Anyone successfully using TM Plus NP?

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading posts about plus NP for several days but haven't found the answers I'm looking for. Are any of you using plus NP successfully to raise nutrients? From what I have read we can not measure what plus NP is adding to the tank so how are you judging success? I am considering trying this product as I have terrible GHA and I'm not a person that freaks out over some here and there. The algae is growing very well but many of my sps frags are not doing much and comments about a few from people with more experience with SPS said it looks like they are starving. I'm currently dosing N and P to keep level detectable but the tank doesn't look any better so I'm wondering if plus NP would be worth a try but am concerned how to know if its working since I can't test for it. I just don't want to make matters worse. Also take note I now little to nothing about chemistry ;)

I would really like to hear from people actually using the product please
@fishface NJ I read in one of the post from September that you were using it?

Last edited:

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read we can not measure what plus NP is adding to the tank so how are you judging success?

I am from Tropic Marin and I have developed the product, so I am not sure if I can give you exactly the answer you wanted. :) I am sure more experiences will follow.

You describe your problems very well. So why not just watch whether problems better?

Finally numbers don't matter, you want your tank to look better and your corals to grow. Just dose it according to instruction and judge the success by looking into the tank, is my suggestion. :)

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally numbers don't matter, you want your tank to look better and your corals to grow. Just dose it according to instruction and judge the success by looking into the tank, is my suggestion. :)
This is what I'm starting to think I should do. I'm starting to get tired of chasing numbers and testing multiple times a day trying to get a pattern figured out. Numbers are good one day maybe 2 then 0 etc. I think I will give Plus NP a try. If it works then things becomes less complicated and if it doesn't then so be it, at least I will have tried a new approach and at this point I doubt it can do any harm. Thanks for taking time to reply. Having deveoplers of a product reply is very helpful and doesn't happen often enough.

ShawnM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only tell you my experience of using it is the same manor smh it wasn’t good nutrient dropped right out smh. I stoped it. Started with bw mitrobac 7 and half does nP bacto balance and now I dose bw neo nitro and everything looks amazing

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only tell you my experience of using it is the same manor smh it wasn’t good nutrient dropped right out smh. I stoped it. Started with bw mitrobac 7 and half does nP bacto balance and now I dose bw neo nitro and everything looks amazing
Sorry but what is smh?

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you testing N and P while using it and didn't see them increase or were you going by how the tank was looking? Reason I ask is because most of what I read said plus NP doesn't raise N and P that we can measure as hobbiest. Just looking for info thanks.

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it per instructions and it bottomed out phosphate in less than a week.

I use it once per week at half dose now.

On a stable SPS dominated 10 gallon nano with no skimmer a half dose will drop nitrate by 10 and phosphate by .1

I would start very slow and test daily for two weeks to determine your trajectory.

ShawnM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran test and looked at my corals once I added normal nP at half dose and mb 7 with neo nitro tank is rock solid stable followed what sunnyx is doing

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it per instructions and it bottomed out phosphate in less than a week.

I use it once per week at half dose now.

On a stable SPS dominated 10 gallon nano with no skimmer a half dose will drop nitrate by 10 and phosphate by .1

I would start very slow and test daily for two weeks to determine your trajectory.
Thanks for replying. This is what I don't understand. I read a statement @Hans-Werner made (don't remember the post because I have been reading many) but he stated you can not use plus NP to raise measurable N and P because the ingredients are not measurable using hobby grade test kits yet I keep reading people talking about testing when dosing plus NP so I'm a little confused.

Last edited:

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replying. This is what I don't understand. I read a statement @Hans-Werner made (don't remember the post because I have been reading many) but he stated you can not use plus NP to raise measurable N and P because the ingredients are not measurable using hobby grade test kits yet I keep reading people talking about testing when dosing plus NP so I'm a little confused.
I don’t trust my reef to manufacture statements. If I can’t measure nitrate and Phosphate, I dose until I can. If they are high, I lower with carbon dosing TM Plus NP or TM Bacto Balance. Both products behave exactly the same, and are dangerous if dosed per manufacture instructions, at least in my experience.

