Apex pH help

Mtrask

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Yesterday I added an Apex el to my tank as well as upgraded the crappy lights that came with my cube to a kessil. I have a 28g cube. I setup the Apex and calibrated the pH probe and today it is saying my pH is 9. I have tested three times with my api kit and it is showing 8. My husband unfortunately tossed the calibration solution so I don't have any at the moment. All other peramaters in the tank seem great and the fish seem happy. I did a 10% water change yesterday as well. Should I be trying to lower my pH or order more solution? Any advice would be appreciated. I will add a picture of my most recent test and my tank.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Yesterday I added an Apex el to my tank as well as upgraded the crappy lights that came with my cube to a kessil. I have a 28g cube. I setup the Apex and calibrated the pH probe and today it is saying my pH is 9. I have tested three times with my api kit and it is showing 8. My husband unfortunately tossed the calibration solution so I don't have any at the moment. All other peramaters in the tank seem great and the fish seem happy. I did a 10% water change yesterday as well. Should I be trying to lower my pH or order more solution? Any advice would be appreciated. I will add a picture of my most recent test and my tank.
If at this point your test kit is showing you a normal PH reading, and everything in the tank is doing fine, I wouldn't do anything to the tank. Order the calibration packets and recalibrate when they come in. With a PH of 9 you'd be seeing the effects in the tank :)

OP
OP
M

Mtrask

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20181216_234323057_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mtrask

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If at this point your test kit is showing you a normal PH reading, and everything in the tank is doing fine, I wouldn't do anything to the tank. Order the calibration packets and recalibrate when they come in. With a PH of 9 you'd be seeing the effects in the tank :)
Ok thank you!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Crabs says trust your API kit for now, PH probes from Apex can be finnicky. When I calibrate mine I let probe sit for 3 mins in each solution. I start with 7.0 solution, then 10.0 then retest 7.0. You should see it bottom out at 7.0 when you retest.

OP
OP
M

Mtrask

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Crabs says trust your API kit for now, PH probes from Apex can be finnicky. When I calibrate mine I let probe sit for 3 mins in each solution. I start with 7.0 solution, then 10.0 then retest 7.0. You should see it bottom out at 7.0 when you retest.
Ok great. I just ordered more fluid

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The light was worth the money! I am glad I upgraded the crappy strip that came with the tank
Kessil is my absolute favorite lighting, they don't call me the Kessil Koolaid man for nothing ;)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! :) Definitely don't make any changes based on your current probe reading. It's a good idea to leave probes in your circulating tank water for a couple of days before attempting calibration. Then, use calibration fluids that are at tank water temperature (easiest way is to create a mini water bath for the standard solutions in your sump; be sure not to spill any, though.) Another suggestion is to always do manual calibrations rather than using the automatic calibration feature; auto cal tends to move on the next step too early, before the number has truly stabilized.

OP
OP
M

Mtrask

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! :) Definitely don't make any changes based on your current probe reading. It's a good idea to leave probes in your circulating tank water for a couple of days before attempting calibration. Then, use calibration fluids that are at tank water temperature (easiest way is to create a mini water bath for the standard solutions in your sump; be sure not to spill any, though.) Another suggestion is to always do manual calibrations rather than using the automatic calibration feature; auto cal tends to move on the next step too early, before the number has truly stabilized.
Thanks! I'll do that when my fluid gets here

Seasidenj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes order fluid and recalibrate.Wash probe off with rodi water before recalibrating

OP
OP
M

Mtrask

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a fluid kit and it arrived today with all but one bottle completely empty. I just can't win!! Maybe my local fish store has some in stock. That was a waste of money!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back