OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First want to thank @cmcoker for tagging my thread which I hope provides some insight on how both the devices do certain tasks. I just posted this on my thread so I am just posting it here also, below were some of my observations when it comes just to the base unit itself

Base_1.png
base2.png
base_3.png

Apex has more features embedded into the HTML interface, accessible form any device that can open a web-page and does not require the use of a desktop app to configure. But will require you to use advance programming language when a function you want are not presented on the drop down menus.

GHL has more features not yet embedded into the HTML interface, and because of this require the use of a desktop app. When those features are converted to HTML the user will be able to program advance logic through those drop down menus as they can today through the GCC desktop app, never having to use a programming language and I believe we have access to more options because of what is already available within the desktop app. With some options within the P4 already their that require module to be added for the Apex to do the same task. (Ex. Flow monitoring, requires a FMM module to be installed for a Apex Unit but the P4 does this out of the box). Apex has some modules that GHL does not have for example WAV, COR, Radion control lighting. GHL has own LED lighting (LightBar, Simulation Bar and the LX series), Air/Humidity Sensors and Cooling fans.

Both devices have advantages and disadvantages and will control and monitor your tank, the good thing is we have great forum here and people that are knowledgeable about both devices, that can and will assist on issues or questions on either device.

My choice was based on stability, an expensive lesson for me to learn on the importance of stability, I have no regrets doing the switch from Apex to GHL. Their are posts of GHL to Apex, and Apex to GHL, my hope was to allow people to see the difference of how both units operate so they can decide which way to go.

WOW @Ditto !!!
This is an absolutely awesome comparison. Exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thank You for sharing this.

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto I have one other question for you...
I have two 120G tanks. Would ONE GHL Controller allow me to monitor and control both tanks, or would I need to purchase a second GHL Controller to control the second tank ?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Finatik - your welcome :) I have other sections almost done and plan to post more soon.

I have one mistake that @kodo28 pointed out in my switching controller thread and will update the chart but want to give credit credit for correcting me
- Apex is using 0-10v
- Profilux is using 1-10v

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Finatik - you could purchase one P4 and one expansion box to do both tanks. The expansion box has all the ports similar to the P4 and is what I have on my quarantine tank. The expansion box has ORP, PH, temp and salinity ports and also accepts 2 expansion cards. My P4 was not close enough to the other tank. If they are close you could place two expansion cards inside the P4 (PLM-PH/Redox-DigTemp) and a (PLM-CondF-Redox) also. Just would want to confirm with GHL to confirm as I used the expansion box due to the distance between the tank.

You can program the ports, outlet on each tank to different tasks, the display units would be the same on both tanks no way to have two different displays show for example tank 1 is this and tank 2 is this (I tried hehe). I have for example ATO on both tanks using a one maxi to do both tanks. Head 1 is for my display head 2 for the quarantine tank

You can also do the same with an apex 2016 by purchasing external modules 2 pm1 and pm2. (ORP, PH, Salinity and Temp)

Some things I have learned:
You can have a maximum of 4 flow sensors even with the expansion box.
You can have a maximum of 12 level (need to confirm this tonight and will edit) sensors even with the expansion box.
You can have a maximum of 16 dosing channels even with the expansion box.

So to answer your question. Yes without any issues unless you think you may exceed the above :).

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my research and discussions at RAP Orlando with GHL I agree the GHL controller is a more robust unit. What I did not like is the user interface and ease of out of the box use, the GHL is more for those who want and like to program it verses using it.

For someone well over 60 programing is not something I enjoy anymore, I wanted as much plug and play as possible and while the Apex has its issues the GHL is not user friendly.

So far the Apex has been easy for me to set-up and use. Then again my needs are small, Temp monitoring and control, pH, Salinity and ORP (I use Ozone). I have an independent ATO and lights are controlled independently and they work well so why should I connect them. I will be adding dosing in the near future and a Gyre 1K but again once I set the unit there is no need to make additional changes.

For a controller company to stand out they will need to offer something different:

A controller which is out of the box easy to use and connect
Offers a clean easy to understand user interface.
Expandable to a users needs.
A low initial purchase price, allowing the user to purchase just what they want and need.
Support, live telephone, direct connect via internet and a service center on the same continent (getting support from Taiwan like ekoral is not acceptable).
Offering a full range of accessories or allowing 3rd party manufactures to connect to the controller.

I am sure other here can think of more.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the BRS ULM series, they are using a single Apex to control all three tanks. As @Ditto described above, you can do that with GHL as well.

It's like trying to pick a car without the test drive, it may look good on paper, but you might hate driving it. The other common issue is you love it, but something happens in six months, a year, or 18 months down the road, that makes you lose confidence. Or tech support manages to tick you off during your challenges. There are just enough users of both that you can find *someone* that had the same experience as you.

