MikeC's SOFTY TANK

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike,
I hope this finds you well. It has been a moment since we spoke last. I’ve decided to redo my whole system and would like to go for a softie/lps tank of sorts. Much like last time we spoke. I’ve redone my whole tank and aquascape to start from ground zero. Started with dry rock and the system has been sitting for three months at this point. The only thing from the old set up are my fish.
Porcupine Puffer
Green Bird Wrasse
Coral Beauty
Mystery Wrasse
Blotched Anthias
Lyretail Anthias
Orange Shoulder Tang
Scribbled Rabbit Fish
Des. Sailfin Tang
Yellowbelly Blue Hippo
Mated pair of designer Maroons
And various blennies and gobys

Beside the return, flow is run by 2x MP60’s running at 30% (mid side panels on 5’ x30”x24” tank running Lagoon mode) and 2x MP40’s ( lower back side panels @ 30% running Lagoon mode). Lighting is 5 XR15 Gen3 with diffusers running the AB WWC profile. Dosing Triton Core, Cal @ 530, Alk @ 8, MG @ 1400, NO3 @ 7, PO4 not traceable.

I’m itching to start getting a few corals in, to get some movement going. I have a couple Goni frags that are doing well. Is there anything as far as live stock that stands out as an issue? I am a little worried about the Coral Beauty, but it would be a nightmare to catch.
What would you suggest to start with if you were starting from scratch again? And where would you shop from? Locally most of the LFS are concentrated on sticks, so it’s very hard to find some quality softies. I’ve been lurking on Marine Farmers also. Looking for pop and movement, but don’t want to be over run by weeds ( Pom Pom, ect).

E05D6808-9E57-4A3A-B31D-D97DB580A930.jpeg D5A66729-E455-4687-BDF7-786B20B39B22.jpeg 73A8005F-E41F-4920-92F9-D8F9FB4AA5D6.jpeg

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! I am a big softie fan too. I've kept reef tanks for 10 years or so, but also freshwater. One thing that always bugged me was the FW tanks were so peaceful due to the swaying plants...but the SPS tanks are a lot more jarring, and hard for me to watch for long periods of time. Just very bright and static. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful..just not peaceful/meditative/calming, which is what I go for in my tanks.

My current tank is mostly softies and LPS. Gonna upgrade to a big one with just a few SPS for contrast. Soft corals are the way to go IMO. Not to mention, they grow quickly, are easy to trim, cheap, and very forgiving to keep.

I applaud people who keep high level SPS tanks, but to me it is more of a technical feat than an aesthetic one. I am currently trying to perfect my skills in reef aquascaping to the level of some of the FW tanks, but there are many more variables in a reef tank. Softies work great because they are easier to scape with.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike congrats on TOTM, well deserved! Can you tell me what youre currently dosing the tank with other than the big three. Are you adding iodine or potassium? I had a large fiji leather and a large colony of sinularia melt on me recently and trying to figure out why. I do a 10% weekly WC and the softies will grow well then when the reach a particular size, some seem to melt on me out of no where.

OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200328_103112.jpg

The SPS system I attached to this tank a year ago has exploded and also doing very well. I do believe there is a direct correlation between growing SPS alongside a softie tank with success as long as they are separate but together. They both drain into the filtration system then go back separately to each tank.
I also run carbon.

seayu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your softy tank has absolutely inspired most of my coral choices. I have some huge healthy leathers due to that influence.

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200315_102832-01.jpeg

Tank is still doing very well I hope to do an update video soon rumor has it that Samsung is going to bring back their pro mode for video through an update on my phone which was excellent for taking videos
Absolutely beautiful! Both tanks. I'm partial to softies so that is my preference, but amazing work. Super natural looking and clearly very well cared for. My dream one day.

Patrick.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best tank ever! A couple questions both related to fish. I noticed in some of the older photos you had multiple firefish. Were you able to keep them from killing each other? Also in your recent stock list you mentioned a starry and lawnmower blenny. Do they get along okay? Thanks!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update video

Screenshot_2020-07-10 Softies SPS combo reef tank.jpg

My gosh man I’m kinda speechless!!! Seriously always loved your reefs but this is truly inspiring!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MJC

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gorgeous.
question.... tank on the left.... any concern with the plate coral growing on to the glass?
and I'm questioning if you think there is any pressure pushing against the glass?
It is on the glass but no concern with pressure it will have to be trimmed soon now that the video is done lol

Crusty22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is hands down one of my favorite tanks I've ever seen. I was curious, do you dose iodine? And if so, what is your preference for how to dose it?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the update! I agree with above one of my all time fav. tanks. ( and there are a ton of amazing tanks out there)
when you are ready to frag some of your softies let me know..lol

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back