Apex A3 Jr with Trident

russell.dexter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for the forum,

I am looking at a monitoring only solution to replace my daily testing and was wondering if I could pair a trident with the A3 JR as it will shave about $300.00 off the purchase price of a A3 Apex plus Trident;

1. 1x - Apex A3 Jr Controller System
  2. 1x - Apex TRIDENT - Automatic Water Tester w/2 Month Reagents & Calibration Fluids
  3. 1x - 24VDC 36W Apex Power Supply for DOS & FMM (PS-36-US) - Neptune Systems

I just want to make sure this solution will work before I hit the button

Thanks!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for the forum,

I am looking at a monitoring only solution to replace my daily testing and was wondering if I could pair a trident with the A3 JR as it will shave about $300.00 off the purchase price of a A3 Apex plus Trident;

1. 1x - Apex A3 Jr Controller System
  2. 1x - Apex TRIDENT - Automatic Water Tester w/2 Month Reagents & Calibration Fluids
  3. 1x - 24VDC 36W Apex Power Supply for DOS & FMM (PS-36-US) - Neptune Systems

I just want to make sure this solution will work before I hit the button

Thanks!
Yes, they actually sell those together on saltwateraquirium.com as a bundle. The apex jr can do anything the other apexes can do, with added upgrades.

OP
OP
russell.dexter

russell.dexter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they actually sell those together on saltwateraquirium.com as a bundle. The apex jr can do anything the other apexes can do, with added upgrades.
Thanks Matt- awesome. I'm sure I'll upgrade but wanted to start with at least a monitoring solution and then go from there.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but if you’ve never owned an Apex before I suggest getting the Apex learning it a but then getting a Trident. You may end up constantly messing with the trident and could be testing instead.

My question is why are you testing every day? Is your alk swinging that much?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only want to monitor why not get something like a Kamoer KH Carer to monitor alkalinity. I use one but I also have the data input into my Hydros to dynamically dose All For Reef and a KH buffer to the tank. I check calcium and the other parameters weekly with Hanna testers or test kits. I also check alkalinity with the Hanna just as a conformation of the KHC values. I doubt you would need to test the others more than once a week. Also the KH Carer is capable of dosing a KH buffer depending on the reading if you do decide to do that. The dosing pump is built into the tester to do that with.

OP
OP
russell.dexter

russell.dexter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only want to monitor why not get something like a Kamoer KH Carer to monitor alkalinity. I use one but I also have the data input into my Hydros to dynamically dose All For Reef and a KH buffer to the tank. I check calcium and the other parameters weekly with Hanna testers or test kits. I also check alkalinity with the Hanna just as a conformation of the KHC values. I doubt you would need to test the others more than once a week. Also the KH Carer is capable of dosing a KH buffer depending on the reading if you do decide to do that. The dosing pump is built into the tester to do that with.
I was looking at the KH Carer as well - but was looking at the price point versus the Apex and was thinking for the extra few $$$ why not get a unit that could monitor all three parameters versus just alk. in the future I can always upgrade the apex system to utilize dosing etc - just figured it was a good place to start at.

I’m just getting into sps so I’m thinking that being able to test multiple times per day automatically would be better then testing manually every few days. (Honestly testing is the least favourite part of the hobby for me - but I know how important it is If I’m looking to grow sps)

Thanks for the feedback and hit me up with anymore suggestions- I appreciate them !

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the KH Carer as well - but was looking at the price point versus the Apex and was thinking for the extra few $$$ why not get a unit that could monitor all three parameters versus just alk. in the future I can always upgrade the apex system to utilize dosing etc - just figured it was a good place to start at.

I’m just getting into sps so I’m thinking that being able to test multiple times per day automatically would be better then testing manually every few days. (Honestly testing is the least favourite part of the hobby for me - but I know how important it is If I’m looking to grow sps)

Thanks for the feedback and hit me up with anymore suggestions- I appreciate them !
I dose All For Reef which is suppose to replenish almost everything. In my case though I have add some KH buffering also. The calcuim is pretty much stable. If the alkalinity drops the dosing pumps will increase the amount does within the range I have set for each. The Hydros controller has control of both dosing pumps and I use dynamic dosing. The graph below is the inputs in my Hydros from the KH Carer. This is done via the web and there is no direct connection between the Hydros and the KH Carer. I test at 2:00 am, 8:00 am, 2:00 pm and 8:00 pm each day. The test takes a little over 30 minutes to complete. An hour after the test starts the dosing pumps will dose. That gives the Hydros time to get the new values before the dosing occurs. The time on the graph is an hour ahead. This has been like this since daylight savings time started. I get the test data as an example around 2:45 but it says 3:30 on the tile. I think it is on Kamoer's end. It has been reported but it does mot affect anything as far is the dosing is concerned. The second screenshot is the All For Reef dosing data. The third is the KH buffering which is baked baking soda mixed in DI water ( Randy's recipe ). The alkalinity reading does cary during the day some so you will want to test at the same time or times each day. You can import the alkalinity reading and pH reading from the KH Carer into the Hydros. The KH carer does read about .1 below the pH probe on the Hydros but it is calibrated with pH7 and pH 4 and the Hydros is calibrated to pH 10 as well. Also the last test remains in the testing beaker until the next test so the pH probe on the Carer has sit in a more acidic environment that the tank water. Other wise they do track each other fairly well. Since the test only occur 4 times a day the graph has a stair step look to it.

365322E4-3A71-499A-BD46-99A1E500F839.png

C6119FE7-98F4-4A91-BE7A-9986823A2C65.png

78EB4418-7379-44EB-99C1-71785A52F488.png

vanguard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Apex and Trident. I LOVE it. It's made me what neptune calls a "Control Freak". I check it all day long. I love knowing the temp, PH, Alk, CA, etc.

I automated my feeding and lights with it. At this point, Apex integration is essential for anything I buy. If you don't work with Apex, you don't work for me.

Anyway, I think you'll like it. It's been my observation that buying bundles doesn't save much if any money. Because of that, there isn't really any harm to piecing it together over time.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back