Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you lost me. all good - good luck with your oxydator

So you posted 3 different graphs - showing the same thing - (not sure how you did it - unless you had 3 different monitoring devices). I still don't get the POINT you're trying to make - so - the Orp went up - then went down.
I was just trying to show the change in ORP on adding the oxydator. I took three screen shots, with and without the cursor over it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was just trying to show the change in ORP on adding the oxydator. I took three screen shots, with and without the cursor over it.
Thanks - now it makes sense - I thought the Cursor was pointing at something that you were trying to say. I'm curious - did you follow the ORP for a longer period of time - did it stabalize at the higher Level (expected) - or even slightly increase - or did it go back to baseline.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - now it makes sense - I thought the Cursor was pointing at something that you were trying to say. I'm curious - did you follow the ORP for a longer period of time - did it stabalize at the higher Level (expected) - or even slightly increase - or did it go back to baseline.
Indeed it did! Here is 12 hours of usage following the initial spike:

1642192577117.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats interesting. So a stable increase in ORP - from (I think) 289 - to 344

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats interesting. So a stable increase in ORP - from (I think) 289 - to 344
Yes, that's what I'm seeing. Interesting because if I add H202 directly to my water the ORP registers a sharp drop. I think this also contradicts the effects @Lasse was seeing in his thread concerning H2O2 against ORP.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, that's what I'm seeing. Interesting because if I add H202 directly to my water the ORP registers a sharp drop. I think this also contradicts the effects @Lasse was seeing in his thread concerning H2O2 against ORP.
Yes exactly

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I have a lot to learn after just now coming across this little gadget (I was looking to run ozone, but not now)...

What exactly are the little catalyst tablet looking things that react with the peroxide?

Thanks

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I have a lot to learn after just now coming across this little gadget (I was looking to run ozone, but not now)...

What exactly are the little catalyst tablet looking things that react with the peroxide?

Thanks

That's what they are catalysts
They break the peroxide down into it component parts of super oxygen which is similar to ozone and water. The affect is also similar to running ozone but much cheaper and self controlling so no need for a redox controller etc. If you want more information and are on Facebook then we have a Facebook group, oxydator user group.

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed my Oxydator. Doesn't seem any effect.

I'll try a real ozone one day.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed my Oxydator. Doesn't seem any effect.

I'll try a real ozone one day.

Like anything you have to use it right with sizing and % of peroxide with number of catalysts. Unfortunately the instructions are fir freshwater hence one of the reasons we have the Facebook group to advise etc.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought mine was doing nothing until I took it offline. Then I realized a lot of subtle things the oxydator was providing. More clarity, less film algae, etc
That's the kind of thing many people report using Oxydators. They raise the redox, clarify the water and increase oxygen. Many also report more vibrant colours in their fish along with increased vitality. Tangs like Achilles benefit from the increase in oxygen.

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what they are catalysts
They break the peroxide down into it component parts of super oxygen which is similar to ozone and water. The affect is also similar to running ozone but much cheaper and self controlling so no need for a redox controller etc. If you want more information and are on Facebook then we have a Facebook group, oxydator user group.

I mean, what is the little black tablet thing made of? Piece of activated carbon?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back