Apex connection

Shwn51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved. Apex was running fine. Apex was always wired by Ethernet cable. I was on Comcast an at my new location internet provider is Centurylink.

I set everything back up, rebooted the Apex unit. It gives me the blue, green, purple then to the orange logo. Both eb832’s have a solid orange logo as the base unit. I’m not able to pickup or see the Apex on the network. I try connecting the Apex directly to computer still nothing. Any help suggestions?

Neptune is stating bad eb832’s??

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with your Apex unit first before adding the EB if you feel it's giving you issues. Are you getting a network address or IP for it?

OP
OP
S

Shwn51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with your Apex unit first before adding the EB if you feel it's giving you issues. Are you getting a network address or IP for it?
I’m getting nothing from it. I’m not tech savvy. When I initially set it up I could see it show up

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the link light on the ethernet port lit up green (activity blinks yellow)?

1659960580520.png

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The activity light is different from the other. It sounds like it has good connectivity. I would try following this and see if you can get the unit showing not offline at least in Apex Fusion. Don't worry about the EB832 until after it shows online. Then you can plug the USB into both and see if they show up.

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have this same problem myself. Can't access locally, not even by IP. No problem connecting via Fusion, though. Go figure. Following...

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of you will need to know what your IP is and that of your Apex. If they are wired, chances are they will be on the same physical and logical network and if they are wireless, will likely be as well (not always). In most residential setups, the IP address of your gateway is typically that which issues addresses and routes data to websites, etc.

Try finding your own that you are writing to me on this.

OP
OP
S

Shwn51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The activity light is different from the other. It sounds like it has good connectivity. I would try following this and see if you can get the unit showing not offline at least in Apex Fusion. Don't worry about the EB832 until after it shows online. Then you can plug the USB into both and see if they show up.

If you don’t connect the eb832 how else do you power the unit? I don’t have a power supply? I’m honestly thinking it’s a router setting vs a hardware issue being the activity light blinks, but something is blocking it from appearing on the network. It will not allow me to get the blue logo for Wi-Fi.

OP
OP
S

Shwn51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of you will need to know what your IP is and that of your Apex. If they are wired, chances are they will be on the same physical and logical network and if they are wireless, will likely be as well (not always). In most residential setups, the IP address of your gateway is typically that which issues addresses and routes data to websites, etc.

I do know the router IP address and can access the router, there’s so much crap showing that’s there, but theoretically don’t see anything listed as Apex. It’s showing like 11-12 separate items on that address. Some I can figure as cell phones but the others no idea.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t connect the eb832 how else do you power the unit? I don’t have a power supply? I’m honestly thinking it’s a router setting vs a hardware issue being the activity light blinks, but something is blocking it from appearing on the network. It will not allow me to get the blue logo for Wi-Fi.
My bad, I forget the head unit provided the power for that. I'm pretty confident it would turn on with any 5v 1A USB charger and USB-A to USB-A cable, but yes, you'll need it plugged in.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know the router IP address and can access the router, there’s so much crap showing that’s there, but theoretically don’t see anything listed as Apex. It’s showing like 11-12 separate items on that address. Some I can figure as cell phones but the others no idea.
Well, this is a plus! This is likely your routers DHCP or network assignment page. If you have automatic assignment of addressees, the Apex will be in here. I can't see what you are seeing but there will be a range of addresses to be issued. The Apex can only be one of those unless you've reserved it to another. If you do have it connected, try removing the router and going Apex to your computer.

I do know if you press a paper clip into the back of the unit where there's a tiny pinhole for about 5 seconds or so, the unit will reset and go blue. Once complete, you can revisit the set up as new. It doesn't create a new Apex Fusion account for you or anything, just the network setup again. Maybe that's an option in your case.

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know the IP of my Apex (it configured itself as static) but it just times out. Easier to just use Fusion, which connects just fine.

OP
OP
S

Shwn51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this is a plus! This is likely your routers DHCP or network assignment page. If you have automatic assignment of addressees, the Apex will be in here. I can't see what you are seeing but there will be a range of addresses to be issued. The Apex can only be one of those unless you've reserved it to another. If you do have it connected, try removing the router and going Apex to your computer.

I do know if you press a paper clip into the back of the unit where there's a tiny pinhole for about 5 seconds or so, the unit will reset and go blue. Once complete, you can revisit the set up as new. It doesn't create a new Apex Fusion account for you or anything, just the network setup again. Maybe that's an option in your case.
If I go apex to computer what and where am I looking for? I have gone so far as to write down all the IP addresses on the router, so I’d need to go to the browser and check each address?

I’ve tried resetting and getting it to the blue logo, but it will not stay blue. It will cycle through the colors and goes solid orange.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go apex to computer what and where am I looking for? I have gone so far as to write down all the IP addresses on the router, so I’d need to go to the browser and check each address?

I’ve tried resetting and getting it to the blue logo, but it will not stay blue. It will cycle through the colors and goes solid orange.
If its doing this, it could be because its wired.

Without a crossover Ethernet cable, you'll be best to be connected via a wireless means like your phone or PC. You'll need to ensure you are properly resetting the unit until its blue. If you have a mobile phone or device connected to wireless or WiFi and this Apex unit is also one of the newer in the last few years that's capable, then I would go this route first. Make sure to unplug your network cable while doing the reset.

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems I can't connect directly to the head unit via IP, I have to connect via the Fusion website.
Correct. It cannot be managed locally. Most of these are IoT and use MQTT and the like to manage from "the cloud" but do not permit local management. If you wish to manage its network settings, that can already be done in Fusion.

Click gear and then click Wifi symbol and choose Configuration tab.

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. It cannot be managed locally. Most of these are IoT and use MQTT and the like to manage from "the cloud" but do not permit local management.
Ah. So then this is expected behavior. My bad, I thought the Apex had an internal web server we could log into locally for immediate control. Does the Android app work the same way?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back