MikeC's SOFTY TANK

Tjakes680

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one seriously amazing tank im keeping reefs since the 90 s and thats absolutely amazing i always keep a softie tank as well as sps but honestly if i had to choose btween one or the other i would pick my softie tank

Tom Giddens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MikeC's SOFTY TANK

I must say I couldn’t be happier with my decision to convert to softies.

After having my sps dominant tank for 2 years and loosing it to flatworms :( needles to say I was pretty bummed out.
I made up my mind to start over with a upgrade(because that was the excuse I had lol ) and also a Qt tank.

That was all set up and chugging along with some wonderful help from my fellow reefers that provided me with great frags to get me back on my feet(Thank you all you know who you are;).
Unfortunately one night RTN set in:(

All the while I still had some LPS and zoos that made the transfer and everyone that saw the tank being re-created always mentioned what wonderful movement my gonipora had and didn’t seem to notice the sps with the new growth lol.

Now I understand that the novices would say that but the truth was I enjoyed the movement so much better myself and I think I was caught up in the Social Stigma that soft corals are for beginners, easy and not taken seriously amongst the “real reefers”
Now don’t get me wrong i love and respect a well maintained sps tank but Im also not embarrassed to say Im proud of my non stresful Softy tank ;)

Hope you enjoy the photos AND MY WORK IN PROGRESS.
I would also love to hear from other soft coral lovers.
Nice ,Are you getting new growth on the gorgs and sponge?

a1_zpsfafo7s4q.jpg

a2_zpsivbqqyat.jpg

a3_zpsjvjfvftt.jpg

10_zpsepru5vlb.jpg

12_zpsvtntbrtz.jpg

7_zpsf0msr2td.jpg

8_zpsu1ldrkhl.jpg

11_zpsoxguy8oa.jpg

9_zpsfgbjljzu.jpg

3_zpsifnqt5up.jpg

5_zpsfdadabjp.jpg

1_zpszkopl2cq.jpg

2_zps2tpjmxzz.jpg

6_zpsufg80ep1.jpg

4_zps7hocucp1.jpg

13_zpsttpsdnwd.jpg

a4_zpslughbkua.jpg

Kurt Hammel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MikeC's SOFTY TANK

I must say I couldn’t be happier with my decision to convert to softies.

After having my sps dominant tank for 2 years and loosing it to flatworms :( needles to say I was pretty bummed out.
I made up my mind to start over with a upgrade(because that was the excuse I had lol ) and also a Qt tank.

That was all set up and chugging along with some wonderful help from my fellow reefers that provided me with great frags to get me back on my feet(Thank you all you know who you are;).
Unfortunately one night RTN set in:(

All the while I still had some LPS and zoos that made the transfer and everyone that saw the tank being re-created always mentioned what wonderful movement my gonipora had and didn’t seem to notice the sps with the new growth lol.

Now I understand that the novices would say that but the truth was I enjoyed the movement so much better myself and I think I was caught up in the Social Stigma that soft corals are for beginners, easy and not taken seriously amongst the “real reefers”
Now don’t get me wrong i love and respect a well maintained sps tank but Im also not embarrassed to say Im proud of my non stresful Softy tank ;)

Hope you enjoy the photos AND MY WORK IN PROGRESS.
I would also love to hear from other soft coral lovers.

a1_zpsfafo7s4q.jpg

a2_zpsivbqqyat.jpg

a3_zpsjvjfvftt.jpg

10_zpsepru5vlb.jpg

12_zpsvtntbrtz.jpg

7_zpsf0msr2td.jpg

8_zpsu1ldrkhl.jpg

11_zpsoxguy8oa.jpg

9_zpsfgbjljzu.jpg

3_zpsifnqt5up.jpg

5_zpsfdadabjp.jpg

1_zpszkopl2cq.jpg

2_zps2tpjmxzz.jpg

6_zpsufg80ep1.jpg

4_zps7hocucp1.jpg

13_zpsttpsdnwd.jpg

a4_zpslughbkua.jpg
Wow very nice pictures.

Matthieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most beautiful soft reef tank. Have you an advice for a little belgian reefer (wo doesnt speek very good english) ? Sarcophyton and other soft corals don't open since 2 month. Parameters are ok and the LPS are beautifull. Can i put something to help them to open ?

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most beautiful soft reef tank. Have you an advice for a little belgian reefer (wo doesnt speek very good english) ? Sarcophyton and other soft corals don't open since 2 month. Parameters are ok and the LPS are beautifull. Can i put something to help them to open ?
Honestly, I contribute a lot to my DIY blender mish feeding of as much fresh food as possible.
Some version of this mixed up once every 6 months put into freezer bags.
Then I place small some into a bottle with RO water and feed 4-6 times a day. "SMALL AMOUNTS"
Screenshot_20170429-092335.png

Screenshot_20170429-092442.png

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! I have both a SPS tank...a lps tank and a Softy tank and while the SPS tank seems to be doing well...I would still choose lps and softies over them any day!

I just love the shapes and movement.

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,then mix of food. Any amino acid ?
I have used Fuel amino acid in the past but haven't noticed a difference other than if you use too much you will get a algae bloom.
I think they are getting enough from the fresh foods especially whole foods like clams and their stomach content/bacteria and such.
The key is to find the right balance for your tank as far as feeding amount and maintenance. If you feed to much or have too many fish you're going to have a lot of upkeep to have a healthy tank,If you feed too little your coral will not be happy.
It takes time to find that balance and it changes as you add things(new coral or fish)to it.

Back