I test..., every day ALK, every three days Nitrate and Phosphate, every week mag and calcium. And I do a weekly 10% WC.

These things are part of my therapy, and I have a responsibility to keep my reef alive. Being lazy and reefing are not congruent.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t trust my reef to manufacture statements. If I can’t measure nitrate and Phosphate, I dose until I can. If they are high, I lower with carbon dosing TM Plus NP or TM Bacto Balance. Both products behave exactly the same, and are dangerous if dosed per manufacture instructions, at least in my experience.

I test..., every day ALK, every three days Nitrate and Phosphate, every week mag and calcium. And I do a weekly 10% WC.

These things are part of my therapy, and I have a responsibility to keep my reef alive. Being lazy and reefing are not congruent.

I test daily N&P and alk, calcium and mag once a week. I also do small daily water changes so I'm not lazy. I also don't belive everything that manufactures state but If the person that develops the product says the contents can't be measured I would be hesitant to just keep dumping it in untill N and P are measurable. I'm just getting a roller coaster ride dosing N and P and am looking for something more stable. Ideally I could just feed more but that hasn't worked either. I'm still confused or maybe I'm just stupid, people have said that before :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: but how can you use plus NP to lower nitrates, is the statement that the ingredients used can not be measured with our kits total misinformation?

EDIT: I guess I was wrong it seems P can be measured but not N. From Hans in This tank thread
"When dosing Plus-NP or NP-Bacto-Balance please ignore nitrate and only check for phosphate" my bad :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Last edited:

ShawnM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told you what you can do brightwell neo nitro will bring your nitrates up follow the directions as well with the neo phos but with this just does till it’s detectable that is. I dose 1ml of brightwell mitrobactor 7 0.5 ml of nP bacto balance and 0.5 ml neo nitro daily nitrates are stable at 14. The nP will feed the extra bacteria from the mb 7 and stable things out. Sunny x has a whole article on it via is web site look him up on Instagram

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told you what you can do brightwell neo nitro will bring your nitrates up follow the directions as well with the neo phos but with this just does till it’s detectable that is. I dose 1ml of brightwell mitrobactor 7 0.5 ml of nP bacto balance and 0.5 ml neo nitro daily nitrates are stable at 14. The nP will feed the extra bacteria from the mb 7 and stable things out. Sunny x has a whole article on it via is web site look him up on Instagram
Thanks for the link. I have been dosing using sodium nitrate and phosphate to raise levels which works fine just looking to stabilize things once levels are up. I'll read through the article and look into the brightwell products.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ShawnM24
So I should dose up so I can use carbon dosing to bring nutrients down? Raising the nutrients (N &P) then reducing them by carbon dosing provides the coral food as a by product? Just trying to learn here so excuse the ignorance. I think its starting to click but I'm not sure :thinking-face:

AV corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works for me! I dose 4 pumps whenever my nitrates get low around 5ppm. My tank thrives at 20-25 nitrates ppm and phos levels off .06-.1 Just be sure you do not dose too much otherwise you’re gonna have nitrates / phos levels skyrocket and be sure to have means to lower slowly such as a reactor or nopox. Slow and steady !

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works for me! I dose 4 pumps whenever my nitrates get low around 5ppm. My tank thrives at 20-25 nitrates ppm and phos levels off .06-.1 Just be sure you do not dose too much otherwise you’re gonna have nitrates / phos levels skyrocket and be sure to have means to lower slowly such as a reactor or nopox. Slow and steady !

I appreciate everyone's input but this is the kind of answers I am looking for. I know there are a ton of options available I'm just interested in plus NP at the moment. One step at a time. Thank you AV corals sorry for the screwy quote :confounded-face:

Back