Anyone know

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of seahorse is this. Was told comes from more southern waters not usually found past Florida. I got it in northern waters off Jersey

3C0EB5FE-789F-4DB8-9E9F-0AC1875B5E4F.jpeg

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so I’ve had two different people here that have many many yrs experience n both said almost same thing. All I know is he’s part of my family. No matter what gender he is
Well that's an odd response to someone offering help, I'm pretty sure whatever it is that it doesn't like rainbow gravel and cheap plastic plants, but that's just my opinion.

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so I’ve had two different people here that have many many yrs experience n both said almost same thing. All I know is he’s part of my family. No matter what gender he is
I'm not sure who you had help but h. combs (tiger tails) dont have cirri. I'm positive its erectus and likely the northern variety as it has a short snout. Combs have very distinctive coronets (or rather lack thereof) and bright white/yellow tail stripes which yours doesnt have.

Quite honestly care wise whether erectus or combs wouldn't matter much as the care is the same. Good luck with your ponies!

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of seahorse is this. Was told comes from more southern waters not usually found past Florida. I got it in northern waters off Jersey

3C0EB5FE-789F-4DB8-9E9F-0AC1875B5E4F.jpeg
I missed the Jersey part of your post. Comes are native to the Philippines/Thailand, would be highly highly highly unlikely you would encounter Comes off shore in Jersey.

Erectus on the other hand are native to the east coast of the US, from Florida to NY. Hence northern vs southern erectus and their typical type.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many characteristics of erectus

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody is right, it s a Hippocampus erectus, northern stain obviously.
You can sometimes find northern stains in south florida also, in the wild.
The extensions are skin extentions called "cirri". Usually quite common on juveniles, they loose them in captivity when maturing, but not always. It help them camouflage better. So in a tank, with no micro (ugly algaes) or finely ramified macro algaes and the absence of predators, they have no use to display them for camouflage purpose

DSC07035.JPG

These are all brothers and sisters, some never developped any, some had then loose them, but at the end a very few keep them

Last edited:

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's an odd response to someone offering help, I'm pretty sure whatever it is that it doesn't like rainbow gravel and cheap plastic plants, but that's just my opinion.
After different trials with wild and captive bred, honestly they don t care if the gravel is multicolore and if they have plastic plants.
BUT, this type of gravel is not made for saltwater, and even in freshwater, some might leach substances.
Also the type of granulometry is wrong (sediment trap in saltwater) and it doesn t bring what saltwater substrate bring to the water.
If it was in my tank i would remove it immediatly.
About fake hitches, they don t care if it s natural, fake... Something to take into consideration is confort. I tried many types of hitches (fake, real, plastic, silicon, resin, urethane, nylon...) and a soft, rounded section, is always the most prefered. Around 1/2 inch diameter is the most appreciated.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everybody is right, it s a Hippocampus erectus, northern stain obviously.
You can sometimes find northern stains in south florida also, in the wild.
The extensions are skin extentions called "cirri". Usually quite common on juveniles, they loose them in captivity when maturing, but not always. It help them camouflage better. So in a tank, with no micro (ugly algaes) or finely ramified macro algaes and the absence of predators, they have no use to display them for camouflage purpose

DSC07035.JPG

These are all brothers and sisters, some never developped any, some had then loose them, but at the end a very few keep them
Thank you this is Great info

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back