tried everything. Kept getting worse. Finally cut off the healthy parts, threw away bad and just stuck pieces between rocks. They all grew to the rocks and one dying coral became three healthy ones

Bfoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the necrosis problem right after I got mine. Tried everything. Kept getting worse. Finally cut off the healthy parts, threw away bad and just stuck pieces between rocks. They all grew to the rocks and one dying coral became three healthy ones
One more thing, they don’t seem to like a pristine tank

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back