Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Facebook group called the Oxydator user group.
I answer most questions on there. However, I also have lots of info posted in the files section on the group for those interested irvwanting more information on Oxydators and their use. Feel free to join our growing group.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Facebook group called the Oxydator user group.
I answer most questions on there. However, I also have lots of info posted in the files section on the group for those interested irvwanting more information on Oxydators and their use. Feel free to join our growing group.
Just applied

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peroxide doser. Using a needle and air line valve I had laying around I was able to achieve a 5ml per 24 hour dose rate. My system is a total of 50 gallons. I used a dab of hot glue to prevent accidentally turning the valve. The air line check valve prevents spills should it fall over. I'd be curious to know how much h2o2 is being dosed per day by an Oxydator, as a catalyst may be a simpler way to dial in the dose. Nevertheless, this didn't cost me anything and the sundried tomatoes that were in the jar were delicious.

1581899368003.png

Last edited:

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I think the answer is in here, but I'm not sure I've found it so I want to ask. These seem to have the bubbles coming out of the bottom, but need a few inches of water above them to make them work properly. So if I want one in my sump instead of my DT, I need to make sure it is short enough, or create a baffled area with some extra height. "A" is the right size for my DT, but I need to make sure I've got ~ 9 inches of depth - correct?
Also, I could see getting one for my QT. That would be a D, but it would go right in the tank, so an A would fit fine. Other than cost, and I suppose risk of knocking it over and overdosing, would that be a problem? (eh, suddenly the D seems like a much better fit based on those 2 things alone).

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My peroxide doser. Using a needle and air line valve I had laying around I was able to achieve a 5ml per 24 hour dose rate. My system is a total of 50 gallons. I used a dab of hot glue to prevent accidentally turning the valve. The air line check valve prevents spills should it fall over. I'd be curious to know how much h2o2 is being dosed per day by an Oxydator, as a catalyst may be a simpler way to dial in the dose. Nevertheless, this didn't cost me anything and the sundried tomatoes that were in the jar were delicious.

1581899368003.png
Just a little, little,little bit of platina in the jar, airtight in the cover - and you have a DIY oxydator!

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I think the answer is in here, but I'm not sure I've found it so I want to ask. These seem to have the bubbles coming out of the bottom, but need a few inches of water above them to make them work properly. So if I want one in my sump instead of my DT, I need to make sure it is short enough, or create a baffled area with some extra height. "A" is the right size for my DT, but I need to make sure I've got ~ 9 inches of depth - correct?
Also, I could see getting one for my QT. That would be a D, but it would go right in the tank, so an A would fit fine. Other than cost, and I suppose risk of knocking it over and overdosing, would that be a problem? (eh, suddenly the D seems like a much better fit based on those 2 things alone).
I have the same problem. I have an Oxydator A placed in my return compartment. Surface only around 1 - 2 cm above the "ball" but it is placed just under the overflow from the skimmer apartment - high flow area. it works well!

Sincerely Lasse

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lasse - using the skimmer overflow was exactly my plan, so I'm glad to hear it works for you.

I have the same problem. I have an Oxydator A placed in my return compartment. Surface only around 1 - 2 cm above the "ball" but it is placed just under the overflow from the skimmer apartment - high flow area. it works well!

Sincerely Lasse

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking a little closer - I see the A is twice the capacity, twice the height, and twice the price of the D. I could think about 2 D's instead of one A. The only immediately apparent downside is that the A is clearly marked as capable of using 19.9% H2O2, and the D says use 3% or 6%. So if I can get some 12% or 20% at competitive cost, I suppose I'd have longer run-time on an A than on 2 D's. Does that make sense?

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking a little closer - I see the A is twice the capacity, twice the height, and twice the price of the D. I could think about 2 D's instead of one A. The only immediately apparent downside is that the A is clearly marked as capable of using 19.9% H2O2, and the D says use 3% or 6%. So if I can get some 12% or 20% at competitive cost, I suppose I'd have longer run-time on an A than on 2 D's. Does that make sense?
The reason I think why you cant use a higher % of peroxide in the model D is that there is little contact time between the peroxide exiting and the ceramic base. With the A model much of the escaping peroxide comes in contact with the ceramic beaker breaking it down before it reaches the surrounding water.

Being so much smaller you would be refilling the D a lot faster than the A and with a lower concentration of peroxide it wouldn't be as effective.

IMO the A is better made than the D esp on how the cap fits on the A with its turn locking cap. You have to be careful with the D cap and ensure it is pushed firmly home all the way round. Also do not put the D back by holding the acrylic part as it can partially dislodge from the ceramic bottom and cause excessive leakage of peroxide.

Wherever possible I would always recommend a larger model rather than 2 of the smaller ones.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the W and it sits in my sump, just next to the return pump. There is about 2" of water above it, as it's quite a large reactor. But it seems to be just fine. I have noticed a few positive differences since adding the oxydator but those changes did not happen overnight. The nuisance algae/bacteria has gone from my sand bed though it took almost two months (I manually removed some as well). Clarity has been good though I do still add carbon once in a while to pull the yellow out since I don't do water changes very often. The corals and fish seem mostly unaffected though growth of several species has increased since adding the reactor. Possibly a coincidence. My skimmer is performing better and pulls out more waste. This is certainly helping to manage excess nutrients. Overall, I'm very happy with the reactor.

Back