@Ditto thread on the transition is amazing, look at the process he goes thru. Don't glaze over all the steps. You can find similar threads for Apex, or watch the recent BRS video on Apex for ULM. Between those two, hopefully you can find the right one.

I agree with @Tiger-Paws summary above, I think most people would be happier with a Neptune.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Network connectivity will always have challenges when you are piecing together a wireless bridge/router that is not supported by the company. The new one does away with this by having the router as part of the package. I think that was an excellent idea and long overdue since they can have startup from a power outage synced to avoid those problems. The only time I have a wireless problem is if my Apex boots faster than my bridge anf gets out of sync or my bridge has the problem connecting. Many others have signal problems when they place the unit inside the stand or they really are not knowledgeable on how to deal with and trouble shoot network problems. Just because you can connect you phone to a wireless connection does not mean anything :). But with wireless now supported, that’s very nice.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3.jpg

May the best controller win! :D
Ok...I actually just love both of these mounting solutions by @Elder1945. :D :D :D

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Apex Classics on my QT tanks. There hasn't been any problem with connectivity because I have ethernet wiring and switches that they are connected to. Also, with two of them I have redundancy when one fails. (Three things in life you can count on; death, taxes and hardware failures.)[emoji4]

I went the Apex route mostly based on what BRS has done and their recommendations.

Also, the leak detectors have saved me and I won't run any controller without them.

Last edited:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone confirm or deny these connectivity issues that I keep hearing about ???

As a software engineer with several decades of networking experience, I tend to take anything that average Joe says about networking with a large spoonful of salt. IMHO, the vast majority of WIFI problem people complain about are due to cheap, improperly configured network components. I have an Apex Classic, connected via cable to a WIFI bridge. It's totally reliable, never gives me a bit of trouble, and yes, I even update firmware connected in this manner. No problems. Now... the router is of good quality, configured properly, updated regularly, and it's error logs are monitored. The WIFI bridge is of good quality, properly configured, and regularly updated.

You buy a $29 router at wally world, run though their setup wizard once, and expect that it's going to run without issue, without maintenance, for several years... it's just not going to happen.

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a software engineer with several decades of networking experience, I tend to take anything that average Joe says about networking with a large spoonful of salt. IMHO, the vast majority of WIFI problem people complain about are due to cheap, improperly configured network components. I have an Apex Classic, connected via cable to a WIFI bridge. It's totally reliable, never gives me a bit of trouble, and yes, I even update firmware connected in this manner. No problems. Now... the router is of good quality, configured properly, updated regularly, and it's error logs are monitored. The WIFI bridge is of good quality, properly configured, and regularly updated.

You buy a $29 router at wally world, run though their setup wizard once, and expect that it's going to run without issue, without maintenance, for several years... it's just not going to happen.
LoL! Some of us are not tech savvy, we hire others who are. Maintenance on my tech gear? That is what a squawk sheet if for after a successful mission.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can not speak about the GHL I have 2 Apex, I have not had any connection problems of really any issues. Only time I have a hard time with my Apex is if I loose power and I am out of town. The Apex boots befor my router and modem and it stays off line until I or someone can reset it. I really depend on this system

Thekegk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question was asked about connection dropping with apex. I have had my 2016 apex for 5 months now. I have it under my stand and half way across my house from my router that is in a different room. I have yet to have a connection issue with this. I was worried about it with others comments but am very happy with the apex.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both great products with great support and great loyal customers that are pretty much matched up.

I've had both. Both are great.

Both companies are very active with their user base on this forum as well.

Last edited:

Heroca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL all the way.
Marco is the man behind the pruduct in the U.S and he will go out of his way in order to help his customers. He drove 2 hours to my area at no charge in order to deliver a component that I forgot to order and I needed to finish my build....he could have just shipped it but he just wanted to make sure that I got it in time. Marco is a class act in my book.

ReefDweller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get more pro Apex responses here simply due to the number of Apex users out there vs GHL and there are even fewer who have experience with both... I switched from Apex to GHL and will never look back. Yes, there is a less desirable UI on the current GHL but in every other meaningful category, I feel GHL is superior to Apex... My GHL is as stable and accurate as they come and I've never once experienced a dropped connection, outage or control error. Not to mention, the new Apex looks like it was designed by an elementary school kid ;)

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a software engineer with several decades of networking experience, I tend to take anything that average Joe says about networking with a large spoonful of salt....

As another software engineer with decades of experience, I can say my GHL components have some of the worse WiFi connectivity I've encountered over hundreds of devices in two decades. I've encountered so many software bugs in GHL software bugs it's breath-taking. As someone else said, they are both hobby grade equipment in a hostile environment.

There are quite a few of these threads now, probably enough pro/cons on both models that it's at least buyer-beware regardless of your choice.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back