Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both; from what I remember.

GHL
-More expensive
+Parts are of higher quality [like optical sensors]
-Less control due to GUI interface
+User friendly [more plug-and-play]
+More reliable [have yet to read any horror stories - but I assume it has much less userbase than Apex]
-Lower concern to user feedback [might have changed]
-Customer service used to take forever
-Need to buy SIM card for SMS alerts
-Programming outdated

Apex
+Limitless control options due to programming interface
+Cheaper overall
-Less reliable
+More control over 3rd party devices
+Take user feedback more seriously
+Responsive customer service
+Cloud service is much better
+Alerts and alarms are from the cloud, no need for SIM card

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some quick clarifications :)

GHL can send text alerts, but you can buy a SIM module that can send an alert even if the internet is down independent of any connection to the internet or phone line that uses cell service.

You have the web interface on the P4 the GHL app and the cloud service that have 95% of the functionality not requiring the use of the desktop GUI interface. The GUI desktop interface is needed for example firmware upgrade and Vortech programming.

Neither the APEX nor the GHL have limitless control options. As a user of both, both have limitations.

Feedback from the users has been seen already in the changes on the web and GHL app interface. New options like maintenance mode were 100% user requested features.

As for GHL support, my experience has been great.

A good thread to review to see some of differences between the two are within the thread below

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switching-controllers.316106/

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some quick clarifications :)

GHL can send text alerts, but you can buy a SIM module that can send an alert even if the internet is down independent of any connection to the internet or phone line that uses cell service.

You have the web interface on the P4 the GHL app and the cloud service that have 95% of the functionality not requiring the use of the desktop GUI interface. The GUI desktop interface is needed for example firmware upgrade and Vortech programming.

Neither the APEX nor the GHL have limitless control options. As a user of both, both have limitations.

Feedback from the users has been seen already in the changes on the web and GHL app interface. New options like maintenance mode were 100% user requested features.

As for GHL support, my experience has been great.

A good thread to review to see some of differences between the two are within the thread below

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switching-controllers.316106/

They might have improved; but when I owned mine their customer service took forever as it was based in Germany at the time; they only had one distributor in N. America and they would days or even weeks to answer questions on their forum. Seemed very dead-end to me. Hence why I jumped to Apex; felt like a breath of fresh air.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be time to let die the GCC interface, it looks really 90's old with still bugs and a lot of freezing or errors.
Having 3 interfaces doesn't brings any advantage to me. it is for sure time consuming for all of us. Time consuming for customers to keep firmware up to date and fight against errors and GHL time consuming to fix and keep the 3 interfaces new releases.
Time that could be allowed to the Cloud Dev which sounds to me to be the interface to focus on.

Last edited:

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL is moving its software forward just as Apex did with Fusion. Before Fusion Apex programing was not for the faint of heart. GHL is about drop down boxes and not formula's. They are committed to moving forward for sure.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before Fusion you were able to log into the web interface and work with it. Basically it was a bit more rough around the edges but bit bad. I learned it. And had no issues with. Remember this was back 2014 and before days

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before Fusion Days? Before Fusion you would login into the web interface just as you can do now. True it is a much cleaner and
Better looking interface but you were able too and work with it just fine. It actually reminds me of what the images I have seen of the GHL and PI interfaces are today. ( which have been many)
Also remember that first came out a long time ago if I remember correctly as far back as 2013 or so

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old apex classic and gold days where we had multiple dashboard tabs. The green, blue, red graphs, those were the days. When we had to use a desktop or laptop to upgrade the device. Where advance programming was the norm :).

When fusion first came out we were upgrading our devices constantly as they were adding new features and bugs fixes. I believe the same can be now be said for GHL. Yes, it can be annoying and takes 15-30 minutes of the our day with most of being backing up the config but a necessary evil for progress. Also some of the updates are necessary due to new products being introduced, KH director for example.

I also hope and stated this on another thread that they never get rid of the GCC desktop application it provides us old timers a way to do things. Yes it is the 90’s look but some of us have no issues with that.

As for 3 interfaces for GHL, good for them. They are showing the commitment of creating an app that not a mobile version of a web site, and for the people who are use to the desktop app are getting the same treatment, and a cloud service for those who like that type of feature. What I will give them kudos for is really you have to learn two interfaces the GCC desktop interface and the non GCC desktop interface. I was worried when the first instant of myghl web came out that we had a 3 interface to learn but user feedback I believe changed the way myghl was going to look so now the P4 web interface, myghl cloud service, and GCC mobile app all share the same look and feel and functionality. I really like the mobile app!!

The reefing community have some great options today in monitoring and if you wish controlling tank functions. Each year the advancements in controllers is seen in functionality, features and interface enhancements it going to be an exciting 2019.

Last edited:

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both an older Apex, and the newer one. I've had no problems so far with the new one.

However, full disclosure on the old one, twice I had the programming wiped clean on it. I believe this is due to the fact that I turned the log retention periods up on the unit, and it overwhelmed it, and probably filled the internal storage. I had no issues before I did this.

Fair warning. Never do that. If the apex fully resets, all the outlets return to the base settings. The base settings assume things like the skimmer is on outlet 5, or the heater is on outlet 4 (or whatever, don't remember now). If you plugged the heater into 5, well now it's on an always on port, and the reset will hose you. Take careful note of what the defaults are for each outlet, and try to wire to compensate though, just in case.

That being said, the VDM ports are defaulted to absolute stupid.

I'm a pretty big Apex fanboy, even though there are a number of issues I wish the unit didn't have. I've been working on some external monitoring of the unit, to deal with this.. When I get that done, I'll probably post it somewhere..

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both an older Apex, and the newer one. I've had no problems so far with the new one.

However, full disclosure on the old one, twice I had the programming wiped clean on it. I believe this is due to the fact that I turned the log retention periods up on the unit, and it overwhelmed it, and probably filled the internal storage. I had no issues before I did this.

Fair warning. Never do that. If the apex fully resets, all the outlets return to the base settings. The base settings assume things like the skimmer is on outlet 5, or the heater is on outlet 4 (or whatever, don't remember now). If you plugged the heater into 5, well now it's on an always on port, and the reset will hose you. Take careful note of what the defaults are for each outlet, and try to wire to compensate though, just in case.

That being said, the VDM ports are defaulted to absolute stupid.

I'm a pretty big Apex fanboy, even though there are a number of issues I wish the unit didn't have. I've been working on some external monitoring of the unit, to deal with this.. When I get that done, I'll probably post it somewhere..

I am too was with the classic as well. I even had a APEX with a freshwater tank. ( before my knew better day)
So if you get around to your external monitoring done would love to see it.
Thanks

2BeAlive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can I restart this discussion pls. Have to buy my first “real” integrated controller and have got it down to these two.

Main concern with Apex is power monitor on 220V power bar, is/can this really still be an issue today (2020)?

It looks like GHL has caught up with most of the other issue? Just not sure am about the scale of 3rd party equipment support?

@Idoc do you have an updated comparison?

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can I restart this discussion pls. Have to buy my first “real” integrated controller and have got it down to these two.

Main concern with Apex is power monitor on 220V power bar, is/can this really still be an issue today (2020)?

It looks like GHL has caught up with most of the other issue? Just not sure am about the scale of 3rd party equipment support?

@Idoc do you have an updated comparison?
Check out this thread for a really detailed discussion on the topic. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switching-controllers-from-apex-to-ghl.316106/

Light reading version can be summed up in the picture tables posted.

Neptune hasn't updated their 220V powerbars. They are still EB8s.

What 3rd party support are you looking for?

2BeAlive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Check out this thread for a really detailed discussion on the topic. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switching-controllers-from-apex-to-ghl.316106/

Light reading version can be summed up in the picture tables posted.

Neptune hasn't updated their 220V powerbars. They are still EB8s.

What 3rd party support are you looking for?

Hard to believe that in this day and age companies still struggle to adapt to different power feeds

Basic stuff like pumps and lights?

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Hard to believe that in this day and age companies still struggle to adapt to different power feeds

Basic stuff like pumps and lights?
I would wager that there is a combo of smaller EU market and still pushing Trident for 110V users.

Pumps and lights that are 1-10V compatible works. There is a Vortech module for the MP series pumps, but likely that will be retired with Ecotech's changes before long.

I use the power sockets for on/off control for maintenance, alarms, and timers. 1-10V controls my Tunze powerheads and Kessil lights. I have flow sensors on my two life support pumps and a pressure sensor for my skimmer's collection cup. My KH Director combined with CARX is keeping my Alk at a variance of .1-.2 dkh.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Finatik - your welcome :) I have other sections almost done and plan to post more soon.

I have one mistake that @kodo28 pointed out in my switching controller thread and will update the chart but want to give credit credit for correcting me
- Apex is using 0-10v
- Profilux is using 1-10v
Ditto I have gone down to 0Vdc and I’ve not had any issues with values between 0Vdc and 1 Vdc with my P4 without any issues. I make my own led lights and can get them to turn on/off in the 0-1Vdc range.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from Apex to GHL. I had the hardest time understanding the logic for programming with the Apex. For me the programming logic for the GHL just clicked for me. My biggest complaint with the P4 is the firmware update process. If anyone has any specific questions ask away or feel free to PM me.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back